African Population and Health Research Center
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Communications Manager to lead the Visibility Unit- the team responsible for the Center’s internal and external communications.
The role is responsible for delivering both ad hoc and organized training and technical support in writing, editing, public speaking and presentation, to help highly technical and specialized research professionals improve their ability to effectively reach a variety of lay audiences. The ideal candidate should be able to think creatively, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. S/he will report to the Director, Policy Engagement and Communications Division.
- Serve as institutional editor-in-chief, supporting copy and content editing for a variety of products across six research units as well as for Center-wide promotional and visibility products.
- Mentor and guide a team of communications officers.
- Direct in-house training on public speaking and presentations for research staff.
- Lead media outreach including development and implementation of media strategy that includes pitches, field visits and responding to ad hoc media requests.
- Facilitate engagement with media for profiling of the Center’s work through media pitches.
- Monitor social media for any press / journalist requests APHRC might respond to.
- Respond in a timely manner to queries from local and national media.
- Package stories and information enabling us to pitch to print and online media.
- Arrange interviews and / or connect journalists with spokespeople from across the APHRC family.
- Manage APHRC media database.
- Conduct media monitoring.
- Oversee development of visibility products including promotional brochures, website content, newsletters and annual report.
- Contribute to development of innovative multimedia products including infographics, short films and animations.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, op-eds, annual reports, speeches, newsletters and other marketing materials that communicate APHRC’s activities.
- Ensure that all published content is delivered to high standards, within budget, and complies with the agreed curation guidelines.
- Ensure the APHRC brand is understood and complied with by all staff, in all external communications.
- Develop and deliver the Center’s social media strategy.
- Oversee the management of APHRC’s various social media accounts, with the support and input of the communications officers.
- Create interactive and engaging content that is tailored to a range of audiences.
- Write compelling copy for the website and social media, complying with APHRC’s editorial standards.
- Ensure the APHRC website is regularly updated. S/he will be responsible for consistency and quality control.
- Maintain a high standard for copy and content, meeting brand and style guidelines.
- Lead multimedia productions including video, photography and design.
- Supervise digital communications officers working in the Visibility unit.
- Coordinate visibility and online campaigns with other APHRC regional offices and implementing partners.
- Lead on wider partner stakeholder management and engagement, as well as mapping external audiences for APHRC content.
- Lead in the development of new branded assets to meet the needs of the Center -liaise with designers and external suppliers to ensure assets are produced on time, in budget, and to the required standard.
- Commission design work and asset production.
- Oversee the management APHRC’s digital photo library, and ensure the correct details are included (proof of consent, photographer credit, etc.) when they are uploaded.
- Monitor press coverage and social media metrics using APHRC-specific tools.
- Support the coordination of specific events and represent the organization externally when relevant.
- Perform any other tasks required to advance the division’s objectives.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field.
- At least seven (7) years’ work experience in communications, writing and content creation, preferably at an international organization in a communications role.
- Excellent editing and writing skills as well as ability to translate complex scientific facts into accessible messages for general audiences.
- Visual media skills including use of still and video camera; ability to develop video storyboards and basic editing to a professional standard.
- Experience of social media and community management, and of adapting a message to different audiences.
- Excellent existing network of media contacts.
- Excellent verbal communication and, ability to train and mentor.
- Demonstrated willingness to work as part of a team.
- Networking, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills coupled with resourcefulness initiative and maturity of judgment.
- Knowledge of graphic design and desktop publishing, including Microsoft Publisher, and Adobe or Corel suites.
This position is classified under Nationally Recruited Positions (NRP), Grade II in our scales.
How to apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by October 24, 2022.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons