SOS Children's Villages International
Who we are
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia is an International Non-governmental organization and a member of SOS Children’s Villages International Federation. We started our humanitarian work in Ethiopia with the opening of our first Village in Mekelle, Northern part of Ethiopia in 1974. Since then, we have expanded our programs to different regions where there are significant needs for intervention and where we believe we can work in partnership with all relevant actors to bring sustainable positive outcomes for children’s and young people.
Today, we have grown significantly to meet the persistent challenges that confront Ethiopian children who have lost parental care and those that are at risk of losing their parental care. Working in close collaboration with international donors, local government and community based organizations across seven program locations; we aspire that every child grows up with love, respect and security.
Why we need you?
We are looking for a National Advocacy and Communication Manager who will be responsible for leading the organization’s effort to position itself as a child rights advocate while at the same time ensuring a consistent and effective flow of information both internally and externally that leads to increased and strengthened visibility, funding and partnership.
What we provide…
An amazing work environment that promotes personal growth through providing professional space to grow and advance your career!
While working with us as a National Advocacy and Communications Manager , you will be responsible for;
Leadership and management
- Providing strategic and technical leadership on the design and implementation of advocacy and communication strategies in line with national, regional and global priorities and programme directions
- Regularly monitoring, conducting analysis and advising the leadership team on trends, opportunities and challenges in child rights, protection and child safeguarding in the country
- Ensuring direct linkage and synergy between advocacy, communications and programmes
- Leading the mentoring, coaching and capacity building of employees in advocacy & communication by establishing clear goals and accountabilities
- Fostering team-spirited environment, results-oriented approach, effective coordination, integration and communications among staff and different functions while providing the leadership team the required technical support to facilitate change and innovation
- Collaboratively working with the M&E team to evaluate the impact of advocacy and communications strategies
- Leading the conceptualization, development and dissemination of policy analysis, policy and technical briefs, advocacy best practices
- Leading the design and execution of national advocacy and communications campaigns, high-level strategic events, and media engagements
- Leading the implementation of researches, assessments, policy reviews and regulatory framework analysis to inform advocacy and programmes
- Building strategic partnership with government offices, relevant organizations and key stakeholders to influence policy, decision making and regulatory frameworks
- Working closely with relevant government offices, CSOs and like-minded organizations to develop and submit reports to global and continental treaty monitoring bodies (UPR, ACERWC…)
- Keeping abreast of global child rights and protection policies and regulatory landscape for appropriate national planning and interventions
- Closely working with regional advocacy and programme development teams to advance global advocacy agendas, regional priorities and liaising with like-minded humanitarian agencies and child rights alliances
- Positioning SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia as a strong partner among potential and existing supporters based on SOS Children`s Villages roots, vision, mission and values.
- Drafting and alignment of the status quo of external communication of the public perception of the organization in the country and in alignment with the management strategy and the fundraising strategy, implementation and evaluation.
- Accompanying fundraising campaigns, support fundraising team with expertise for external communications and adaptation of content for all channels, online and offline.
- Identifying key media and key journalists and foster the relationship with them to proactively position the organization`s topics and massages in the national news agenda.
- Providing leadership in coordinating media involvement in the activities of SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia including press releases and coverage and airing of the Mas’s events in print and electronic media; especially those activities that require media coverage.
- Generating Corporate Social Responsibility Relationships that benefit SOS Ethiopia in line with its mission
- Liaising with and manage the relationship with external agencies i.e Public Relations and Advertising.
- Reviewing and approving contents shared on our social media accounts or website
- Planning and executing National events for the organization
- Providing guidance for the implementation of a communications strategy to promote the organization’s vision, mission to ensure visibility of the achievements and strengthen fundraising opportunities
- Developing external communication strategy in alignment with the overall MA management to position the SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia as leading social change organization in Alternative Child care
- Providing guidance in the development of high quality, well-researched, and well-written communications materials and ensure effective dissemination through various channels (web, print and audio-visual)
- Ensuring the organization has a coherent and consistent brand image in the country through the use of standardized brand execution materials aligned to the global branding guidelines and principles
- Ensuring there is a cordial and positive relationship with all key media houses and proactively facilitate media coverage of the organizations achievements, advocacy agendas, events and development programmes.
- Working with the ICT Manger in the management of SOS CVE web site including quarterly updating and re-designing as may be necessary to improve its appearance and quality content and keep track and document visitors to the site as well as undertake qualitative analyses of the website and its use and explore other online communications strategies;
- Working with relevant SOS CVE team and or co-workers to produce articles, features and news for publication in the print media and organization’s documentary;
- Maintaining an on-going brand integrity via consistent application of the brand guidelines.
- Developing an internal Communications strategy to increase staff knowledge and awareness of policies, decisions and events.
- Reviewing and producing SOS CVE’s publicity and marketing materials including but not limited to organizational information brochure, banners, calendars, diary, souvenirs, almanac, best practice magazines for better visibility of the organization;
- Establishing and managing online publications, social networking, and new communications initiatives for SOS CVE;
- In times of CRISIS; Organizing crisis communications in close cooperation with the Fund Development & Communications Head and the National Director
- Acting as an information hub to Regional and International Offices
- Closely cooperating with the Fund Development & Communications Manager, the National Director, Institutional Partnership development Advisor and the National Management team to pursue a consistent message about the organization and its mission and activities.
- Organizing constant orientation of staff on the brand
Child Protection and Child Safeguarding
- Develop specific and contextual country level guidance to ensure that children who participate in media or communications work are protected from exploitation, increased vulnerability, or any form of harm or indignity
- Support in creating awareness by developing informative contents time to time regarding child safeguarding and share to all co-workers in forms of Newsletters, blogs and other internal and external communications
- Support the National and Program Location CS Teams in Improving existing reporting and responding procedures
- Master’s Degree in in social sciences, humanities, development studies, law, public policy, child rights, international relations, communications or related field
- Minimum seven years of experience working in advocacy and communications in non-governmental organization with three years in leadership/ management working with governments, donors, and implementing partners in the areas of child rights policies and laws, protection, safeguarding in child-focused non-governmental organization
- Solid experience in advocacy work as well as in-depth understanding of policies, laws, regulations and regulatory structures in Ethiopia focusing on children
- Demonstrated experience in leading or coordinating campaigns for advocacy or communications
- Experience and understanding of the UN human rights system, and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child and how these operate
- Experience in creating/working with networks of influence, and an ability to manage diverse professional relationships, thereby securing significant new opportunities for the organization
Competencies, skills and abilities
- Strategic and analytical thinking**:** dealing with diverse demands and pressure from different sections of the organization to often tight deadlines
- Experience in navigating complex political and social dynamics regarding child rights policies and regulatory structures to achieve technical consensus
- Respond to ad hoc requests and requirements from any leadership team member or function/work unit
- Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Regional Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Strong communication in Amharic and English
How to apply
Excited to take on a new Challenge…….
Then send us your application here
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply
“Our selection process is a reflection of our engagement and dedication to acquire talents that promote a safe and enabling environment for children and young people”