ECPAT International is a global network of organisations working together for the elimination of the sexual exploitation of children in all its manifestations i.e. exploitation of children in prostitution, online child sexual exploitation, sale and trafficking of children for sexual purposes, sexual exploitation of children in travel and tourism and some forms of child, early and forced marriage. The ECPAT Network currently consists of 122 members working at national and local levels in 104 countries.
The ECPAT Research unit is managing various research projects including a component of legal analysis and research and is looking for a Junior Associate to conduct legal research and analysis and contribute to the overall work of the research sector.
- Undertake secondary research related to national substantive and procedural legislation as well as national policies and frameworks on various forms of sexual exploitation of children in target countries;
- Based on the secondary research conducted, develop and draft legal and policy analyses and reports on sexual exploitation of children for ECPAT publications (such as ECPAT Country Overviews) and reports for the submission with global or regional human rights mechanisms, such as: the Human Rights Council for the Universal Periodical Review; the Committee on the Rights of the Child for their review of the implementation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child and/or the Optional Protocol on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography or; the Africa Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child for their review on child rights and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child;
- Collaborate in supporting ECPAT network members in their research queries and requests for technical input as needed;
- Support communication and advocacy work in collaboration with the different ECPAT teams, including supporting internal and external communication plans, and the development and design of advocacy plans and roadmaps.
- Assist in technical editing and verification of text and sources of key research and policy publications as necessary;
- Support the production of publications and work with ECPAT’s designer to complete layout of research publications
- Coordinate the organisation of project-related meetings, including attending and taking minutes.
- Other tasks as required to support the team.
- Advanced degree in Law with a focus in international law and/or human rights or equivalent
- Experience in desk-based legal research;
- Knowledge on child sexual exploitation and abuse is an asset;
- Ability to work autonomously and multi-task;
- Strong organisational skills and ability to manage time and meet deadlines;
- Fluent in English language (spoken and written);
- Fluent in Spanish and/or French language (spoken and written);
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
This is an entry level position for a young professional in an early phase of their career. The consultancy rate that can be offered for this position will reflect this.
Management and Reporting Arrangements
The Consultant will report to the Legal Research Coordinator of ECPAT International and work in collaboration with other members of the research and communications team and beyond.
- This is a home-based position; the consultant will work from home but should be available online to work and communicate with the ECPAT’s Research team in Bangkok for at least 3 hours during the timeframe 9am – 5pm (GMT+7);
- The Consultant is expected to act at all times in a manner consistent with the values of ECPAT International and in compliance with the organisation’s policies and procedures including Child Safeguarding Policy and the Staff Code of Conduct.
- Initial assignment will be for one year, with full-time engagement
How to apply
Expression of interest: please send to [email protected]
- cover email
Mention in the subject header: your name and “Legal Research Associate”
Deadline: 30 August 2022 – please note that applications will be reviewed as they come in so ECPAT encourages you to apply early.
Closing date: 8/30/2022