International Organization for Migration
Position Title: Cultural Mediator (Interpreter/Translator) (13 Positions)
Duty Station: Ferizaj, Kosovo (Ref: UNSC Res.1244 (1999))
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P1
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 11 October 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), the United Nations (UN) Migration Agency, is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all and it does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. As part of its activities in Kosovo, IOM assists in providing humanitarian assistance and protection-sensitive responses to migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and the direct supervision of the Cultural Mediator Team Leader, the Cultural Mediator (Interpreter/Translator) will ensure interpretation and translation services are provided and available in the Camp.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide informal interpretation/translation services from English to Pashto and/or Dari and vice versa for migrants and IOM staff as well as service providers to help facilitate communication among migrants, service providers and relevant IOM project Staff, located at the camp and outside.
- Upon instruction, provide protection services assistance to migrants in a culturally sensitive way.
- Analyze and suggest the needs of migrants and refer them to the responsible unit.
- Participate in capacity and staff development activities on regular basis.
- Assist project staff with daily monitoring of work.
- Organize, attend and take notes during meetings of stakeholders in the area of responsibility.
- Draft segments of updates and weekly reports.
- Comply with the IOM Standards of Conduct and the IOM Confidentiality Agreement. Always maintain a professional appearance and migrant-friendly demeanor. Maintain positive working relationships within the IOM colleagues and government officials. Maintain confidentiality and discretion in treating applicants’ personal information.
- Immediately inform the supervisors of any problems or issues related to the daily work and make suggestions on how to improve efficiency and client services.
- Assist with relevant training for the interpreters.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in interpretation services and cultural mediation;
- Desirable experience in providing assistance to vulnerable persons and in the provision of protection services;
- Experience in working with migrants, persons with different cultural background, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups;
- Experience in the field of humanitarian assistance and development is an asset;
- Experience in liaising with authorities, diplomatic missions and international organizations is highly desirable;
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural environment;
- Proven analytical, interpersonal and organization skills;
- Excellent communication skills including intercultural communication;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, manage own time effectively, multi-task and meet deadlines;
- Ability to quickly adapt to job and organizational changes; and,
- Proven IT skills proficiency in MS Office Knowledge of International Organizations, UN and NGO mandates and programmes in the area of humanitarian assistance, migration and development.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English, Dari and Pashto is required. Fluency in Dari, Pashto, Albanian and/or Serbian is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE, via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 October 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 271 Cultural Mediator (Interpreter/Translator) (13 Positions) (P1) Ferizaj, Kosovo
(Ref: UNSC Res.1244 (1999)) (57779544) Released
Posting: Posting NC57779545 (57779545) Released
*Closing date: 11-Oct-22