HIAS seeks a Finance Manager, Central Europe to oversee and manage accounting and finance for Central Europe in the Africa & Eurasia region. They will maintain accounting records and internal controls in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
This position can be based in Poland or remote in Moldova, Romania, Spain, or Greece.
Note, this position can also be based at our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland or our offices in New York, New York, and we will consider a remote option for applicants who live outside of commuting distance to either of our offices and are based in other states in which we are registered (Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin).
- Acts as the regional liaison and key point of contact on all finance-related matters with headquarters, the Budget & Fiscal Compliance team, the Programs team and auditors.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of current financial management systems, policies, processes and practices, and assists with resolving and implementing preventive and corrective actions.
- Provides guidance and support to countries on risk management and internal controls, in collaboration with the Office of the General Counsel and the Internal Audit & Control team.
- Builds capacity of country office finance staff and teams.
- Coordinates country project audits and supports country offices in responding to audit requirements and inquiries.
- Coordinates the country office budget process with the Budget & Fiscal Compliance team.
- Supports and assists the country offices with regulatory reporting.
- Reviews general ledger transactions received from field offices and works with field office accounting staff on the corrections of any entries or procedures.
- Supports month-end-closing process for the assigned countries portfolio, and helps ensure the monthly closing schedule is maintained.
- Reviews Country Office Monthly Finance Report to ensure compliance.
- Assists on special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance required; graduate degree preferred.
- CPA/Chartered Accountant certification preferred.
- 4-6 years of relevant experience.
- English fluency required; Ukrainian fluency preferred.
- Experience with accounting systems required.
- Knowledge and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to problem-solve.
- Strong communications skills, both orally and in writing.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time.
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple responsibilities.
- Ability to deliver high-quality results in a timely manner.
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a HIAS recruiter.
Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Video interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Online reference check with SkillSurvey.
Step 6: Offer and background check with Shield Screening.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation, or other legally protected status.
HIAS is committed to the protection of children, vulnerable adults and any other person from any harm caused directly or indirectly due to their coming into contact with HIAS. We will not tolerate sexual exploitation, abuse or any form of child abuse or neglect by our staff or associated personnel. Any candidate offered a job with HIAS will be expected to sign and adhere to HIAS’ Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policies. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records. HIAS also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. Likewise, HIAS will share this information when other organizations inquire about current and former HIAS staff as part of their recruitment process. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
Closing date: 19-Oct-22