EnCompass LLC is seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist to support the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Designing Effective eVidence-based Engagement and Learning for Organizational Performance (DEVELOP) project. The MEL Specialist supports performance monitoring, documentation of learning and reporting for DEVELOP.
The MEL Specialist provides performance management expertise and leads efforts to construct and strengthen DEVELOP’s theory of change. The MEL Specialist contributes to continuous improvement and adaptive management, and deepens DEVELOP’s approach to MEL. The MEL Specialist effectively supports (and sometimes leads) data collection and analysis, manages DEVELOP’s data management system and ensures data quality, facilitates project performance review sessions with staff and sub-contractors, and contributes to quarterly and annual reports.
This full-time role based in the Washington, DC metro area; however, the position can be remote within the US in states where EnCompass is currently registered. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide subject matter and technical expertise on all aspects of MEL and CLA (collaborating, learning, and adapting) efforts
- Lead the DEVELOP project MEL working group with integrated attention to MEL requirements
- Create and maintain a comprehensive, USAID-compliant project-wide MEL plan, and supports implementation of DEVELOP’s learning agenda
- Develop a robust performance indicator tracking system, data collection instruments and protocols, supervises data management and quality assurance, and analyzes and synthesizes data
- Prepare high quality reports and technical resources (may include publishing or presenting significant work)
- Design evidence use strategies and facilitate “learning from data” sessions across the project
- Build and maintain high quality feedback loops that facilitate collaborative implementation and adaptive management across all facets of DEVELOP’s work plan
- Interface/work with the designated USAID MEL POC(s) to advance lessons learned and best practices.
- Support the informed selection of performance indicators, targets, and related performance indicator reference sheets
- Deliver technical support for valid, reliable, and complete data reporting across DEVELOP’s workstreams and buy-in mechanisms
- Provide appropriate evidence and analyses of DEVELOP’s data sources and lessons learned to support strategic project communications and storytelling
- Serve as a technical expert/professional resource for project staff by supporting their awareness and use of tools and tips that help to build their performance monitoring and data use skills.
- Contribute to MEL best practices across EnCompass by participating in communities of practice and through engagement with professional networks/associations
- Engages fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events
- Supervise MEL/CLA consultants/STTA as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Master’s degree and five years of post-academic experience in international development or a related field. Academic training in a social science, data science, organizational/management studies and/or certification in evaluation methods a plus.
Experience and Skills
- Experience leading the development of meaningful theories of change and associated MEL and CLA strategies
- Experience leading the development of MEL technical designs and data collection tools, mixed methods data collection efforts, data analysis, and the preparation of high-quality reports
- Experience implementing USAID monitoring, evaluation, and learning initiatives strongly desired. Familiarity with USAID policy and guidance with respect to monitoring and evaluation a plus
- Strong qualitative and/or quantitative evaluation skills, with a demonstrated ability to synthesize complex data streams using appropriate analysis software
- Ability to think strategically and integrate diverse information from varied sources; adept at identifying and framing problems, setting priorities, and making recommendations
- Ability to bring a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion lens to all MEL designs, data collection and interventions, and bring a gender equality and social inclusion lens to all products
- Ability to work in an appreciative, strengths-based environment and to model that approach for clients, colleagues and stakeholder
- Excellent management, organization, communication (verbal and written) and problem-solving skills with the ability to prioritize assignments and meet required deadlines
- Ability to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations, collaborate on projects and communicate results
- Skilled in word processing (WORD) and presentation (PowerPoint) software plus Google Suite, database management (e.g., Access), spreadsheets (Excel), and data analysis tools (e.g., Tableau, e.g., NVIVO) and Web-based platforms (e.g., Power BI)
- Excellent written (report writing) and oral communication (presentation) skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels
How to apply
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the online application.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
For US based positions: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
If you require accommodations in line with the Americans with Disabilities Act to complete your application, please call 301-287-8700, provide your contact information and a description of your accessibility issue. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case-basis, and we will call you back within approximately 3 business days.
Closing date: 31-Oct-22