Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. New York Service Portfolios Office (NYPO) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the Group of 77 to implement the project activities for the G77 Group.
The Group of 77 Executive Secretariat facilitates the operationalization of the G-77 work with the UN and the Permanent Missions. Established by the First G-77 South Summit in Havana in 2000, it is designed to bolster South-South cooperation and to enable member states to systematically share their knowledge, experience, and intelligence amongst themselves in an effort to strengthen the negotiating capacity of the G-77. In this context and under the general guidance and supervision of the Programme Coordinator of the Group of 77, the Intern will work close collaboration with the staff of the Group of 77, as well as with staff of other UN agencies and the Permanent Missions and will assist in the designing of various internal/external materials (i.e. reports, posters, icons, etc.) for print and web.
The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the supervision of Deputy Executive Secretary of the Group of 77, specific intern responsibilities include:
- Designing and building Websites, layouts and materials, and editing Web contents;
- Producing clear, concise and vivid materials that convey key messages to target audiences;
- Image management, including research and organization of the G77 photo library;
- Perform certain administrative tasks such as mailing materials produced;
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Enrollment in a University Degree Programme in Graphic Design, Illustration, Visual Communication studies or a related field.
- Applicants who have graduated from such studies within the recent three years will also be considered eligible for the position.
- Any prior work experience is not required. A portfolio of relevant work would be an asset.
- Good Web and graphic design knowledge.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and determination to meet deadlines.
- General interest in photography and basic photography skills.
- Knowledge of PHP and MySQL is a plus.
- Knowledge of popular CMS systems, such as Drupal and WordPress, is a plus.
- Good familiarity with Adobe CC suite DTP software i.e. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and InDesign, or similar design/authoring tools.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills, i.e. MS PowerPoint, MS Publisher, MS Word and Excel.
- Basic understanding of front-end UI and HCI from a design perspective.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of a second G77 working language is desirable.
Integrity and Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Internship
Contract duration: 4 months with the possibility of extension
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lumpsum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to apply
Please click on the link below to apply:
Deadline: 27 Mar 2023