General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb and Aleppo Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations in communities and IDP camps, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households. Under Food security, GOAL delivers assistance through food kits and food vouchers, with the latter making up the majority of the food distribution caseload. In 2020 GOAL Syria plans to expand the food voucher programme to include Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance (MPCA) to the same beneficiaries receiving food assistance. This will provide the most vulnerable with the purchasing power to meet their essential food and non-food needs on a monthly basis.
Reporting to the CVA Coordinator, The Markets Manager will primarily be contributing into the program design, implementation of the market based activities in GOAL’s food voucher and regular MPCA programme, including support to design and planning, implementation and reporting, and staff supervision and coordination. Additional market based support will be provided to other sectors as requested including but not limited to nutrition, emergency, WASH, Shelter and ERMS (Early Recovery Market Systems). The Markets Manager will be responsible for ensuring all Market activities are implemented in line with GOAL guidelines, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) etc. With support from GOAL’s Cash & Voucher Assistance (CVA) Coordinator the Markets Manager will deliver evidenced based programming that is informed by market assessments, programme data and reports and different Monitoring Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) tools, processes and mechanisms. The Markets Manger will be responsible for the direct management of the Senior Markets Officer, based in Turkey.
Duties, objectives and competencies
Programme Design and Strategy
- In coordination with the CVA Coordinator, contribute to the design and implementation of the market teams activities within the food voucher, regular MPCA programme and other programmes as required including, tracking vendors’ selection and contracting and ensuring high quality market assessments are carried out. Also, the candidate will be responsible for monitoring the performance of shopkeepers.
- In coordination with the CVA Coordinator contribute to the development of a CVA program strategy designed specifically for the Syrian context.
- Contribute to the development of concept notes and proposals for GOAL and partners destined for submission to donors.
- Contribute to the development and review of all Guidelines and SOPs pertaining to market activities
- Track progress against weekly, monthly, and annual plans. Identify gaps and systematically develop processes to gather data, analyze options, and propose evidence-based solutions to ensure timely and effective implementation of activities.
- Participate in the development and implementation of market based assessments.
Programme Management and Implementation
- Directly line manage the Markets Officer in Turkey and in coordination with the CVA Coordinator provide technical support to the Market teams in Syria.
- Update all Markets trackers on a weekly basis.
- Assist the field team in the development and the implementation of Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPs) for all relevant activities
- Communicating with the field team in Syria on a daily basis to confirm the progress of activities as per the DIP and report this along with any challenges faced to the CVA Coordinator.
- Support the CVA Coordinator with tracking market programme expenses to support budget management.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the procurement plans.
- Contribute to quality assurance of all programme items by ensuring all donor and GOAL standard testing is carried out in a timely manner.
- Carry out additional tasks related to market based programming as required.
Programme Quality and Compliance
- In close coordination with the CVA Coordinator and MEL departments, contribute into quarterly and annual reviews of learnings gleaned through programme data and reports and MEL mechanisms.
- Contribute to the development of ‘Terms of References’ (TORs) for all Third-Party Monitoring (TPM) Activities and programme evaluations for GOAL’s CVA programming and support the review of all TPM reports and evaluations
- Contribute to the development of all monitoring tools, particularly all market monitoring, distribution and post distribution tools.
- Ensure all market activities are implemented in line with GOAL’s Guidelines and SOPs.
- Follow-up on a weekly basis with the HR department for all markets staff recruitment.
- Implement an activity monitoring process and share findings with CVA Coordinator for dissemination to donors and coordination forums.
- Translation of field reports from Arabic into English when required.
- Maintain files and archives of CVA Support program documentation, including shopkeeper contracts, market monitoring and analysis, market assessments, market support activities.
- Assist the CVA Coordinator to ensure the gender, protection and safeguarding are integrated into programme design and implementation. Have a commitment to beneficiary accountability & humanitarian principles and GOAL’s Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy.
- Conduct the initial review of the monthly Markets report produced by the Markets Senior Officer.
- Disseminate internally to GOAL staff the monthly Markets report and data analysis, once reviewed by the CVA Coordinator.
- Send markets and vendors related inputs to the CVA Coordinator on a monthly basis for both the BHA monthly report and the HQ monthly report.
- Support the coordination activities with humanitarian actors, the Cash Working Group (CWG) and the Food Security & Livelihoods (FSL) Cluster in Turkey to coordinate GOAL planned activities and avoid potential overlapping. Responsible to track and maintain records of humanitarian needs in GOAL areas of operation.
- Represent GOAL CVA programme in coordination and technical forums/Cluster/Working Groups as requested
- Responsible for contributing to and/or submitting 4Ws report to the CWG and FSL Cluster.
- Liaise with other departments including finance/administration, procurement and human resource departments to ensure adequate support for all project activities.
- Ensure information is circulated to the field teams and Partners appropriately.
- Turkish citizenship
- Degree level qualification in food security, engineering, nutrition, science, economics, business management or any other relevant field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in humanitarian programming in the field of CVA, food security, livelihoods, or market-based programming with an I/NGO with at least two year experience in a programme management or coordination position.
- Proven experience of working in Northwest Syria context
- At least 2 years of experience in market assessment, analysis, and monitoring tools.
- A demonstrable high level of capacity in project management, budget management, strategy development, and proposal writing.
- Strong analytical and writing skills. Experience of donor reporting.
- Fluent written and spoken in English and Arabic language and competency of translation from English to Arabic and vice versa.
- Strong computer skills with particular competencies with Microsoft Office applications (including MS Word and Excel).
- The ability and willingness to travel to Northern Syria to GOAL area of operation, particularly Azaz and Afrin in North Aleppo.
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in Idlib and Aleppo governorates and understanding of the humanitarian crisis in Syria.
“Please note that GOAL does not charge a fee of any kind or any other financial obligation at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, induction) or other fees, or request information on applicants’ bank accounts. GOAL does not work with intermediary institutions and individuals or employment agencies during the recruitment process. If any fee or payment is requested from you at the application or any stage of the recruitment process, please do not respond.”
GOAL’ün, işe alım sürecinin (başvuru, başvuruların işlenmesi, mülakat, eğitim, oryantasyon) hiç bir aşamasında hiç bir şekilde ücret talep etmediğini, başvuru sahibine herhangi bir finansal yükümlülük yüklemediğini ya da başvuru sahibine ait banka bilgilerini talep etmediğini unutmayınız. GOAL işe alım süreci boyunca hiç bir aracı kurum ya da kuruluş yahut istihdam bürosuyla çalışmamaktadır. Eğer başvuru sırasında ya da işe alım sürecinin herhangi bir aşamasında sizden herhangi bir ücret ya da ödeme talep edilirse lütfen yanıt vermeyiniz.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the “apply now” button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline is 1 Novomber 2022.