Data Coding Assistant: Nationwide Health Sector Capacity Assessment
In Liberia, SI supports IBI in implementing the USAID-funded Liberia Data, Evaluation, Learning and Technical Assistance (DELTA) with the goal to provide an innovative degree of analytical and advisory services to USAID/Liberia’s Office of Program and Project Development (PPD) and Development Objective (DO) teams in support of the Mission’s project design, performance monitoring and evaluation, and operational learning and adapting.
USAID/Liberia has engaged DELTA to support the conduct of a nationwide health service capacity assessment in the 15 counties, including the central level units and the private health services. This assessment is intended to measure Liberia’s health system management, readiness, response capacities and level of coordination and collaboration with the private sector.
Unlike the 2019 assessment, which was confined in coverage to the assessment of County Health Team capacities, this follow-on assessment shall be broadened in coverage and scope to include the simultaneous assessment of the CHTs, Central levels, and private health care services with the aim of which is to comprehensively inform health system issues and resulting capacity improvement interventions.
The focus of this assessment is to:
- Provide the Ministry of Health and all stakeholders objective information on whether the health system has the basic competencies and management capacity (systems) necessary for proper and transparent management of public sector funds and health services and understanding of capacities in the private health services.
- Determine the extent to which these systems functions are fully operational as it is directly tied to the capacity of the Ministry of Health (MoH) to deliver effective health services, increase the quality of care, and harmonize data through transparent public health management practices.
- To document challenges and lessons learned on the implementation of the Capacity Building Action Plans implemented by counties.
- Support the Government of Liberia (GoL) de-concentration/decentralization efforts in the health sector which includes monitoring CHT performance in a standardized manner across Liberia’s 15 counties, identifying capacity-building needs of individual CHTs and Central MoH , and providing publicly accessible and transparent health system data on the use of GoL /donor funding for the Liberia health system .
The MOH is planning to deploy seven sets of eight-member team to the counties. Each team will assess two counties utilizing approximately 18 days assuming one day per team for assessment at the CHT level and a day each per DHT and health facility level. The Assessment will cover all 93 districts in Liberia.
DELTA will provide support to the MOH to complete the 2022 assessment. DELTA’s involvement will be directly placed under the management of USAID and MOH. DELTA will support the MOH for each phase of the assessment: during the (1) preparation for the assessment, (2) fieldwork (data collection) and (3) data analysis and completion of the reports , and (4) dissemination of the findings. DELTA will coordinate with MOH to provide support to the data collection, training processes , including vehicles, vehicle fueling, booking of training venues, catering services, stationery, and facilitation of training etc.
In addition to the assessors, the assessment team will include a Team Leader, Information System Specialist, Data Coding Assistants, and other specialist in health service management domains.
The estimated start date for the assessment will be October 3, 2022, through November 15, 2022. The estimated LOE for the Data coding Assistant will be 20 days.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early submission of application is recommended.
The Data Coding Assistant shall support the Information System Specialist through assigned task:
- Coding questions per health domains
- Defining and establishing skip logic in the questioning
- Define data dermacation and
- Assist in the design of a web-based cloud data platform for data inputting, storage, analysis, retrieval, and dashboard for information sharing that uses platform such as ODK, Survey CTO, survey monkey etc and train data encoders on coding survey forms including automation to computer assisted personal interview (CAPI) data collection tools such as smart phones, and tablets.
Responsibilities and Role:
- Perform task assigned by the Information System Specialist
- Support the automation of assessment questionnaire to the web-based cloud design
- Support the automation of assessment questionnaire to computer assisted personal interview tools (CAPI) with online and offline capacities to host, store, transmit, and interface with KOBO Collect, survey CTO, Survey monkey and DHIS2.
- Support the testing of CAPI tools and applications for websites
- Support the maintenance, monitoring and updating of the cloud-based website
- Test, cloud-platform, and CAPI tools and ensure the functionality of the software services.
- Maintain and support the cloud-based platform and CAPI tools during data collection and reporting
- Support the trouble shooting of website and CAPI tools.
The Data Coding Assistant will complete assigned task using approved outputs as specified at the inception of roles and responsibilities. The following outputs are expected in line with health system capacity assessment statement of work:
- Set of coded and completed assessment questions per health domain as per assignment
- Set of CAPI tools automated with the coded questionnaires as per assignment.
- Comprehensive narrative report on assigned task.
- At least a bachelor’s degree data information technology, social sciences, research studies or 2 years of work experience in data coding or any relevant disciplines,
- At least 2 years of active work experience in information technology and working with electronic data collection tools.
- At least 2 years of active experience in the design, coding of survey questionnaires and encoding of data software platform such as ODK, Survey CTO, etc.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in designing, implementing, managing and/or web-based data inputting, collection, retrieval, analysis and dashboard information sharing.
- Experience working within assessment teams using mixed methods of data collection.
- Prior experience participating in a health sector assessment.
- The post holder should have ability to work on tight deadlines
- Write and speak English, well including technical reports
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world. Please apply to: Local address to be inserted once reviewed and approved.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected status. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls