African Network for the Prevention and Protection against Child Abuse and Neglect
ANPPCAN Somaliland is a child rights organization. It was founded in 2008 and has its headquarters in Hargeisa, Somaliland. ANPPCAN Somaliland is a development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls and boys. We strive for a just country, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners.
We endeavor to protect and promote all the inherent and indivisible rights of children whoever and wherever they are in Somaliland. We work every day to give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We enable the children, their families and their communities to meet their basic needs and to increase their ability to participate in and benefit from their societies.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Program Manager
Duty Station: Hargeisa-Somaliland
ANPPCAN Somaliland is implementing a multi-year nutrition program in 6 districts in Somaliland namely Berbera, Sheikh, Burao, Oodweine, Buuhoodle and Ainabo. The Nutrition Program Manager will manage the organization’s nutrition portfolio, contributing to knowledge management/innovation, and developing/planning nutrition programs/projects. Throughout the programming processes, the post holder provides credible technical guidance and management support to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results in nutrition program in accordance with program plans and allocations as well as ANPPCAN Somaliland’s Strategic Plans, performance standards, and accountability framework. The post holder is expected to manage the nutrition program in line with ANPPCAN Somaliland policies and procedures, and donor requirements. The post holder provides managerial support for nutrition programming in the targeted districts. The post holder will work closely with other sectors to ensure smooth implementation of the program activities. The post holder will be travelling to multiple locations. The post holder reports to the Director of Programs (DoP) for guidance and overall supervision.
- Provide leadership in designing, implementing and monitoring sound nutrition program activities in all targeted districts as per the agreed program documents and work plan;
- Coordinate and lead MIYCN, IMAM, MNP and ECD activities during planning, budget preparation, implementation, monitoring and timely reporting ensuring quality and standards through enhanced partnership with government and non-government partners based in the target districts;
- Ensure all program components are effectively planned, implemented, monitored/reviewed, evaluated and monthly, quarterly, annual and final progress reports are timely compiled in compliance with internal ANPPCAN Somaliland and donor requirements;
- Provide continuous technical and organizational support and capacity building to field teams including community nutrition workers;
- Ensure the Nutrition Field Coordinators are kept informed about program progress as required (daily, weekly plan and monthly achievements) and contribute to their individual accountability plans;
- Organize training for field staff of ANPPCAN Somaliland and partners to build core skills in MIYCN, IMAM, and MNP;
- Manage program implementation to ensure timely delivery of nutrition program activities;
- Provide line management support to the nutrition field coordinators based in the field;
- Oversee program budget and ensure program budget spending in line with the organizational protocols and donor regulations;
- Ensure all ANPPCAN Somaliland supported health facilities are equipped with all necessary tools, supplies, drugs and visibility materials (e.g., monitoring charts, recording and reporting tools, ECD kits, MUAC tapes, weighing scales, drugs, RUTF, counselling cards, referral guides, etc);
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct;
- Ensure integration and the links of the nutrition program with other relevant sectors;
- Oversee and manage program activities based on agreed standards and carryout in accordance with the agreed program cooperation agreement with the donor, work-plans and proposals;
- Organize and carry out capacity-building initiatives to enhance the competences of the program team, field coordinators, supervisors, and service providers in order to offer quality MIYCN, IMAM, MNP, and ECD services;
- Provide technical guidance and advice to key program staff on MIYCN, IMAM, MNP, and ECD best practices and approaches to support program planning, implementation, monitoring, and delivery of results;
- Participate in national and sub-national emergency preparedness and contingency planning initiatives to assist ANPPCAN Somaliland respond to emergencies rapidly and effectively.
- Actively participate in rapid assessments and provide input in designing of concept notes and project proposals in areas of nutrition prevention and treatment;
Management/Advisory Support to the Senior Management
- Provide advice to the senior management team in establishing the annual work plan including developing strategies and determining priorities/targets and performance measurements;
- Coordinate work progress monitoring and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards and report to DoP critical issues for timely action;
- Provide technical assistance/advice to nutrition program team on all aspects of programming and implementation to enable colleagues to achieve program performance objectives; and
- Perform the full duties of the DoP in her absence.
Program Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Establish a comprehensive program implementation plan, as well as a monitoring and evaluation system, with clear and quantifiable benchmarks and targets, in order to rigorously assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence, and the delivery of realistic and sustainable results;
- Participate in program monitoring, reviews and evaluations with UNICEF, MoHD, and other counterparts to assess progress and determine required actions/interventions to achieve results;
- Prepare regular programs performance reports to identify program gaps, strengths/weaknesses, identify lessons learned, and apply knowledge gained for planning and timely intervention to meet the program goals;
- Monitor programs on a regular basis through field visits to assess progress, identify bottlenecks, and make prompt decisions to resolve gaps/shortcomings;
- Plan, monitor, and control the optimum and appropriate use of program resources including supplies, ensuring compliance with organizational rules and procedures, and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity, and timely reporting and resource liquidation;
- Regularly prepare mandatory and key program/project reports to keep donors and other partners informed of program progress and results;
- Integrate MEAL responsibilities and activities into program plans and operations, outlining how MEAL will be implemented at each stage of the program cycle;
- Work with MEAL team to ensure that the required data is collected, reported, and utilized for decision-making;
- Ensure monthly, quarterly and annual reviews are done and work plan schedules checked according to the initial plan;
- Ensure adequate monitoring, reporting and acquittal of nutrition activities in accordance with donor regulations, international humanitarian accountability frameworks and relevant SPHERE standards; and
- Oversee and manage sex disaggregated beneficiary data in accordance to the standard reporting template and within their reporting schedule and submit to the DoP and MEAL Specialist.
