Results for Development Institute
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D is seeking a Manager of Information Technology, EdTech Hub who will be dedicated to supporting our flagship EdTech Hub program.
About EdTech Hub
R4D is the prime contractor for the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) Directorate for Research and Innovation Hub on Technology for Education (EdTech Hub) programme. The aim of EdTech Hub is to empower people by giving them the evidence they need to make decisions about technology in education as part of a global non-profit partnership focusing on research, innovation and engagement.
At EdTech Hub we do rigorous academic research on how to use technology in education and provide technical assistance to support decision-makers inside and outside government to make clear policy and implementation decisions to achieve maximum impact. EdTech Hub additionally seeks to function as a “hub” for learning, and share a range of global public goods to make evidence available to a wide audience.
EdTech Hub is delivered through a consortium of R4D and five core sub-contractors, two regional sub-contractors, as well as a range of country- and activity-specific local and international sub-contractors. From a management perspective, it is a complex program funded by multiple donors including various departments within the FCDO, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the World Bank and UNICEF. Ed Tech Hub is in the 4th year of an anticipated 8-year funding period, with a secured budget of £24M.
This position sits within the R4D education team, and specifically within the EdTech Hub program. You will be successful in this position if you are skilled at being the bridge between the deeply technical aspects of IT and development work and the collaborative aspects of working with non-technical internal “clients” focused on program delivery. You will be an integrated figure in the EdTech Hub communications team reporting to the Head of Communications and you will liaise with multiple subject matter leads within EdTech Hub to help them achieve their programmatic goals. Therefore, comfort in organizing across international time zones is vital, as you will support content creators globally.You will also be the connection to the R4D IT department to ensure we are effectively and seamlessly supporting the program in our role as “prime” for EdTech Hub.
As the Manager of Information Technology, EdTech Hub for EdTech Hub, you will lead the program’s management of IT systems and infrastructure across all products and services, act as our systems administrator and laisse with internal and external team members and consultants in that capacity. Duties will include:
You should also bring to the table strong backend development expertise, with experience in open source requirements and accessibility needs in low- and middle-income (LMIC) countries. This will include:
In both capacities, you will be a collaborative and responsive member of the EdTech Hub communication team providing in-house digital support including:
You are comfortable working with a high-volume, high-touch, content-generating team of subject-area experts, and you have an experienced perspective on how to ensure openness and accessibility on our dissemination channels and platforms. Additional consideration will be given to those with prior experience in the LMIC EdTech sector.
Individuals with the right to work in the US, UK or the Hub priority countries of Ghana, Kenya and Tanzania are able to apply for this full-time staff role. Applicants with the right to work in the Hub priority countries of Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sierra Leone will be considered for contractor roles. EdTech Hub seeks to ensure equal opportunities and an inclusive working environment for all staff. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. We embrace diversity and difference.
- Monitoring and maintaining EdTechHub.org, Evidence Library, Tools databases and any new database created to house or that serve as a Global Public Good.
- Implementing security protocols and procedures to prevent potential threats, and advising on advancements and best practices in IT administration
- Ensuring compliance with objectives, policies, procedures, and standards
- Educating coworkers about security and best practices for computer and systems usage
- Performing quality control on all projects and implementing improvements for tech and UX update
- Collaborating with R4D’s IT team relating to work on EdTech Hub
- Fielding data protection requests (perform research to respond to a data subject request to modify, delete, or update data) on EdTech Hub in collaboration with R4D IT
- Serving as Administrator for the programs and platforms on which and with which EdTech Hub does business: Google Suite, Slack, Zoom, Eventbrite, Zotero, Zenodo, Zotzen, social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram), and web platforms (WordPress, Digital Ocean) administrator for EdTech Hub, including any new platforms required. This includes:
- Creating user accounts and performing access control
- Providing training and technical support to staff
- Tracking billing, expirations, and updates
- Monitoring security and updates on digital programs and platforms.
- Serving as backend developer and lead for updates to EdTech Hub existing digital products including but not limited to edtechhub.org, Evidence Library, and other existing web properties.
- Serving as backend developer and lead to build new digital features for internal or public use. Examples may include an intranet, databases, digital libraries and databases, microsites, and more.
- As-required tech support on EdTech Hub-hosted external events, webinars, meetings (virtual, and in-person by request)
- Coordinating with other engineers and crew members to ensure quality products are completed on schedule
- Standing up new web pages and features for EdTech Hub website
- Managing the IT budget and ensuring cost-effectiveness
- Liaising with stakeholders such as project personnel and end-users regarding project requirements.
- Participates fully as a member of R4D by contributing, assisting, and participating in projects, activities, and initiatives as requested by management.
- 5 years’ experience in IT, development and/or systems administration
– Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present and work through complex technical issues with non-technical colleagues
– Fluency in English required, with command of other languages spoken in Hub-focus countries a plus
– Direct experience working with Google Suite, Slack, Zoom, Eventbrite, Zotero, Zenodo, Zotzen, WordPress and Elementor, AWS, and Digital Ocean required
– Enthusiastic about joining a diverse and inclusive work environment
– Comfortable with virtual work and collaboration with colleagues dispersed across the globe as a norm.
– High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability
– Experience tracking and managing resources required
– Highly collaborative and approachable team member who is enthusiastic about supporting the team and working closely with others at EdTech Hub
– Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment across multiple projects and work streams with competing time/resource demands
– Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
– Enthusiasm, energy, good judgement, and humor
– Motivated to learn, grow, contribute and produce
- 5 years’ experience in IT, development and/or systems administration
How to apply
Please click here to apply.
Closing date: 9/23/2022