The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The purpose of this position is to assist in the development of proposal, generation of reports and implementation of accounting procedures to IRC’s standards and in line with Donor requirements, audit recommendations, SUN data base administration and maintenance, and quality control with respect to accounting records and financial reports. This position reports to the Assistant Finance controller.
- Perform or supervise the posting of entries ensuring proper controls are enforced and appropriate systems in place to maintain all required supporting documentation.
- Developing expertise to control the system, develop new reports and be able to train staff in processing of data.
- Ensure that all month end journals are sequentially filed monthly.
- Maintenance of all INTEGRA/SUN accounting segments.
- Setting up and maintenance of Cash/Bank codes.
- Setting up and maintain revenue allocations for all grants and contracts as per revenue allocation.
- Reviewing and updating the set-up and operation of accounting software in field offices.
General Accounting services
- Review, approval and posting of General Ledger transactions, adjusting journal entries and sub-office transactions.
- Supervise the monthly financial close process and ensure timely, complete, and accurate submission to IRC NY after review and approval by the Finance Controller.
- Oversee the sub-ledger reconciliation process and confirm that the GL sub-ledger accounts match the details in their related modules.
- Ensure that all sub-office financial matters are addressed on a timely basis. During field visits follow-up on financial, internal controls and other program support action items identified.
- Coordinating the activities of Finance and Administration Managers in the field to ensure quality financial records coming from the field. This includes capacity building of field staff based on needs identified by Field Managers in the field and development of financial system specific to a particular sub-office.
- Set up the shared cost pool allocations and run all cost pool and revenue recognition monthly. All shared cost pool tables must be approved by the respective Field Coordinator before the routine is run.
- Review of the National staff salary and ensure payment of salaries is made on a timely basis
- Together with the Programme and Field coordinators prepare quarterly salary mapping tables by the due dates and ensure the same are approved and used to charge staff salaries and recorded accordingly in the accounting system.
- Ensure finance filing and document retrieval system is functional, efficient, and secure.
- Ensure all Tax and Pension liabilities is paid to the respective bodies monthly before the due date.
- Ensure balances on all payroll accounts are ZERO and investigate if differences are noted.
- Ensure monthly Balance sheet file sub- ledger accounts is prepared and presented to the Finance controller for approval by the 18th of every month.
- Ensure the finance dashboard on the online BVA is reviewed and cleaned up daily and that there are no outstanding payments
- Ensure that BVAs are reviewed monthly
- Closely monitor grants to ensure that no grants are overspent or under spent through checking of over/under expenditure on the BVA
- Preparation of donor reports by the due dates.
- Analysis of actual to budget results to identify problems in accounting or compliance.
- Identification of procedural or training issues to be addressed to improve the quality of report data.
- Review of the BVA results to ensure maximum utilization of budgeted amounts and to provide recommendations for realignments as required.
- Preparation of SPC allocation processes for overarching costs that comply with donor regulations on allowable costs.
- Ensure Timesheet reconciliation with INTEGRA/SUN is done on a monthly basis.
- Working with operations and program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments to ensure adequate coverage of country operating costs and NY direct and indirect costs.
- Ensure that all accruals at grant closure are accurate, valid and are promptly liquidated.
- Attend BVA, Grant Opening and Closing Meetings
- Update the unrestricted funds monthly.
- Ensure the timely preparation, review of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliations.
- Ensure timely transfer of cash requests to the field locations
- Manage and supervise audits as they fall due ensuring documents are adequately reviewed
- Train and capacity build staff as required
Attend and participate in trainings identified/organized by your supervisor
Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Code of Conduct (in-country and World-wide) as per the IRC reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members
Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from recognized College/Institution. ACCA/CPA qualification will be preferred.
- Minimum of three years of accounting experience.
- Computer literate with significant experience in excel, accounting package. Knowledge in (SUN system) will be an added advantage.
- The candidate should be mature, with stable personality and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; tact, patience, diplomacy, and appropriate assertiveness.
Working Environment*:* The staff will be positioned in Ukraine
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to apply