Managing Relationship and Networking with Government, Partners and other Stakeholders
- Participate in coordination meeting held at national and sub-national levels and provide progresses regarding the program implementation;
- Establish and maintain constructive working relationships with the Government, NGO’s and UN agencies operating in the target districts, bilateral and multilateral donors, and other principal stakeholders including the community;
- Build strategic alliances with nutrition partners through active networking, advocacy, and effective communication to promote cooperation and partnerships in order to attain program goals.
- Prepare communication and information materials that showcase program goals, successes, and/or needs in order to increase public awareness and assist fundraising efforts for nutrition prevention, promotion and treatment programs.
- Pro-actively communicate and coordinate with other ANPPCAN Somaliland teams (program and support functions) to ensure safe, timely, effective and accountable achievement of program objectives and targets;
- Represent ANPPCAN Somaliland in meetings relevant to ANPPCAN Somaliland’s Nutrition work in all target districts, including meetings with partners, donors, government officials and cluster/sector coordination meetings;
- Ensure ANPPCAN Somaliland’s programming approach is known and correctly understood by all stakeholders at field level; and
- Pro-actively liaise and build good relationship with INGO, UN, local authority officials, community representatives, and other stakeholders contributing to shaping the overall nutrition status of the target districts.
Administration, Human Resources, Logistics and Supply:
- Plan program supply requirements and work with the logistics team to pre-position to districts and deliver to all target health facilities on time;
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and set objectives;
- Create the conditions to ensure effective teamwork and morale is strictly observed;
- Organize and lead a multi-disciplinary professional team working in the headquarters and the field locations;
- Ensure all team members clearly understand and carry out their duties in accordance with personal work-plans, humanitarian principles, core values, the Code of Conduct and SPHERE Standards;
- Ensure logistical resources demands are fully assessed, identified, described and communicated to all concerned staffs;
- Contribute to communications, program visibility and promotion work as required;
- Provide appropriate and timely feedback to nutrition program staff regarding their performance; and
· Ensure the nutrition stocks; monitor rates of consumption and ensure supplies are ordered in a timely manner;
Compliance, Ethics and PSEA and GEI:
- Actively promotes PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within ANPPCAN Somaliland and amongst beneficiaries served by ANPPCAN Somaliland;
- Ensures all staff and volunteers receive basic PSEA and complaint handling skills training;
· Complies with ANPPCAN Somaliland policies and practice with respect to child and adult safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures;
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout ANPPCAN Somaliland;
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of ANPPCAN Somaliland’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards;
- Promotes productive work environment respectful of the Code of Conduct with zero tolerance for verbal and physical abuse or discrimination against other persons on the grounds of race, color, sex or creed; and
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and ANPCAN Somaliland’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Ensures that all staff in the unit are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding ANPPCAN Somaliland’s safeguarding and Code of Conduct policies;
- Ensures that ANPPCAN Somaliland’s Adult and Child Safeguarding Policy and the Code of Conduct are fully embedded in day-to-day work; and
- Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
To qualify for the post, you must have…
- An advanced university degree (Masters) in nutrition, nutritional epidemiology, public health, international health and nutrition, health/nutrition research, or other health related science field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in public health/nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal, newborn and child nutrition in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in health/nutrition program/project development and management in NGO system is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Somali language is an asset.
- Experience in SUN movement and IYCN programming for at least 3 years is a big asset.
- Previous solid program and team management skills for at least 3 years are required given the size of the team on the ground.
- Significant management experience in nutrition programming
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience of training and capacity building staff;
- Good experience of representation and ability to represent ANPPCAN Somaliland effectively in external forums.
- Knowledge of institutional donors and experience of managing grants, particularly with the UN and other institutional donors.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and program reports;
- Excellent communication skills especially with external stakeholders such as local authorities;
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy;
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ANPPCAN Somaliland. In particular, a good understanding of the ANPPCAN Somaliland mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
ANPPCAN Somaliland campaigns and advocates to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard. We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that ANPPCAN Somaliland stand for. Our organization reflects the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, sex, marriage, race, or religion. We foster an organizational culture that embraces our commitment to children.
We believe that in a country where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we do everything we can to keep children safe. In the light of this, a range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with ANPPCAN Somaliland’s Adult and Child Safeguarding Policy. We will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our Adult and Child Safeguarding Policy and the Code of ConductBy submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your salary expectations to: [email protected] and copy to [email protected] using the Position as the subject of the email.
We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age or disability status. Due to the urgent need of the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis. ANPPCAN Somaliland never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report [email protected]*.*