INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: HR Coordinator
Duty station: Dnipro with frequent travels in Ukraine
Starting date: 16/01/23
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Human Resources Manager, HR Officers
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The war broke out in Ukraine in February 2022. Since then, millions of people have spread within the country, raising a big concern on how to manage such an immense flux of people. In order to provide emergency humanitarian relief, INTERSOS has entered Ukraine shortly after the outbreak of the conflict and set up its first emergency response operations.
Currently INTERSOS team in Ukraine consists of 225 staff, operating across 5 bases, covering operational areas of: Lviv, Vinnytsia, Poltava, Odesa, Dnipropetrovsk, Kharkiv, Mykolaiv and Donetsk Oblasts providing protection and medical assistance to internally displaced persons (IDPs), their host communities, and life-saving humanitarian assistance to persons in highest needs in frontline and newly accessible areas.
General purpose of the position
In collaboration with the HOM contribute to the definition and implementation of the mission’s objectives and ensure the HR capacity required, sizing and improving people capabilities, contribution, and active participation in order to achieve the Mission goals effectively, according to INTERSOS human resources vision and values.
Work in close collaboration with the HQ National HR Coordinator to supervise all the aspects of the National staffs management, the definition of policies and strategies and the development in order to build up the career strategy and possibilities of expatriation.
Work in close collaboration with the mission HR Managers ensuring that INTERSOS is a Responsible employer in the missions of the area, supporting the proper management of HR across the board and assuming full responsibility of the HR Administrative issues in the missions.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Ensure INTERSOS manages the Human Resources as a Responsible Employer:
- Is responsible for all human resources management issues of the missions, ensuring they are aligned with HR policies and Responsible Employer frame
- Ensures implementation and revision of all HR Policies for international staff adapting standard INTERSOS policies to the missions
- Works in close collaboration with the HQ National HR Coordinator to develop local policies defining or adapting INTERSOS standard policies to the missions
Analysis of Human Resources needs:
- Contributes to planning and defining the Human Resources needs in coordination with the HOM (International and National) in the missions, analysing local capacities and supporting identifying the optimum team set-up to properly achieve the mission’s objectives and identifying key indicators in order to follow up the results, and revise the HR plan accordingly
- In coordination with the HOM defines HR strategies at the mission’s level for the National staff to ensure the missions count with the capacities and competencies needed, in the short, mid and long term (recruitment, remuneration, management and learning development plans)
- Provides advice and technical expertise to the HOM and relevant Coordinators, in order to design job profiles, organizational charts and decision-making channels for international and national positions
Support to local recruitment:
- Identifies the best local sources of recruitment according to the needs and objectives of the missions as well as defines recruitment strategy based on the analysis of the labour market with the objective of recruiting professionals and people with potential to develop within the missions/organization
- Supervises the HR Manager ensuring that local staff in the missions are properly recruited and that all staff are managed according to INTERSOS HR vision, policies and values, and provides support and technical advice to the different Coordinators in order to grant fulfilment and coherence
Management of Human Resources (International and National):
- Defines and coordinates the internal communication policy, in collaboration with all field coordination teams, organizing personnel meetings and broadcasting INTERSOS values and vision, in order to boost team building, people commitment, active participation and adherence to INTERSOS values
- Ensures systematic briefings and debriefing of all International staff in the missions and keeps regular contacts to support them
- Provides expertise to Coordinators/supervisors/activity managers on how to manage HR (team management, conflict management, stress early detection, communication, meetings…)
- Facilitates the resolution of conflicts among missions staff and looks for a viable solution in case a direct intervention is not possible
- Makes sure that cases linked to behavioural issues are prevented, detected and managed
- Ensures, in close collaboration with the relevant departments, that all international and internal movements in the missions are properly managed (visas, tickets, dates of arrival/departure, etc.) and ensures proper accommodation conditions (i.e. room, food, etc.) by informing all relevant people
- Supports and coaches as an expert all the Coordinators in their role of people’s managers
Management of International staff:
- Coordinates with Hr Managers and HQ HR Administration to follow up on HR policies, in particular, Rest & Recuperation, house allowance, family benefits, staff separation clearance checklist, flight booking and leaves
- Guarantees and facilitates the participation of the first missioners to the Induction in Rome HQ or in the region
- Ensures proper end of assignment, debriefing and capitalization of experiences and shares it with HR Department of Rome HQ (pool managers) for proposals of future missions
Management of National staff in collaboration with the HR Managers:
- Ensures alignment of mission’s objectives with HR institutional objectives beyond the missions (related to future HR capacity of the organization such as supporting the development of staff beyond missions roles, promoting spaces to train new staffs (first missions) or staffs under development plans, detachment, etc…)
- Follows the HR and Administration related issues at the mission level (recruitment, management and development of teams, contracting of national and regional employees’, remuneration of local and regional staff, etc.).
- Guides and supervises the HR Manager in the local implementation of a fair rewarding policy in the missions in accordance with INTERSOS policies and local regulations checking monthly calculations of salaries and taxes, in order to ensure internal equity, adequate competitiveness and legal compliance
- Ensures a good knowledge of the labour market: in terms of profiles available, level of qualifications, specificities, lead or request labour market studies and benchmarking studies
- Develops the missions mobility policy according to the needs and the context and with respect to policies and standards
Follow up on legal requirements:
- Supports the HOM and the HR Managers to comply with the HR legal requirements of the different Countries
- Supervises and manages administrative processes for all staff and manage conflicts when they appear, in order to ensure labour legal compliance and to improve employer branding awareness
- Is responsible to make sure that Internal regulations and all HR-related policies, procedures and administrative documents (i.e. employment contracts, payslips, etc.) are within the national legal framework
- Represents INTERSOS in meetings with Authorities and other NGOs for HR Administration related issues.
Required profile and experience
Advanced university degree. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Over 5 years experience in human resources
- At least 3 years working for an humanitarian organization, in a field based position
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills
- The ability to deal with significant workload consists of various duties and responsibilities
- Strategic vision
- People management and development
- Strong teamwork and cooperation capacities
- Good knowledge of computer skills (Microsoft Office Environment)
- Good knowledge of English
- Ukranian / Russian will be considered a plus
- Cultural sensitiveness
- Stress tolerance
- High level engagement with teams and abililty to maintain confidentiality
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/638ddb6799488f0021da326d/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Closing date: 12 Jan 2023