Danish Refugee Council
Overall purpose of the role
The Executive Support Officer will provide high-level administrative support to the Executive Director and other RSMT staff.
Administrative assistance to the Executive Director
- Manage the calendar of the Executive Director, make appointments/schedule meetings with key partners (Donors, Local Partners, Board Directors, etc). Compiling documents for meetings and collecting and/or preparing and distributing background materials for meetings and events.
- Attend to and monitor urgent enquiries and issues, ensuring that they are brought to the Executive Director’s attention and, where relevant, referring matters on to appropriate staff for response.
- Maintain an effective and confidential filing system for the Executive Director including preparing replies to routine and basic correspondence on behalf of the Executive Director.
- Develop & maintain the Executive Director’s contact database for relevant donors, partners and other stakeholders.
- Screens documents that need the approval of the Executive Director, and certifies they are completed with compliance before presenting them for approval in ensuring that the process went through the right channels and financial verification are in place.
- Be an informed key contact for the Executive Director Office and handle internal and external enquiries in a professional manner liaising with key contacts across DRC (HQ, RO, CO) and other networks
Coordination of RO meetings/events/visits
- Take a lead role in organizing regional meetings and events involving the Executive Director, in liaison with other departments. Take full responsibility for scheduling timings and venues, communicating arrangements to participants and coordinating with Administration and Supply Chain team to organise transport, booking facilities and hiring service providers as required. Develop the agenda and materials as needed and ensure action plans are tracked, followed up and reported back to the following meetings
- In consultation with the Executive Director, develop and maintain a regional annual events calendar and disseminate it to RO staff and Country teams.
- Coordinate high level field visits and accompany visitors as necessary to field visits. Prepare visitors itineraries and send required pre-arrival information, arrange logistics and assist visitors in their visit schedule as required.
- Maintaining and ensuring that key EAGL Regional office information (organogram, sitreps, maps, etc.) is accurate, in a format to share with external partners, board members and also accessible on SharePoint for DRC EAGL staff.
Support to DRC Kenya Board
- Act as a liaison and provide support to the Board of Directors. Arrange and handle all logistics for Board meetings and events: schedule meetings; draft agendas; develop, compile, and distribute presentation materials; and record meeting minutes on behalf of Board Secretary.
- Ensure adherence to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set by the Kenya NGO Coordination Board.
- Assist in the implementation and follow-up on Board decisions and requests as directed by the Chairperson.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in a relevant field; International development/relations, Political science, Communications, Social science or Business Administration
- Minimum four (4) years office, administrative and programme management experience, working closely with senior management in coordination of critical events
- At least 3 years’ work experience in an international NGO in management of key projects
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential
- Demonstrated ability to manage processes and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work independently and to maintain flexibility in working hours.
- Energetic and flexible with high sense of responsibility and excellent organisational, planning and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
- High level of integrity and able to maintain strictest of confidentiality
- High competence in handling situations with tact and diplomacy
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
Contract: One year contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for Kenyan Staff ; Employment band NM H1
Duty station: This position is based in Nairobi Regional Office
Reporting Line: Executive Director
Providing equal opportunities: We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards: DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process
How to apply
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online- application form on https://drc.ngo/about-us/careers/vacancies/job/?p=165920 under Vacancies.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 12 October 2022; Application will be reviewed on a rolling basis.