Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS Philippines, established in 1945, is the longest running, continuous CRS country program in the world with extensive programming in peacebuilding, emergency response and recovery, and disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation. The Philippines country program has over 120 staff members in Manila, Davao, Cotabato City and Tacloban offices. CRS Philippines is committed to collaborate with our strong network of church partners, national and subnational government agencies and secular NGOs throughout the country, strategically advancing local leadership to achieve sustainable development goals in the Philippines.
Working in close coordination with the MEAL Lead and other programming staff, and with implementing partners and community members, you will assist in operationalizing monitoring, evaluation accountability and learning (MEAL) systems in support of CRS’s work to serve the poor and vulnerable. You will help ensure that relevant data are collected, documented, managed, and made accessible to project stakeholders, as appropriate. You will support MEAL-related capacity building efforts for CRS and implementing partner staff, as needed.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project MEAL activities as outlined in the Detailed Implementation Plan in line with CRS program quality principles, standards and MEAL practices; donor MEAL requirements; and industry good practices.
- Monitor and report any MEAL-related challenges and gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Assist partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
- Lead the roll-out and implementation of the project’s feedback, response and complaint mechanism (FCRM). Support actively seeking and responding to feedback from all members of targeted communities and other stakeholders as defined by the FCRM.
- Support field-level project M&E activities (including digital data collection) and assisting partners in their efforts to collect and ensure timely evidence-based analysis of project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Collaborate with local partner(s) to prepare MEAL-related aspects of reports per established reporting schedule.
- Collect information on staff MEAL capacity needs and technical assistance needs of partner organizations and monitor MEAL-related capacity-building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
- Complete project documentation for assigned MEAL activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
- Support program learning and decision-making by posing thoughtful questions, engaging with project data, reflecting upon and sharing with project management the information gathered from community members and partners.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in project support.
- Experience in the field of MEAL and for an NGO would be a plus.
- Additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgement.
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members.
- Attention to details, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities.
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Filipino is required
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: MEAL Manager, PM II for H&C, Project Officer, Technical Associate, and other program staff
- *External:*Partner MEAL Officers, project and cluster partners, DHSUD, PHIVOLCS, ASEP, BARMM-MHSD and other local government partners
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Competencies Relevant for Specific Position
- MEAL in Design: Developing project-level Theories of change, results frameworks, Proframes, related MEAL system tools and competencies (Introductory)
- Monitoring: Implementing monitoring activities, including timely collection of quality data, set up and maintenance of databases, facilitation of participatory reflection on monitoring results, and submission of timely progress reports. (Basic)
- Evaluation: Supporting project and program evaluations and reviews by ensuring the quality of evaluation methods, tools, and data and facilitating the use of evaluation results to inform decision making and enhance learning. (Basic)
- Accountability: Improving our accountability to a range of stakeholders through increased participation, transparent communication, responsive feedback mechanisms, and adherence to internal and external quality standards and requirements (Solid)
- Learning: Promoting excellent knowledge management and collaborative learning processes at the project, program and institutional levels, generating robust evidence for project and programmatic learning that leads to action, decision-making and influence (Introductory)
- Analysis & Critical Thinking: Engaging with data, challenging biases and assumptions, posing thoughtful questions, pursuing deeper understanding of evidence through reflection and perspective-taking, and making informed programming decisions. (Basic)
- ICT for MEAL: Applying knowledge on information and communication technologies (ICT), both hardware and software, for opportune and accurate data collection, database management, conducting analyses, and making information easily accessible (Introductory)
- MEAL in Management: Managing financial and human resources in a way that optimizes the quality, effectiveness, and utility of MEAL systems (Basic)
How to apply
Interested applicants must apply through this link on or before 13 January 2023.
This position is open for Filipino nationals only.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Closing date: 13 Jan 2023