Organization – Adeso – adesoafrica.org
Position Title – Human Resources Officer
Line Manager – Operations and Admin Manager
Working With – All Staff
Program/Duty Station – Garowe, Somalia
Duration – 1 Year
Starting Date – Immediately
Adeso is a vibrant African-based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 30 years, we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia. Adeso is also a leader in systemic changes for decolonizing the humanitarian and development aid system. Adeso currently leads coalitions to re-imagine aid and how they can contribute to shifting power towards Global South communities that aid claims to support and is working to expand these efforts in a more formal influencing capacity. Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Based in Garowe Somalia, the Human Resources Officer will perform general HR functions and assist the HR Team as directed. He/she will work with the HR Team to ensure the efficient running of the day-to-day HR functions in Somalia.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working closely with the Heads of Departments (HoDs) and Recruitment Managers to determine staffing needs.
- Communicating with and responding to enquiries in relation to recruitment and onboarding of Staff.
- Leading the creation of recruitment plans for open positions.
- Providing administrative support to the Operations and Admin Manager and other managers throughout the recruitment and job advertising process.
- Advertising vacancies on job websites, newspaper classifieds, with professional organizations and in other appropriate venues.
- Acting as liaison with advertising agencies.
- Screening incoming CVs and assessing them for relevant knowledge, skills, experience and aptitudes.
- Providing the longlists of qualified candidates to Recruiting Managers for shortlisting.
- Performing in-person and telephone interviews with candidates.
- Communicating employer information/benefits during screening process.
- Coordinating interviews with the Recruiting Managers, evaluating applicants by discussing job requirements and applicant qualifications; interviewing them on a consistent set of qualifications.
- Documenting interview summaries and hiring decisions.
- Performing reference/background checks for successful candidates.
- Sending job offer emails and answer queries about compensation and benefits.
- Following up with the related clerical aspects of employment, such as completing of health, employment and insurance forms, notifying the HoDs and Recruitment Managers of the new employee’s starting date etc.
- Organizing the induction programs/schedules for new employees.
- Ensuring all recruitment and onboarding documents are managed and processed in a timely manner.
- Completing timely Recruitment Status Report Updates for review by the HR Manager and Recruitment Managers.
- Monitoring and applying HR recruiting best practices.
- Using Adeso policies and procedures and other relevant standards to guide the performance of the recruitment and onboarding function.
- Staying current on the organizational structure, personnel policy, and labor laws regarding employment practice.
Employee and Consultancy Contract Database Management
- Updating the employee and consultancy contract database on regular basis.
- Updating Line Managers of approaching contract end dates, probation dates, and performance review dates for employees and consultants under their supervision two (2) months in advance to enable them take appropriate actions.
Employee Leave Management
- Notifying staff of their accrued/usage of leave days.
- Receiving Leave Request Forms from staff in order to confirm leave balances before approval by Line Managers.
- Updating the employee Leave Database on a regular basis.
- Filing employee Leave Request Forms in the appropriate physical files.
- Announcing/disseminating information on staff who are taking leave so as to let other departments know who their substitutes are while on leave.
- Receiving approved invoices and time sheets from consultants, temporary and casual staff and volunteers for payment processing as per the set schedules, in accordance with the donors and Adeso’s rules and regulations.
Exit and Separation
- Notifying exiting staff of the Organization’s acceptance of resignation.
- Providing guidance on the exit and clearance process and documentation.
- Conducting interviews with employees during the exit process.
- Computing staff final dues for review and approval by the HR Manager.
- He/she will be the custodian of all personnel and consultancy physical files.
- Receiving, verifying and filing monthly employee time sheets.
- Scanning and uploading documents to the available cloud platforms.
- Preparing HR files and other relevant documents for audits.
Providing information and feedback on general HR queries from staff and external parties.
Participating in employee performance management review meetings when necessary.
Making new staff ID card requests from the vendor.
Supporting and assisting in coordination of HR communication.
Administrative tasks as instructed from time to time.
Any other duties as may be assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in HR, Business Management/Administration or equivalent;
- At least one (4) years’ experience in HR or administration, preferably with an INGO;
- Fluent spoken and written Somali language required;
- Substantial knowledge of HR administrative procedures and systems;
- Experience with employee-benefits administration;
- Computer skills – MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Effective communication skills – proficiency in written and spoken English and Swahili a must;
- A strong team-player and committed to diversity, equal opportunity and capacity building;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers;
- Experience administering employee benefits including medical insurance.
- Experience working with remote teams in a multicultural environment.
How to apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected], quoting “HR Officer” in the email subject matter, by 24th October 2022.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter that should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal-opportunity employer.