Peace Winds Japan
PEACE WINDS JAPAN
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH and youth development to improve living environments of refuge and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self- reliance in the communities in Dadaab, Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
PWJ is UNHCR partner responsible for WASH, Warehouse, Motor vehicle Service Unit, centralized fleet and fuel management for Dadaab Refugee Operations.
Reporting to the Water Officer, the Master Plumber will be responsible for quality installation of water reticulation systems, repair of bursts, ensuring that all water appurtenances are fixed correctly and in a professional manner and will train and mentor repair team members.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Installation of water pipes and fittings
- Guide a team of refugee’s plumbers in repair and installation of water reticulation system when a need arises and fixing associated fittings.
- In collaboration with other team members, give technical extension information to the tap stand monitors on areas of facilities proper/prudent management for sustainability.
- Lead the repair team in pressure regulation for equitable potable water distribution in the reticulation system, in line with the set water regime and SPHERE / UNHCR standards.
- Work in collaboration with Water Officer in ensuring efficient and yet uninterrupted water supply during supply hours, should there be any repair work it should be attended in the shortest time possible.
- Prepare a record of daily activities performed in the field and submit weekly reports to the supervisor.
- Provide a record of all repairs and bursts attended during the week for documentation.
- Inspect and certify any pipe repair work done by refugees’ plumbers before back-filling the soil to ensure quality workmanship is maintained.
- Approve trench excavation done by contractors to ensure correct depth and width is achieved before pipe installation commences.
- Supervise the repair team member and ensure appropriate work allocation for each work day.
Collaboration and Networking
- Work together with WASH committees, community leadership in the field in identification of problematic areas, water reticulation systems with a view of providing a sustainable solution.
- Collaborate with other agencies’ staff in the field
- Degree/Diploma in plumbing course and skills in accurate reporting.
- Certificate in Microsoft office
Experience: 5 years working in a building maintenance environment as a Plumbing technician is required
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Must have fundamentals of plumbing theory relating to the installation and testing of water supply and distribution systems
- Must have ability to comprehend relevant safety requirement in the application of chemicals and the disposals procedures in accordance with international safety standards.
- Sensitivity in handling hazardous materials and their disposal.
- Reliable, Respectful, Honest and has good safety skills.
- Commitment to and understanding of PWJ Vision, Mission and Values.
- Working Proficiency: English/Kiswahili Languages.
- Sensitivity in handling and disposing of documents which may be important.
- Reliability, Honesty and good organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment as a team player.
- Flexibility and willing to adapt to changing environment.
- Good communication and writing skills.
- Good organizational and planning skills
General Employee Obligations and Responsibilities
- The Employer stipulates the right to assign the Employee any other kind of work derived from his/her specialization. In case of urgent work and such like the Employee may be asked to work overtime as well as during public and other holidays.
- Adhering to all PWJ’s policies and procedures at all times.
- Deliver project objectives within time, resource and budget constraints.
- Correctness and completeness of given tasks.
- The Employee takes over the responsibility for all entrusted material or cash. The Employee is obligated to cover all damages or losses caused by his carelessness.
- Prompt providing of all relevant information to his/her supervisor.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information gained from employment within and not publicly available.
- Representing and upholding the values of PWJ at all times.
- Behave in appropriate manners at all times and in all places.
- English: professional fluency.
- Kiswahili: Native/Advanced.
How to apply
The position is based at Dadaab refugee camp. Hot weather is prevalent throughout the year. The holder of this position is recruited in line with the PWJ terms and conditions of service. The incumbent shall reside in UNHCR refugee camp while executing official duties.
Additional information of the posting
We are looking to recruit national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are cordially invited to send a cover letter (1 page) and resume (2 pages) as one pdf document no later than 10th January, 2023 to: [email protected]. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for taking this post. Due to the urgency to fill this position, shortlisting and interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information about Peace Winds Japan, please visit https://peace-winds.org/en/
Closing date: 10 Jan 2023