International Organization for Migration
Position Title: International Consultant – Migration Profile
Duty Station: Home based with duty travel to Lao PDR
Type of Appointment: Consultant
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing date: 29 May 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Nature of the consultancy
Consultant to develop the Lao PDR Migration Profile and Data collection Training Manual in coordination with the migration governance focal person and the Inter-ministerial Technical Working Group leading by the Ministry of planning and Investment.
Project Context and Scope
After over a decade since the International Organization for Migration (IOM) started its operation in Lao People’s Democratic Republic, the Lao government joined as a 171st Member State of IOM in June 2018. As a new Member State with limited data and information available on migration, particularly the comprehensive analysis on the current status of migration and its impact, the Migration Profile could be a useful tool to have a foundation for future policy development and programming.
The overall objective of this project is to promote and support evidence-based policy making and to call attention to the benefits of mainstreaming migration into the policy planning process through the development and dissemination of a Migration Profile. This project aims to promote development-friendly migration policies through enhancing the evidence base for policy development, strengthening coordination and information-sharing within the government and encouraging dialogue on emerging migration challenges and benefits. The project is part of a broader programme on enhancing the linkage between migration management and development in Lao People’s Democratic Republic, to be implemented under the 9th National Socio-Economic Development Plan (NSEDP) 2021-2025 and the United Nations Sustainable Cooperation Development Framework (UNSDCF) 2022-2026 and other government’s priorities including COVID-19 Recovery Plan.
In order to enhance the coordination among relevant stakeholders and ensure their ownership, the project will establish an Inter-ministerial Technical Working Group, and the Migration Profile will be prepared in full consultation with the Working Group members. Based on the gaps and priorities identified during the migration profile development process, the project through policy discussion sessions will support the government in developing policy recommendations and action plans aimed at leveraging the benefits of migration for development and mitigating its negative consequences. The process of preparing a Migration Profile itself will bring together a wide range of stakeholders, which would foster mutual understanding and facilitate coordination among stakeholders.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the consultant is contributing:
Within the Migration Policy Unit, the consultant will be working with the migration governance focal person based in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Project name: Migration Profile in Lao PDR
The consultant will work under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in close coordination with the migration governance focal person of IOM Lao PDR.
Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment and realistic delivery dates and details as to how the work must be delivered.
Deliverable 1: Data mapping (assessment of available data sources, quality of data, reliability, and consistency of data, data users’ needs and priorities, and information gaps). June to September 2022
Deliverable 2: Design data collection methodology and present during ITWG meeting. October to November 2022
Deliverable 3: Develop, finalize and disseminate the Migration Profile Report. January to May 2023
Deliverable 4: Develop and finalize the training manual on data collection, monitoring and reporting and conduct the training to government officials. October to December 2022
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education, experience and//or skills required
· Postgraduate degree in Migration Studies, Public Policy, Social Sciences, Economics, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least 5 years of experience in a relevant field.
· University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience
· Demonstrated experience in producing high quality research products in international development, social sciences, migration, labour rights, or another relevant field is required.
· Experience working in the Asia-Pacific region is an advantage; Experience in developing national, regional and/or global strategic priorities is an advantage.
· Previous experience working with one or more UN agencies is an advantage.
· Excellent writing, communication and time management skills, gender, and cultural sensitivity.
· ability to maintain effective working relationships with government authorities, national and international organizations, and other project partners.
· Ability to research, interpret information, identify and analyse problems and propose solutions.
· Strong workshop facilitation abilities.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this consultancy, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
For applicants to be considered, applicants are required to apply via PRIMS IOM e-recruitment system and attach the following:
· Motivation letter
· Workplan and number of days for consultancy
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values****
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies –* behavioural indicators*
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit application via e-mail: [email protected] and copy [email protected] by 29 May 2022 at the latest with the subject line of International Consultant for Lao PDR Migration Profile.