Career with BRAC International
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organisation, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low-income countries, including in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organisation of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world’s biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002, and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights. BRAC believes that every person has inherent potential, and when an enabling environment is created and that potential is unleashed, even the poorest can become agents of positive change in their own lives, for their families and their communities.
BRAC International (BI) is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Manager, Youth Empowerment Programme, BRAC International
The Manager – Youth Empowerment Programme will be responsible for providing technical and operational support to the country programme teams focused on adolescents and youth related programming across Asia and Africa. The incumbent is expected to be experienced in leading adolescents and youth programming and/or economic empowerment and technical capacity development of field teams in the Global South.
Technical and Programmatic:
- Coordinate with multiple country teams to ensure effective programme implementation by managing projects under the youth empowerment programme in BRAC International countries.
- Provide support to youth empowerment senior leadership teams in regional and head offices to implement, monitor and evaluate adolescent and youth programme implementation across country contexts.
- Assist with and coordinate stakeholder engagement to support the curriculum development process for projects under youth empowerment programme.
- Work closely with other technical programme and support units at HO and in the countries to ensure cross-unit collaboration and adolescent and youth programme integration.
- Contribute to the development of new and innovative approaches to support project implementation and address challenges faced by adolescent and youth, especially girls/young women.
- Work closely with country programme teams to innovate and coordinate collaboration across global BRAC adolescent and youth programming.
- Contribute actively to youth empowerment initiatives and projects as assigned by supervisor and other Youth empowerment senior leadership.
- Ensure operational quality and integrity of country youth empowerment programme operations through support and guidance to programme teams in countries.
- Ensure mechanisms are in place to measure and improve the quality of programmes.
- Ensure effective data collection and documentation to capture and disseminate lessons learned and promising practices from the programmes operating across countries with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure capacity development of field staff through training, mentoring, and/or other guidance and transfer of technical skills to the local staff.
- Practice, promote and endorse all aspects of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Willingness to learn BRAC approach and support fidelity to programmatic model across contexts.
- Financial management skills to assist in programme budget preparation.
- Resource review, data monitoring and budget modifications.
- Demonstrated ability to advocate and network with the youth platform, youth policy makers and implementing organizations to provide future direction of the respective countries PMs in developing partnerships.
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
- Masters/Bachelors in the relevant field. Youth Development, Education, Social Science, Development studies, International Development, Gender studies, and Community Development is preferred.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in the subject area (education, youth sector, youth employment, AGYW empowerment)
- Experience and knowledge of Global South (particularly in the countries of Asia and Africa) development challenges, particularly in the sector of education and youth.
- Experience in connecting youth programming to social and economic opportunities/engagement with decent work-related activities.
- Project management experience.
- Intercultural sensitivity, diplomacy, and maturity to enable effective engagement with diverse and virtual teams.
- Ability to produce highly professional reports and donor updates with excellent English & professional writing skills.
- Ability to use technology efficiently and effectively for project management including email, Google Drive, project management software, online databases and video conferencing technology.
- Good Facilitation skills.
- Highly motivated and flexible team player who leads by example.
- Open to learn quickly and openly unlearn approaches that may be ineffective in a given context.
- Effective communication and networking skills with the ability to engage a wide variety of stakeholders.
Secondary skills set:
- Experience in either social protection, gender-based violence, community mobilization, digital learning, ed-tech based education.
- Experience working in harsh conditions and sensitivity to issues affecting marginalized and conflict affected populations including refugee and host communities.
- At least 3-5 years’ practical experience working with NGOs (preferably with Education, Youth development programs or related programs)
Employment type: Regular/Contractual
Job Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh / Nairobi
How to apply
If you feel you are the right match for the above mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at [email protected]
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to [email protected]
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 137/22 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 10 January 2023
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment policy and procedure include extensive background checks and disclosure of criminal records in order to ensure safeguarding to the fullest extent.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer
Closing date: 10 Jan 2023