Operational Data Systems and Support Section, Global Data Service (GDS)
Title: Associate Information Management Officer
Vacancy No: CPH/VN/2022/017
Duty Station: Copenhagen, Denmark
Duration: from 02 May 2022 to 31 December 2022
Contract Type: UNOPS IICA-1/LICA-9 (depending on the status of the selected candidate)
Closing date: 11 April 2022 Midnight CET
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. We deliver life- saving assistance like shelter, food and water, and develop solutions that ensure people have a safe place to call home where they can build a better future. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 130 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
The High Commissioner has elevated data as a corporate priority and strategic asset and formalized the creation of the UNHCR Global Data Service (GDS). In its Data Transformation Strategy 2020-2025, UNHCR established its vision to be a trusted leader on data and information related to refugees and other affected populations, thereby enabling actions that protect, include, and empower. This shift to becoming a more data-enabled organization requires a sustained commitment, data governance, the alignment of data procedures and systems, and dedicated resources. Located in Copenhagen and Geneva, the Global Data Service plays a vital role in enabling the implementation of the vision, priorities, and key actions of the Data Transformation Strategy 2020-2025.
As part of the Global Data Service, the Operational Data Systems and Support Section (ODSSS) implements and maintains technical solutions and processes that enable UNHCR colleagues to capture efficiently and systematically, use, share and highlight quality data at all levels of the organization.
The section is the focal point in UNHCR for supporting the collection, analysis, and dissemination of operational data, including training, on related methodologies and activities. ODSS work towards information management solutions that provide real-time and open data, support protection principles and are interoperable with the systems of UNHCR partners.
The Operational Data Support Unit under the ODSSS is in charge ensuring that corporate operational data systems are rolled out, documented, and supported. In addition, the unit maintains a community of practice around the different systems to ensure their sustainability, functional, fit for purpose and available for users in UNHCR or other agencies/partners. The unit provides remote and on-site support to divisions, regional bureaux and operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Associate Information Management Officer will:
- Provide support to the users of Global Operational Data Systems.
- Help the promotion of best practices in data collection.
- Develop new complementary solutions and extend/adjust current tools as needed.
- Provide support for ongoing and new projects to field operations, bureaux and HQ divisions.
- Provide user training, capacity building, and promote best practices in data collection, analysis, visualization, and dissemination.
- Develop and maintain user guides related to operational data systems.
- Provide on-site or remote support to field operations.
- Provide technical support to data collection projects.
- Act as backup of the Information Management Officer (Systems Support).
- Any other tasks as required
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The Associate Information Management Officer will:
- define objectives with the supervisor at the beginning of the contract.
- produce weekly brief and monthly status reports which will form part of the end of year report.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification
University degree in information technology, information management, computer science, demography, statistics, social sciences, or any related area.
Minimum 2 years of experience with Masters degree/ 3 years with Bachelors degree in a relevant position (information or data management) is required.
Field experience in design and implementation of mobile data collection exercises is desirable.
- Proficient user of data management software and familiarity with survey design and data collection (e.g., Ms Excel, XLSForm, MySQL, KoBoToolBox, ODP, RIDL, PSR, MDL, and PowerBI).
- Demonstrated resource management skills and familiarity with UNHCR administrative procedures.
- Experience maintaining, supporting and building of data and information management systems;
- Experience with handling confidential data.
- Experience in data collection and analysis.
- Proven ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure and within deadlines.
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken) is essential, and knowledge of additional UN languages is desirable.
- Flexibility and adaptability; team working; good communication skills; and professional and personal integrity.
Location and Conditions
The successful candidate will be located in Copenhagen, Denmark.
It is a full-time role starting from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply online through the MSRP Portal with a Letter of Interest
- Job Opening ID 34880: Associate Information Management Officer
Local individual contracts apply to a person who is hired in the country in which he or she is to carry out the required functions, regardless of the nationality of the person.
For any technical problems encountered during the online application, please contact the Global Service Desk at [email protected] by allowing sufficient time for the resolution of issue.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
The deadline for applications is Monday 11 April 2022 midnight CET