Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 1,5 months
Location: Sindh province
ABOUT THE MISSION…
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL is a French humanitarian organization that provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 40 years, our organization has worked towards meeting the three basic needs
water, food and shelter – of vulnerable and crisis
affected populations and has been more specifically committed to fight against waterborne diseases, leading cause of death in the world. SI’s interventions are carried out based on its expertise in the field of access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential ones of food security and livelihoods.
SI has been present in Pakistan with prior interventions starting in 2005 and a scale
up of operations that was launched in the response to the 2010 floods in the Sindh province.
The objective was to support the flood affected population during the calamity through an improved access to WASH facilities and later on was expanded to provide longer
term improved access to WASH facilities in the province coupled with a disaster risk reduction set of activities.
After closing its mission due to lack of funding opportunities, SI has recently sent a member of the emergency desk to evaluate the impact of the 2022 floods and the potential added value for SI to re
launch activities in the country. Following this, SI is now launching a first phase of operations in Sindh in collaboration with and in addition to the actions carried out by the authorities and NGOs on the ground, SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL teams are preparing to deploy a rapid multisectoral response tailored as closely as possible to the needs of the targeted populations, which could include:
- Providing access to safe drinking water;
- Providing emergency latrines to limit open defecation and reduce related health risks;
- Distributing essential emergency goods to households whose homes have been destroyed, which could include tents, blankets, hygiene kits or basic household items.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL will assess the possibility of also supporting the population in the recovery of agriculture and livelihoods in order to limit the harmful effects of this crisis over time as well as on longer
term WASH activities. Thus, SI is aiming at relaunching activities and hoping to secure funding to support the affected population for a longer period.
Under the supervision of the field coordinator The WASH and Shelter activity manager is in charge of carrying out and accomplishing the objectives as defined in the operation proposals. He/she is responsible for the supervision of the operational teams assigned the WASH and Shelter activity. He/she must ensure that the WASH and Shelter activity are well executed and deliver quality results, where appropriate, proposes adjustments or developments to ensure relevance.
Diagnostics and project conception
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of diagnostics
- Participate in the design and the financial dimension of the human and logistical programs to implement
- Prepare the appendixes and technical chapters (of logical framework) of operation proposals
- Implement the activities in compliance with the annual operational strategy, SOLIDARITES International’s technical requirements and the donors criteria
- Participate in the development of the WASH & Shelter team’s capacity in regard to techniques or new methodologies
Implementation and operational follow-up
- Plan the WASH & SHELTER activity(ies) with the support department (Administration, logistics) according to the set objectives
- Assess the relevance of activities, the effectiveness of interventions, and their appropriateness in light of changing circumstances and the needs of populations
- Propose adjustments to programs if necessary
- Make sure the objectives for the activity(ies) under his/her responsibility are achieved
- Suggest and implement monitoring indicators for the WASH & SHELTER activity(ies) and context
- Use the SI management and monitoring tools for the activities, results and context
- Plan and supervise the implementation of the WASH & SHELTER activity(ies) under his/her responsibility
- Anticipate difficulties in the carrying out of the WASH & SHELTER activity(ies) and facilitate problem solving
- Suggest new …activity… activity directions in accordance with context and indicators
- In cooperation with the administrative department, help draw up budgets for his/her activity(ies), budget follow up and proposal budgets for the program parts
- Prepare Internal Order Forms (IOF) and follow orders using the logistics service
- Report the state of decentralized inventory to the logistics department (“field” inventory)
- Write the capitalization documents in accordance with SI tools
- Prepare handover reports before the end of his/her employment contract and forward them to concerned parties in the mission and at headquarters
- Ensure diffusion of SI technical documentation
Human Resource Management
- Recruit the national technical staff for his/her activity(ies)
- With the administrative department, define the prerequisites for the WASH & SHELTER vacant positions and, if necessary, adapt the referent job profile.
- Welcome and brief new employees or volunteers working under his responsibility
- Implement training activities in accordance with WASH & SHELTER operational requirements and the identified training needs.
- Serve as intermediary between team leaders
- Manage and support the team under his/her responsibility
- Conduct workshops and regular or ad hoc meetings
- Evaluate the performance of the members of his/her team(s)
- Identify team members’ potential for advancement and communicate this information to the program manager/desk HR Referent
- Make sure his/her team(s) follow the safety rules
Share with the appropriate authority any information on the security context and any event which may have consequences on SI activities and team safety
Write regular reports concerning the progress of the activity(ies) under his/her responsibility
Write reports and annexes concerning his/her activity(ies) for donor reports and/or amendment
Ensure compliance with reporting deadlines and guidelines
Communicate with team leaders concerning the progress and results of their activity(ies)
Maintain a local operational communication network and positive relations with the local/governmental authorities, donor representatives, UN and other international agencies in cooperation with the program manager and Program Coordinator
Represent Solidarités International in meetings or forums concerning the WASH & SHELTER activities within his employment location
Represent SI on request and/or delegation
Respond to the requirements of Headquarters concerning specific needs
Write the administrative documents to be signed (MOU, handover…) jointly with governmental authorities, communities or partners
- Educational background in a related field (water sanitation engineering, water resource/hydraulic management, environmental health, site management in emergency context…)
- Have proven professional experience and technical expertise of at least 3 years in the implementation of WASH/shelter activities in an emergency/recovery context within the community:
- Have experience in carrying out emergency Wash activities (latrines, showers, water-trucking, chlorination, analysis and monitoring of water quality, construction/rehabilitation of water points, hygiene promotion campaigns…);
- Have experience in carrying out emergency shelter activities such as emergency housing in transitional settlements, rebuilding infrastructures activities
- Experience in construction contracts management and administration
- Have at least 3 years of experience working in an INGO on emergency and immediate recovery programs
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Knowledge of the Sindh context is an asset.
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read) is mandatory. Knowledge of local language (Sindhi, Seraiki, Balochi, Urdu…)
- Proficiency in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, outlook, etc.).
- Ability to coordinate and manage a team with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and support multiple projects
- Ability to build/maintain good relationships with stakeholders, local authorities, communities, and contractors
SI WILL OFFER YOU
Fixed-term contract for a period of 1.5 months which might be renewable according to performance and availability of funding for further projects.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.Solidarités.org/en/
How to apply
Closing date: 28 Jan 2023