International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC is at work today in over 40 countries and 29 U.S. cities. The IRC’s Resettlement, Asylum and Integration (RAI) department creates opportunities for refugees and other vulnerable migrants to gain stability and control of their future. RAI serves more than 50,000 individuals each year, through a diverse portfolio of programs aimed at five core outcomes: Health, Safety, Economic Wellbeing, Education and Power. IRC’s safety and wellness programs help heal and rebuild communities that have been deeply affected by grief, loss, and displacement by providing mental health and psychosocial support, mental health and interpersonal violence screening, and referral as needed to more specialized supports.
Since late spring 2022, New York City (NYC) has experienced a significant increase in the number of asylum seekers after having recently arrived via the US southern border. Much of this is due to the transport of asylum seekers from Texas and Arizona to New York City which was provided by Texas and Arizona state and local authorities. With over 18,000 newly arrived migrants, the Mayor’s Office in collaboration with New York City’s Health and Hospital (NYC H+H), four Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Centers (HERRCs) have been established within the boroughs of NYC.
The IRC has been tasked with providing technical support in the areas of legal orientation, case management, the establishment safe spaces for children and women and delivering best practices for preventing the abuse and exploitation of guests by staff or vendors. Technical support will be provided through the development of trauma-informed client-centered subject matter materials and trainings. Additionally, referral pathways based on strategic community partnerships with other service providers, government agencies, foundations, employers, and additional key stakeholders will a be developed and provided.
The Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Center (HERRC) project lead is responsible for the oversight and implementation of the technical support program to the NYC H+H and DocGo run HERRCs in New York City with potential oversight to other cities if needed. The anticipated duration of this assignment will be 3 months.
- Model, promote and uphold a culture of values as reflected in the IRC way: Standards of Professional Conduct – Integrity, Accountability, Service and Equality and the Respect at work policy.
- Provide leadership, oversee, and supervise IRC staff implementing the technical support as outlined in the Scope of Works (SoW) with NY H+H including leading recruitment as needed.
- Partner with IRC’s Technical Units, on the development of subject matter and trainings including the coordination of the delivery of trainings.
- Monitor the delivery of key indicators per the SoW to ensure compliance with all program standards and grant requirements in accordance with donor and IRC.
- Oversee budget and approve expenses, ensuring costs are maintained within allocated budgets and timely submission of contractual reports and payment requests.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the Executive Director on the status of programs, outcomes and provide timely reports on any management and contract compliance issues.
- As primary contact, develop and maintain effective working relationships with NYC H+H, DocGo and other stakeholders.
- Oversee communications to staff, HQ and partners and facilitate high level visits as appropriate
- Comply with all IRC policies, procedures and protocols including adherence to the IRC Way and Child Safeguarding.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- At least 8 years of experience in leading field sites in refugee or IDP-hosting countries overseas, refugee processing centers or domestic resettlement programs
- Experience in managing teams
- Experience representing an NGO (preferably the IRC) in a high-pressure, complex environment
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, emergency response environment
- Proven ability to negotiate and work with partner organization
- Proven ability to maintain scope of operations
- Proven team building skills in communication and conflict resolution
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Strong operational capacities
- Ability to respond to multiple priorities in a timely manner, producing high quality outcomes
- Must be a team player, detail oriented and reliable
- Ability to productively interact with a wide range and level of staff and stakeholders
- Strong computer competency with work processing, spreadsheets and other IT skills
Language Skills: Fluent in written and spoken English
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Position Reports to: RAI Executive Director- NY/NJ
Position Directly Supervises: Legal Orientation Program Coordinator, Case Management Program Coordinator, SEW Program Coordinator
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC staff (local and HQ, including Technical Advisors), interns, and volunteers
External: Government agencies, Community partners
- Standard office environment with [regular/occasional participation in community outreach and events, if applicable] [flexible remote/in-office hybrid, if applicable]
- [May require occasional weekend and/or evening work, if applicable]
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Compensation: Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirement
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
How to apply
Please apply on our website: