World Relief is a global Christian humanitarian organization that is fighting for change that lasts, right here in the U.S. and across the globe. We bring sustainable solutions to the world’s greatest problems – disasters, extreme poverty, violence, oppression, and mass displacement. The organization is approximately 75 years old and has worked in over 100 countries around the world since its founding.
In the United States, we come alongside local churches, community organizations, and hundreds of individual volunteers to support newly arriving refugees and other immigrant families. Today, we are proud to partner with over 6,000 local churches, and 95,000 volunteers globally to bring hope, healing, and transformation to the most vulnerable.
Are you a person of compassion? An advocate for justice? Someone who stands up for the rights of the vulnerable and speaks out for the marginalized, the exploited, and the forgotten? Do you believe in our calling as Christians to welcome the least of these and love our neighbor?
If you answered ‘yes’, to any of the above, World Relief, and millions of people around the world need you. World Relief seeks a Director of Programs position, who is to fulfill the Mission Statement of World Relief in WR Chad, and manage all aspects of the implementation and development of the Country Office programs. The Director of Programs is expected to provide strategic leadership to the Program Department in the areas of program quality, development, and implementation. This includes playing a key role in country strategy development and dissemination. A major emphasis for this position is resource mobilization, external representation, program coordination, and technical leadership to ensure that the Country Office has a robust and diverse donor funding base and that programs are implemented fulfilling standards of quality and accountability along with delivering the desired impact in making a significant contribution to reducing poverty and saving lives.
Role & Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Jointly with the country director, rigorously conduct assessments in the country and determine the appropriate locations for offices and establish at least one or two field offices. The field office establishment will be based on alignment with WR’s mission and vision, humanitarian context, donor priorities, and implementing partners’ gap analysis.
- Leads in various needs assessment and propose WR Chad’s sectoral engagement in the country. The country office sectoral engagement proposal needs to take into account, donor priorities, WR home office technical capacity, and major gap areas.
- Actively participate and contribute to the development of WR Chad Country Office strategy and rollout
- of the strategy.
- Oversee the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of country office programs and projects, and ensure that they are in line with the Country Office program strategy and donor requirements.
- Ensure that proper monitoring and evaluation systems are in place to demonstrate impact and that Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) techniques are used to promote improved programming and learning.
- Contribute and support the development of proposals and reports for the respective projects.
- Support field offices in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource, and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements, and country program strategy.
- Supervise and encourage sector leads, and MEAL focal persons in their leadership and management of program staff directly under them.
- Assist sector leads in monitoring program activities against program budgets, and act as a liaison between Program Managers and the other Departments.
- Travel to the field as needed to supervise and review project/program progress and/or results, as well as security issues affecting programmatic implementation and staff safety
- Actively involve in partners mapping and establishing strong relationships that can bring in additional resource mobilization capacity to the country office.
- Jointly with the country director hire new program and operation staff
- Provide proper supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective, and coordinated Program team.
- Ensure the proper implementation of performance management system for direct reports, including job description and performance development, regular feedback, mid-term reviews, and annual performance appraisals.
- Proactively address performance issues through regular, constructive, and honest feedback and coaching.
- Travel to the field as needed for staff management
- Develop a capacity-building strategy for the staff and accordingly execute
Operations Management and Program Strategy
- Liaise with international donors and actively represent WR Chad at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, and field managers.
- Actively involved in the preparation of Chad office organogram based on country context, availability of resources, and potential of the country.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures, and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant field managers and programs, to enhance the smooth running of the program through standardized procedures and improved support.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the program, including resource needs analyses, following work plans, and log frames outlined in the project proposals.
- Work with World Relief’s Home Office and/or regional technical support to ensure that planned programs are implemented in an efficient and timely manner according to the project/program proposal and the donors’ policies/agreements.
- Work closely with units in Program Support (finance, procurement, HR, etc.) to ensure proper coordination exists for efficient program implementation.
- Ensure that qualified staff and appropriate policies, procedures, and systems are in place to properly manage WR Chad programs/projects.
- Coordinate and assist in preparing and distributing all requisite reports for all programs. Ensure timely reporting of program activities to donors and Home Office Strategic Engagement staff.
- Edit, as needed, written materials originating from WR Chad to ensure the quality of outgoing documents.
- Develop and implement an information management system to include the dissemination of information from World Relief Home Office and affiliates, donors, Government of Chad offices, etc., and all the appropriate individuals.
- Regularly review and ensure that the most efficient Country Office program management structure is established and functional in order to ensure program quality and the cost-efficient achievement of project objectives.
- Assist and oversee the recruitment and orientation of new senior program staff.
- Seek strategic partnerships necessary to promote WR Chad’s strategic vision and programming principles, and ensure that those partners understand the Country Office’s program strategies.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the Christian spiritual values of WR Chad with team members, beneficiaries, and external
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of the WR Chad team, including team devotions, prayer times, words of encouragement, and integrity in all programmatic aspects of response and interaction with external contacts.
- Work to strengthen the local church’s capacity for supporting programmatic initiatives.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned by the WR Chad Country Director as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of program areas and ability to communicate practices to various constituencies in the U.S. and Africa
- At ease with Microsoft Office programs (in particular with Word & Excel), Internet, and e-mail writing
- Excellent verbal and written English and French communication required
- Ability to work independently and to deal with problems and issues both promptly and efficiently
- Ability to diplomatically liaise in a team setting, to listen and take into account team suggestions, and
- to create a sense of team connectivity
- Experience in training and mentoring staff
- Capacity to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Good negotiation skills, especially in the context of another culture
- Ability to manage budgets, understand financial accountability procedures and logistics
- Strong time management, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills
- Mature and personal Christian faith
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief
- Desire to serve and empower the Church to impact vulnerable communities
- Able to affirm and/or acknowledge World Reliefs Core Beliefs, Statement of Faith, Christian Identity, and National Evangelicals For the Health of The Nation document
- Bachelor’s degree in development studies, social sciences, or related subjects, Master’s degree preferred
- At least 7 years of demonstrated experience in Relief and Development work in the developing world, preferably in Africa
- At least 4 years of experience in senior management and leadership positions in Humanitarian programs
- Experience working with donors such as USAID, EU, FCDO, ECHO, UN Agencies, etc.
- Experience serving in a hardship post in a complex emergency setting
- Strong Christian commitment and ability to provide Christian leadership
- Experience in office establishment
World Relief offers a competitive benefits package to international employees:
World Relief contributes to monthly premiums:
– Paid Sick and Vacation Time
-Paid Maternity & Paternity Leave (subject to country requirements)
-Paid Home and Hardship Leaves
-Food per diems
-Generous R&R schedule
World Relief pays 100% for eligible employees:
-Group Term Life (employee)
-Long-Term (US Expats only)
-Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
-Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
– Emergency evacuation insurance
World Relief – Retirement:
-401K & Roth (US Expats Only) – WR matches up to 4%, then an additional quarter percent up to 10%
-4% retirement plan match for all other employees, unless dictated by the country law.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
· The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds.
· Requires good hand-eye coordination, and arm, hand, and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information.
· The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
· General office setting. World Relief also offers hybrid and remote schedules for limited positions.
· Great lengths of time working on a computer, reading from a computer screen, entering information, standing at a copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in virtual meetings may be required.
· Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
· Physical, emotional,and intellectual demands
· Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
· All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills, and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.
For World Relief staff, a strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief is essential, and Christian faith is a prerequisite for employment.
How to apply
To submit an application, please click on the link below:
Deadline: 12 May 2023