COOPI - Cooperazione Internazionale
COOPI is looking for a Area WASH Coordinator in Ethiopia
Since 1995, COOPI is present in the country where it has implemented different projects in almost all the regions. At the moment we are present in Tigray, Afar, Ahama Oromia and Somali Regions, trying to dealinig with different humanitarian crisis in the country. The main sectors of intervention are wash, FSL, energy, migration and humanitarian assistance. COOPI is working in the country thanks to the support of different donors, such as: ECHO, OCHA, AICS (Italian Cooperation), and UN agencies in general.
Description of the role
The Area Coordinatori/wash expert is responsible for overall management and strategic direction of COOPI wash projects in the country. The Area Coordinator will represent COOPI with the local and regional government bodies, especially government agencies, partners, beneficiaries and other (I)NGO’s as part of regular and quality communications to maintain good relations. The post holder will need to clearly understand and ensure fair, accountable and transparent management of programme, finance and human resources and promote a learning environment for staff and the organisation. The Area Coordinator will also be responsible for compliance to Standard Operating Procedures for safety, security and general operations. Moreover, the Area Coordinator will be responsible of the direct implementation of the projects assigned.
- Overall responsibility for the design, implementation and effective monitoring of agreed wash projects and activities;
- Ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of all activities and processes. Ensuring the analysis of data collected to improve wash programme quality;
- Ensure the development and implementation of all activities in line with Common Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and COOPI programme policies;
- Proactively seeking funding opportunities to scale up and/or expand activities working closely with the Country Director and Head of Programs. This includes identifying and undertaking assessments and writing concepts and proposals in wash sector;
- Oversee wash programming with field visits and ensure quality of programme delivery;
- To be engaged strategically with wash sector as need and provide management and strategic input;
- Oversee and provide strategic support to program teams.
Coordination of field operations
- Participate directly in work of those supervised to provide hands-on training and support;
- Provide support to Project Managers to solve programs’ implementation problems related to logistics, procurement and security;
- Ensure the compliancy with COOPI procedures (logistic, finance, security);
- Ensure that the procurement, logistic and administration departments are efficiently managed;
- Prepare internal and donors reports.
- Act as human resources focal point person for program and support staff, including expatriates based in North Darfur, assuring, in coordination with the Administrator, a sound implementation of COOPI staff policy;
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate staff in performance of their duties;
- Assess staff skills needs and organize relevant staff training and upgrading session.
- Manage the security implementation plan in program areas in all its aspects;
- Assure that equipment related to security is properly functioning;
- Coordinate regular collection of information from areas of intervention. Prepare Security reports and timely inform the Country Director on security matters;
- Participate to ad hoc security coordination meetings;
- Consult with aid agencies and other relevant stakeholders on the ongoing security situation as well as their security procedures.
Liaison and networking
- In coordination with the Country Director, represent the organization in coordination fora, with donors and with international and local agencies, especially in wash sector;
- Regularly participate to coordination meetings in the country concerning implementation, operational and security matters of the projects under his/her responabilities. Assure that feedback of information is channeled internally.
- University degree in social or technical sciences (preferable in the field of wash management);
- A minimum of five years of relevant working experience is required;
- At least three years of demonstrated successful experience in international relief and development in a similar position is required;
- Previous experience in wash sector is required;
- Proven capacity to work in a team is essential;
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful environments and under pressure;
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, negotiation skills, multi-tasking and organizational skills;
- Experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities, IOs and NGOs;
- Fluency in English and Italian language;
- Computer literate.
- Experience in logistics, procurement and security matters is a strong advantage;
- Previous work experience in Ethiopia is a plus;
- Experience in working in conflict-prone environments a plus.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. For more than 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
How to apply
Please send you CV and motivation letter via the following link – https://coopi.org/it/posizione-lavorativa.html?id=4735&ln=
Closing date: 16 Jan 2023