International Research and Exchanges Board
Who We Are
IREX is a global development and education organization. We strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals reach their full potential, governments serve their people, and communities thrive. With a projected annual portfolio of more than $100 million and more than 600 staff worldwide, we work with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party (COP) candidates for a five-year USAID-funded program in Serbia that is poised to capitalize on the momentum of Serbia’s digital evolution and a wave of innovation in Serbia’s independent media sector. With an increased emphasis on economic sustainability and a pay-for-results approach, the COP will lead activities aimed at the most dedicated and capable “early adopters” from various sectors, to catalyze their transformation into competitive and innovative businesses with savvy leadership and growth strategies, and position them for third-party investment.
We are doers. Our decades of on-the-ground experience help us create greater impact, practical recommendations, and lasting partnerships.
Are you the next member of our team?
Your Background & Skills
- At least five years of senior managerial experience in the private sector or with donor-supported development projects. Experience with USAID-funded contracts is an asset.
- Previous experience at Chief of Party-level or corresponding positions on international development projects, or senior managerial positions in private sector enterprises, including senior corporate management, partner/limited partner positions, and similar.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: media/digital development, financial / investment services, small- and medium-sized enterprise development, startup support, or wider digital economy development.
- Strong facilitation, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
- Proven track record of interacting and working effectively with different local and international stakeholders coming from various backgrounds and industries, including those representing media, entrepreneurs, financial, investment and digital sector actors, host government counterparts, and other donors and projects.
- Leadership skills must include the ability to motivate and coach project staff, along with local project partners and beneficiaries.
- Proven and effective personnel and resource management, coordination, and decision-making skills along with an ability to troubleshoot.
- Experience in supporting donor-funded development programs of similar size and complexity highly preferred
- Master’s degree in related field required
- English language fluency is required, including the ability to provide written reporting in English
- Experience living and working in an international development environment is an asset
Your Daily Tasks
- Serve as the key point of contact for this project with USAID regarding day-to-day implementation and management matters relating to the contract, as well as with key government officials, other donors and implementers, media stakeholders, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
- Overall managerial responsibility for project execution and project staff, including sub-awardees/subcontractors, assuring that all assistance provided under the contract is technically sound and appropriate, and adequately managing and supervising all work performed under the contract.
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program; deploying innovative and adaptive program implementation that fosters experimentation and encourages a refined and implemented approach.
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations
- Ensure program activities are implemented on schedule and within budget; responsively adapting to changes and lessons learned throughout implementation
- Supervise, manage, and mentor program staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee program budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities as well as facilitate learning and improvement across activities
- Represent IREX publicly and supports its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
How to apply
Please visit https://bit.ly/SerbiaCOP to submit your application.
IREX will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008.
We conduct background checks on all successful candidates.
This position is eligible for Telework.
This position is not eligible for Immigration Sponsorship.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
EOE – Equal Opportunity Employer