About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 500 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
As towns, cities and countries around the world declare climate emergencies, seas rise, forests burn, glaciers melt, increasing numbers of people take to the streets demanding urgent action and our societies begin to wake up to what the science has been saying for many years, there has never been a more important time to be working on climate change.
About the role
The ECF’s strategic communications team is the outreach unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change and to play an active role in helping create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international, national and sectoral level. Team members deliver strategic advice, communications and outreach support to ECF’s programmes and its grantees, and work as part of a global network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions.
We are seeking an experienced and results-driven Compensation & Benefits Specialist. In this role, you are the trusted expert in all matters related to workforce reward. You ensure compliance with employment and social legislation in countries where we operate. You are part of our motivated People & Culture team working in a collaborative manner with our Leadership Team to implement our Employment Value Proposition.
This role reports directly to the People & Culture Manager.
- Be responsible for supporting the development, implementation and measurement of compensation and benefits programs;
- Ensure the coherence of the reward approach (salary levels & benefits) in alignment with the organisation’s goals, values and structure;
- In line with the reward approach, manage and review the compensation framework applicable to each country where we operate;
- Analyse and implement reward frameworks in new locations and countries;
- Develop and maintain policies in area of expertise;
- Conduct regular labour market research and submit detailed analysis to inform leadership decision-making on compensation and benefits;
- Maintain oversight for payroll and accurate processing of the payroll in all aspects;
- Ensure compensation and benefits practices and templates are up to date and compliant with local legislation (contracts, exit documents, etc), liaising with local authorities (social security, social inspection, etc) and legal counsel whenever necessary;
- Optimise internal processes and propose changes based on best practices to ensure effectiveness and cost efficiency;
- Draft and follow up the budget for activities including payroll;
- Compile internal audit data in collaboration with the Finance team;
- Provide reports on metrics to the Operations team and the leadership team;
- Fully own content areas and act as expert/advisor to People & Culture Manager and the organisation;
- Support the implementation of any applicable strategies;
- Participate in other projects as needed.
Experience and competencies
- Significant, proven experience in a similar role in an international organisation;
- Previous experience with payroll and employee benefits;
- Knowledge of labour laws and practices in a specific region;
- Excellent command of English (both spoken and written), knowledge of other languages would be an asset;
- Strategic thinker able to carry-on hands-on activities, solution-oriented and can-do attitude;
- Excellent collaboration, communication and influencing skills;
- Adaptation to changing priorities, with the ability to follow through with smart and adaptive implementation plans;
- Takes pride in delivering a high-quality service to the organisation;
- Impeccable work ethics;
- A strong interest in climate and the environment and the mission and values of ECF.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to professional activities;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A twelve-months consultant or employment contract (subject to location) with the possibility to extend. We are envisaging this as a full-time role, but are happy to discuss hours with the right candidate.
Flexible, within 6 hours of Central European Time. Some travel may be required as and when possible. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.
How to apply
How to apply
Please upload below:
- short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role
- both in English!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.