World Vision U.S. is hiring a Business Development Manager to serve on the Food Security and Livelihoods Team within our International Programs Division.
At a Glance
Role: Business Development Manager, Food Security and Livelihood (FSL)
Location: Washington, D.C. USA preferred; remote possible
Reports to: Director of Resource Development, FSL
Required Experience: Bachelor’s degree, required. Master’s degree in Agriculture, International Development or related technical discipline strongly preferred. A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the U.S.A. for any employer.
Travel: Up to 20% of the time, both in development and fragile contexts.
World Vision is looking for a Business Development Manager to provide day-to-day operational guidance and oversight on all aspects of positioning, bid management, and capture planning for her/his assigned funding stream portfolio.
- Contribute to introducing and maintaining continuous process improvements that support innovative and responsive bid design, in alignment with WVUS’ acquisitions process.
- Coach and support the Food Security and Livelihoods sector’s Business Development Managers to lead large and complex proposal development processes involving technical content and complex consortium partnerships.
- Support the FSL Business Development Director and Senior Director to build and maintain relationships with donors, peer organizations, research institutions, and the private sector. Help carry out World Vision’s mission, vision, and strategies.
- Personify the ministry of World Vision by witnessing to Christ and ministering to others through life, deed, word, and sign.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
Positioning for Proposals
- Support FSL BD Director to develop annual and quarterly forecast across all existing and potential public donors.
- Liaise with Funding Stream focal points, Senior Technical Advisors, relevant WVUS teams and other stakeholders to identify and analyze relevant upcoming funding opportunities.
- Support FSL BD Director in developing annual FSL Bid Strategy and targets.
- Work with FSL Business Development Managers and WV Field Offices to develop and execute capture plans to ensure World Vision is well-positioned for future funding opportunities.
- Grow and maintain strong relationships with assigned donors; including (in partnership with FSL senior technical advisors and program managers) regularly communicating project achievements, research
- Cultivating long-term strategic partnerships with private sector stakeholders and peer development agencies
- Manage her/his assigned FSL business development portfolio in coordination with Business Development Director to ensure revenue targets and other targets related to relevant FSL team strategies are achieved.
- Provide regular updates and analysis to Business Development Director on FSL Business Development team portfolio performance.
Process Development & Improvement
- Support the FSL Business Development Director in the development/adaptation of business development processes and tools relevant to the FSL team.
- Through ongoing coaching, ensure the team and key stakeholders are adhering to processes and utilizing tools.
Strategy & Technical Branding
- Provide annual updates to her/his assigned funding stream strategy; lead effort to socialize strategy with field offices and WVUS key stakeholders
- Support the Business Development Director in the design, roll-out, and execution of relevant FSL strategies and workplans.
- Remain up-to-date of industry trends and best practice and provide support and analysis to the Senior Director and Business Development Director in the FSL team’s revenue and thought leadership targets.
- Where requested, act as a representative of the FSL team and World Vision to forward the FSL technical brand.
- Build and maintain sustainable business relationships both internally with other business units and leaders, as well as externally with donors, multi-laterals, academic institutions and peer organizations
You Bring These Skills:
- Ability to lead a multi-cultural team of development professionals through complex proposal processes
- Analytical skills
- Organizational and task management skills
- Ability to develop strong consortia partnerships
- Emotional intelligence
- Understanding of USG donors and their priorities related to food security and livelihoods
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong writing skills
- Personify the ministry of World Vision by witnessing to Christ and ministering to others through life, deed, word, and sign
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience (eight years). Master’s degree in Agriculture, International Development, or related technical discipline strongly preferred.
In addition to education or education equivalent, requires work experience in international relief and development. Experience must include a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
Fluency in a second language other than English, preferred.
Specific experience leading Resilience Food Security Activities (RFSA), preferred
How to apply
Click here to apply. We look forward to reviewing your application.
What Happens Next? We review applications nearly every day assessing strength of fit for the role. Sometimes questions arise on our end, so we message you to learn more. Short-listed candidates are contacted for an initial phone conversation with our recruiting staff. Moving deeper into our selection process, select candidates can expect to participate in a panel interview and meet with additional members of the team. Finalists will end with a 1:1 with the hiring manager. Our most valuable resource is our talented staff. Our goal is to fill this vacancy with the right person in the shortest amount of time, so we have all hands-on deck to move this important work forward.