International Volunteer Service for Development
Duty station: Addis Abeba, with frequent missions to project areas
Start date: ASAP
Duration: 12 months (renewable)
Report to: Rome Office (Programme Desk/Programme Manager)
Supervision of: Staff of the mission, especially:
– Deputy and liaison officers
– Country administrator
– Humanitarian coordinator
VIS has been operating in Ethiopia for more than 20 years. In 2005 it was recognized by the Ethiopian Ministry of Justice as a suitable organization to operate in the field of education and water and sanitation. On 8th October 2009 it also obtained the registration certificate from the Charities and Societies Agency in accordance with the Charities and Societies Proclamation No 621/2009. This certificate was renewed in 2019, and it is still valid. It allows VIS to officially operate in the following areas: Water and Sanitation; Education and Technical and Vocational Training.
The main project sectors of the NGO in the country are:
- Technical and Vocational Training (TVET): Development of skills-based vocational training and support for innovative supply chains relevant to market needs. In TVET we also work on inclusive education.
- Economic Development: Strengthening cooperation with technical schools and local companies; increasing job opportunities for the young people trained through broader and stronger partnerships with international agencies in the identification of priority areas.
- Migration: Prevention of irregular migration giving continuity to other actions implemented in the last few years. In this field, VIS focuses on activities that fall within its mission: vocational training and economic development, adapting its tools to specific target groups, such as potential migrants and returning migrants.
- Water and Sanitation (WASH): VIS continues its commitment in this field, both through projects and participation to clusters at national and local level. Expansion of actions in the Tigray region, in collaboration with the local historical partner ADCS. With them we want to build a joint strategic planning to capitalise the acquired experience and know how. Implementation of an integrated programme in the Somali region, in partnership with partner DGMDA.
The main geographical areas we are working in are Addis Ababa, Tigray (especially Mekelle), Vukro, Adigrat, Adwa, Shire, the region of Gambella, Nguenyyiel Pugnido, Jewi and Nguenyyiel, SNNPP and Somali Region.
In the emergency filed we work in Tigray and Gambella.
In Tigray VIS has been engaging in education, livelihood, WASH, and emergency in many areas (in particular, Mekelle, Vukro, Adigrat, Adwa, Shire) and in the refugee camps of Adi-Harush, Hitmai-Ayni and Sats. We are working in vocational training, income-generating activities, and rehabilitation of water infrastructure.
Since the beginning of its activity in Ethiopia VIS has also been working the Gambella region, with projects in vocational education and training, maintenance and sanitation of water co-financed by institutional and private actors. These projects are addressed to South Sudanese population living in refugee camps and to the host communities. In 2017/18, VIS carried out a project “Emergency Action for Refugee Minors living in Camp Nguenyyiel and for the host communities of Pugnido and Gambella” and two other projects were recently completed in the camps of Jewi and Nguenyyiel.
Coordinate and ensure the efficient functioning of VIS activities in Ethiopia through the management of local and expatriate staff, workplace, housing, and transports and through the management of safety procedures.
Improve effectiveness, efficiency, impact, and sustainability of VIS actions in favour of target groups and areas of interest according to VIS Multiannual Strategic Programming and Country Strategic Programming. Ensure the maintenance and building of good institutional relations of VIS-Ethiopia and ensure the implementation of the agreements between VIS and local partners.
Responsibilities and activities to be carried out:
The Country Representative (CR) is responsible for the correct execution of the actions carried out in the country and, therefore, for the operational and financial monitoring of the activities, the relations with the different Donors and stakeholders present in the country, the planning of new actions and fund raising especially at local level.
It represents the main direct contact person for the headquarters and for the staff in the country. It is also responsible for expatriate staff, both international (aid workers and volunteers) and local.
Activities to be carried out include:
a. Management of institutional relations with
– Local authorities
– Italian and European institutions in the field
– Salesians and other local partners
– International Organisations
– Other NGOs/CSOs for partnerships and clusters
– International donors
b. Staff management (expatriate and local staff)
– Collaboration with Human Resources department in the identification and induction of new staff
– Coordination of the working team
– Create and maintain an environment preventing sexual exploitation and/or abuse by promoting the implementation of VIS Code of Conduct and supporting and developing systems that strengthen the prevention of abuse and exploitation
c. Headquarters’ management, logistics and trasportation
– Wise management, according to effectiveness, efficiency, and transparency criteria of the mission
– Management of relations with local partners in relation to infrastructure used by the NGO
d. Management of the Legal Representation
– Recognition of the NGO by local authorities and related practices for its maintenance
– Decisions on the choice of procedures for visas and work permits
– Management of audits and on-the-spot checks
e. Communication management and visibility
– Monitoring the visibility actions as requested by donors
– Accompanying of official delegations, donors or visiting journalists and logistical organization related to visits from Italy, in agreement with the headquarters
– Writing articles for VIS magazine, website, newsletter, photo production or other material required by the office
f. On-site Safety Responsibility (in accordance with Safety Guidelines)
– Ensure compliance with the Safety Guidelines and the PSP (Country Safety Plan/Protocol) by VIS on-site staff
– Keep risk analysis information and the Country Security Plan/Protocol (PSP) up to date
– Ensure that all necessary risk protection and prevention measures are in place
– Ensure on-site training of staff (expatriate and local)
– Ensure internal and external communication and monitor the state of the risk and safety of staff, facilities and assets related to VIS
g. Coordination of VIS actions in Ethiopia:
– Management of programmes and projects
– Contribution to VIS Strategic Planning and the guidelines for that geographical area/country and sector
– Development of operational and financial programming in the country and its implementation in accordance with the donor’s and internal procedures
– Monitoring and evaluation [operational and financial]
– Mapping donors and relevant stakeholders, monitoring calls, identifying funding and selecting donors
– Contribution to the identification and formulation of new projects
– Contribution to internal and external communication actions and organization of press tours; collaboration with VIS communication department.
Knowledge and skills:
• Master’s degree, possibly in development cooperation or related disciplines
• Experience in the same role [in the same geographical area would be an asset]
• Knowledge of the main project management tools (PCM, Log Frame, etc.)
• Experience in the field, as programme leader or project coordinator, of at least five years in a foreign country in the field of international cooperation
• Experience in team management
• Full working knowledge of English
• Full working knowledge of Italian
Abilities and psychological attitude:
• High relational skills at various levels
How to apply
Please send your application to [email protected] specifying the role: RPL Ethiopia 1449
Please attach your CV, motivation letter and References (at least 2 contacts).
Only profiles that meet the requirements will be contacted.