Girls Not Brides
INTRODUCTION TO GIRLS NOT BRIDES
Girls Not Brides is the only global organisation uniquely focused on creating and sustaining a worldwide movement to end child marriage and ensuring that this movement leads to tangible change for the girls at risk or affected by the practice. We are a network of over 1,600 civil society organisations in over 100 countries working in partnership to end child marriage.
Our vision is a world without child marriage where girls and women enjoy equal status with boys and men and are able to achieve their full potential in all aspects of their lives. Our vision challenges deeply embedded social norms that harm the lives of girls, women and their communities.
INTRODUCTION TO THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for an Executive Associate. Reporting to the CEO, the Executive Associate plays a crucial role within the Girls Not Brides secretariat.
The successful individual will have wide ranging responsibilities including ongoing and timely executive assistance to the CEO, serving as a critical link for the external and internal engagement role of the CEO. The Executive Associate moreover plays a central role in ensuring effective governance structures and processes, liaising closely with the Board of Trustees on behalf of the CEO and coordinating arrangements for meetings of the Board of Trustees and related activities. In addition, the Executive Associate supports the donor engagement work of the CEO and the Development and Outreach team as required.
We are looking for an experienced executive assistant with excellent organisation and time management skills, an acute eye for detail, diplomatic flair and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
London, UK (Hybrid with three days on site)
The Chief Executive Officer
£28,000 rising on an annual incremental basis. Girls Not Brides also offers a generous 10% pension.
This is a permanent full-time role. The successful candidate must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
Executive Assistance to the CEO (60%)
- Provide comprehensive executive support for the CEO on tasks including diary management, travel planning and administrative assistance e.g. minute/note taking.
- Define and lead systems and processes to streamline executive operations.
- Regularly update contacts and meeting notes in the Girls Not Brides shared database.
- Strategically manage the CEO’s time, assisting the CEO in regularly reviewing and evaluating their priorities, areas of focus and evaluation of opportunities.
- Monitor and prioritise information flow to the CEO to ensure their time-appropriate involvement in projects and decision-making processes.
- Coordinate internal meetings for the CEO (including SLT, and AMT meetings), ensuring effective preparation, note-taking and follow-up.
- Act as the main point of contact with sensitive and/or high-level stakeholders of the CEO, including our fundraising advisory committee, champions and Board of Trustees, anticipating their needs and advising the CEO of follow up.
- Assist in drafting, editing and proof reading of briefing papers on behalf of the CEO.
- Coordinate regular communications from the CEO to the secretariat team, donors and Board of Trustees.
- Liaise with the Learning and Partnership Development team to develop a member engagement calendar for the CEO.
- Accompany the CEO on occasional trips to provide support during high-level international meetings and events.
Facilitate effective governance processes (20%)
- Support the CEO in communications with the Trustees.
- Work with the CEO and the SLT to identify areas for Trustee involvement or decision-making.
- Liaise directly with Trustees and their respective offices.
- Manage and coordinate arrangements for meetings of the Board of Trustees, including drafting agendas, coordinating the packet of Board papers, and travel planning as necessary.
- Draft and disseminate clear and succinct minutes of Board meetings, Committees and ensure follow up on agreed action points.
- Assist in drafting and compiling sections of Girls Not Brides’ Trustee Annual Report for the annual statutory accounts.
- Contribute to the coordination of Girls Not Brides international travel for the Trustees.
Support donor engagement work (20%)
- Support the Development and Outreach team with administrative tasks, as required and feasible.
- Work with the Head of Development and Outreach, the Senior Leadership Team and other relevant staff to proactively identity opportunities for CEO external engagement, mapping and cultivating new partnerships for which Girls Not Brides and the CEO need to be present to advance our cause, raise funding and increase our profile, and develop an annual calendar of events and meetings for the CEO.
- Develop the CEO’s background reading, talking points and presentations for such events and engagements above.
Wider Organisational Responsibilities
- Commit to the mission and vision of Girls Not Brides, putting these at the forefront of all planning, work and actions.
- Uphold the core values of Girls Not Brides in all areas of work and interactions with colleagues, members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Line manage roles and consultants as necessary, delegating responsibilities and tasks as appropriate.
- Comply with Girls Not Brides policies and processes, with particular note for safeguarding, diversity and inclusion, the code of conduct and data protection.
- Prepare and deliver reports for the Senior Leadership Team and Board of Trustees, as necessary.
- Ensure that internal databases and monitoring information are kept fully up-to-date.
- Commit to ongoing personal development and learning.
- Fulfil any other reasonable requests for the advancement of Girls Not Brides.
- Relevant higher academic qualification/s or equivalent professional experience
- Extensive experience in a comparable EA/PA role in a high-paced environment, managing agendas, meeting schedules, international travel and communications at the executive level.
- Experience working with a charity Board of Trustees to ensure effective governance processes.
Essential skills and knowledge
- Impeccable time and information management skills, and an acute eye for detail.
- Excellent research and drafting skills, as well as excellent written communication skills, with the ability to write effectively and synthesise complex information.
- Proficient in all areas of Microsoft. Must possess strong Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, MS Teams, SharePoint and typing skills; ability to learn new packages, when required.
- Ability to work unsupervised, a motivated self-starter, with strong problem solving and multitasking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills, including the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and discretion when working with high level individuals.
Essential values and attributes
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Girls Not Brides including understanding of approaches to empower girls and women and support gender equality.
- Skilled team worker with an inclusive and collaborative approach, in line with Girls Not Brides’ values.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Experience working with organisations in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Experience using Salesforce or similar contacts management databases.
- Additional international language skills, especially French or Spanish.
Girls Not Brides is committed to safeguarding all children, young people and adults at risk with whom our staff and representatives work and interface. Any employment with Girls Not Brides may be subject to the satisfactory completion of a background check and a criminal records check which can include but is not limited to: an overseas police record check, a Disclosure and Barring Service Check (for those based in the UK) or an International Criminal Record Check (if applicable).
How to apply
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
The closing date for this role is 09:00 BST on Monday 6 June 2022.
To apply, please visit the job page: https://girlsnotbrides.livevacancies.co.uk/#/job/details/39?target=frame click on the ‘Apply now’ button and submit your CV and a brief cover letter clearly demonstrating how you meet the criteria.
We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.