Caritas Czech Republic
I. Information about the position
Name of position: Humanitarian Advisor
Expected length of employment: at least 12 months with the possibility of extension (long-term cooperation preferred)
Type of position: Full-time
Place of employment: Prague, Czech Republic (with regular travel to country offices including Moldova, Ukraine and Turkey)
Start date: November 2022
II. Organizational context
Caritas Czech Republic (CCR) is a non-profit non-governmental organization with field activities in 27 countries (Europe, Asia, Middle East and Africa) and an extensive social services program in the Czech Republic assisting more than 100,000 clients. CCR is a member of the international network of Caritas Internationalis and cooperates with a number of international and local partners.
The core of CCR’s activities focuses on development cooperation and longer-term programming. However, the share of humanitarian and nexus interventions is growing, especially in the sectors of shelter, cash and emergency livelihoods, WASH and health.
The Humanitarian Advisor will be based at CCR’s HQ in Prague while working closely with CCR’s country offices. He/she will advise country teams during the development of new humanitarian programs, share practical sectoral expertise and coordinate knowledge sharing on humanitarian programming across CCR offices.
Key responsibilities of the position will be:
· Advise field staff on the principles of humanitarian interventions and practical issues related to the implementation of humanitarian projects
· Provide practical sectoral advice in the sectors of shelter, cash and emergency livelihoods, WASH and health based on internationally recognized standards (e.g. Sphere) and instruments
· Mentor and train CCR staff on guidelines and standard practices used by institutional donors including DG ECHO and OCHA
· Contribute to the development of new humanitarian project proposals for a variety of institutional donors including DG ECHO and OCHA
· Coordinate staff participation in relevant country humanitarian clusters
· Provide strategic advice on the implementation of humanitarian aid interventions across all country programmes, identify priorities and prepare different scenarios in case of new emergencies
· Support the MEAL team of CCR in conducting proper field assessments, monitoring and evaluation within humanitarian aid interventions
· Participate in relevant work groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on emergency humanitarian operations
· Prepare or contribute to the preparation of various written reports, documents and communications, e.g. drafts sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, briefings, case studies, presentations, correspondence, related to Caritas Czech Republic’s humanitarian interventions
· Minimum of five years of experience in emergency humanitarian operations in multiple countries, with preferable experience in providing expertise in DG ECHO-funded interventions
· Good knowledge of humanitarian assistance and emergency relief architecture
· Demonstrated track record in implementation of humanitarian interventions in the sectors of shelter, cash and emergency livelihoods, WASH and health
· Ability to conduct research, including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources
· Excellent written and spoken English
· Experience in project proposal development
V. What we offer
· Career development in a value-driven professional organization, suitable especially for dynamic professionals;
· Opportunity to apply and further develop creative and independent working approach;
· Gross monthly remuneration is negotiable with potential future increase in case of significant results;
· 25 days of paid leave / year, in addition to official public holidays;
How to apply
Qualified candidates may send their applications to the following e-mail address [email protected]. The application must include a brief motivation letter, not longer than 1 page, and a maximum 4-page CV or resume. Please type “Humanitarian Advisor” in the Subject. The deadline for submission is 30 November, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The applications are reviewed on a continual basis and a suitable candidate may be hired before the deadline.