arche noVa – Initiative for People in Need is an independent, non-religious, non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Germany working in the fields of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. The primary focus of our activities lies in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Livelihoods and Education.
Since 2014 arche noVa has been active in northern Iraq / Kurdistan implementing projects, both in and out of camps, in the Diyala, Kirkuk, Salah-al-Din and Sulaymaniyah Governorates. As the situation in country is transitioning from humanitarian aid towards development interventions and durable solutions, arche noVa is actively working with stakeholders towards building long-term sustainable resilience in our areas of implementation. Our main sector of operation is WASH, with a strong focus on hygiene awareness and rehabilitation. We are currently expanding to a community focused holistic approach including agriculture and livelihoods. For the implementation and coordination of arche noVa’s country programme we are looking for a
Head of Programmes Iraq (m/f/d)
The responsibilities of the Head of Programmes include project management, financial management, operational support, communication and representation of arche noVa to the local authorities and the other local stakeholders. The Head of Programmes Iraq is based in Erbil, with frequent travel to AN field offices and their respective project sites. The position reports to the Head of Mission and oversees the programme team at the coordination office, as well as the programme and technical teams in the field offices.
Position to be filled: 01.12.2022
The Head of Programmes will
- Be responsible for planning, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation of project activities
- Support the MEAL team in developing mission monitoring and evaluation structures and processes in coordination with the MEAL coordinator
- Provide accurate and timely project-related reports according to donor requirements
- Ensure that regular needs assessments are organized and conducted
- Prepare future proposals as well as seek new funding opportunities
- Ensure budget control in cooperation with the Head of Operations and Finance Coordinator
- Be responsible for optimal use of logistical, financial and human resources to ensure the most efficient and effective project implementation
- Provide the Communications Officer at AN Iraq and the PR department at HQ with relevant material to ensure visibility of the project and for further fundraising
- Coordinate and link with partners, donors, stakeholders; proactively seeking potential collaborations and funding opportunities
- Provide on-the-job coaching for the programme team members
- Participate in organizational development as well as contribute to the arche noVa Iraq country strategy as part of the country’s Senior Management Team
- A relevant College or University degree and / or a relevant special vocational training showing a strong thematic background in WASH, agriculture or livelihoods;
- Minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience in transitional and development project management, with more than 3 years in a leading position
- Demonstrated experience and ability to effectively lead and develop an intercultural team, including through remote management
- Demonstrated experience in designing interventions to build community resilience: complex programme management in WASH, livelihoods, agriculture, Cash for Work, community engagement/ownership and resource mobilization in changing environments
- Demonstrated experience in conducting needs assessments, monitoring & evaluation of projects, writing project proposals and reports including budgets
- Knowledge of Donors (such as BMZ, UN OCHA Pooled Based Fund, ECHO, etc.)
- Fluency in English (written and oral)
- Strong sense of accountability and cultural sensitivity
- Willingness to travel to high security locations
- Flexibility, ability to work under stress and capacity to meet tight deadlines
- Language knowledge in German, Arabic and/or Kurdish
- Awareness of the Iraqi humanitarian, development, security and political context
- Working experience in the MENA region
- Experience in implementing complaint & feedback mechanisms
- Knowledge on cross-cutting issues (such as gender, inclusion and climate change) and related best practices
Duration: contract until 30.04.2024 with a 6 months probationary period and the possibility of extension. Our aim is a long-term collaboration.
We offer an employment contract with:
- Competitive salary according to internal salary scale
- International health and hazard insurance
- Monthly housing allowance for individual living
- One annual round trip per full year worked
- 2.5 days leave per month (30 days per year)
Attention: this is no family duty station. However, arche noVa is a family friendly employer and allows for flexibility regarding children or care work.
How to apply
AN is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At AN we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
Deadline: 17.10.2022; as long as it is published
Please send all your application documents (cover letter, motivation, CV, supporting documents and references) as well as your salary expectations in one pdf-document to Ms. Richter: [email protected] Please describe your motivation of working for arche noVa as Head of Programmes Iraq and why you think you are suitable for this position.
Subject: HoP Iraq
Further information: www.arche-nova.org