The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is looking for a highly qualified Country Director to ensure the continuation of our operations in Afghanistan and to lead strategy development and implementation in the coming years. For an experienced and dedicated professional, committed to the protection of displaced people, DRC is offering a challenging, rewarding and highly interesting position in a dynamic and complex work environment leading the organization into the future.
DRC started up operations in Afghanistan in January of 2012 and carries out a comprehensive set of activities reflecting specific local needs and conditions, focusing on improved protection and livelihoods as well as establishing contingency capacities along the entire displacement axis. DRC’s activities include: livelihood, Mine Action, vocational training community mobilization, community infrastructure, self-reliance grants, protection monitoring, emergency support, winterization, non-food items distribution, food distribution, emergency logistics as well as transport and distributions. DRC is working intensively in urban displacement settings but also in rural areas with high IDP or return rates.
About the job
Being a CD for one of the largest country operations in DRC, with more than 600 staff, the Country Director has direct line management responsibility for 8-10 staff, including a Head of Programme, Head of Support Services, and Deputy CD. The position is based in Kabul. The Country Director will report to Regional Director for Asia.
The Country Director will have the overall responsibility for the day to day management, strategy, programming, implementation, compliance, fundraising and continued development of DRC’s programme in Afghanistan.
- Represent DRC within Afghanistan to partners, donors and duty bearers and promote an optimal operational space for pursuing DRCs strategic priorities in coordination with all relevant entities
- Set and ensure the implantation of the strategic direction of DRC’s operation in Afghanistan in line with the corporate strategic direction and interests.
- Ensure that the programme is organized and effectively managed in order to both pursue new opportunities and ensure successful implementation of current operations
- Lead the process of securing funding and maintaining a broad donor base
- Responsible for the timely and efficient implementation, management and reporting on the resources entrusted DRC in Afghanistan by donors and partners
- Overall responsible for compliance with procedures in both programmes and support functions, including DRC and donor policies, local regulations and local labour law
- Ensure professional management of staff in line with DRC Human Resource policies. This includes direct management of line employees (including development, performance and recruitment) and overall people planning, staff performance and well-being in the country operation
- Responsible for risk management, safety and duty of care for national and international staff
- Ensure full support to the well-functioning of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system rolled-out in 2019
In order to be successful in this role, you must have the following:
- Minimum 7 years of senior management experience in emergency and/or post-conflict settings preferable with IDPs and/or refugees in a humanitarian agency
- Proven leadership skills and competences in people management, including ability to motivate and guide staff working in a complex environment; ability to work closely with a diverse team of individuals and to display and promote cultural sensitivity and respect of local contexts
- Relevant educational background e.g. political science, international development, economics
- Proven experience working with protection issues within the context of refugees and IDPs
- Proven experience of strategic programming and planning, organisational development, field implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- A strong ability to collaborate, network and negotiate with local partners; government officials, UN, donors and other NGOs including proven experience in developing fundraising strategies
- Strong analytical, negotiation, advocacy and communication skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
It is desirable that you can demonstrate:
- Experience working with DRC and familiarity with DRC processes and procedures
- Experience working in conflict-affected and insecure environments
- Security management experience and familiarity with remote management is an advantage
- Knowledge of the Afghan context is an advantage
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
*Striving for excellence:** You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
*Collaborating:** You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
*Taking the lead:** You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
*Communicating:** You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
*Demonstrating integrity:** You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 24 months, with possibility of extension (subject to funding)
Start date: June 2022
Duty Station: Kabul, Afghanistan, with frequent travel. Kabul is non – family Duty Station.
Employment band: D
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
How to apply
Find the vacancy at https://drc.ngo/about-us/careers/vacancies/