UN High Commissioner for Refugees
1. General Background
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR’s Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible
for mobilizing resources for refugees from the private sector. UNHCR has a fundraising strategy in place for 2018-2025. This strategy focuses on both Individual Giving (IG) and Private Sector Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
Individual Giving (IG) is targeted at the general public to secure the support of individuals through regular, unrestricted donations, cash appeals and legacies. The aim is to generate both monthly and one-time donations from individuals using various channels and methods including direct mail, face-toface
fundraising, telemarketing, digital fundraising, DRTV and emergency fundraising, with focus on strong donor loyalty and lifetime value.
The Private Partnership and Philanthropy (PPH) section of PSP develops and strengthens long-term partnerships with companies, foundations, and high-net worth individuals. This includes leveraging the capacities of this segment to build long lasting partnerships that goes beyond resources but expands to
advocacy, communications, marketing, and public engagement.
Staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
PSP Asia is looking to recruit an experienced Fundraising/Business Analyst to support database-driven analysis & reporting, segmentation, prospecting to further marketing activities and income generation in the Asia region. We’re looking for someone passionate about drawing business insight, informing
decision-making and providing responsive program development and impactful reporting to support the successful delivery of UNHCR private sector Partnerships strategy in the Asia region.
The Private Sector Regional Analyst is the lead focal point at PSP Asia for marketing and fundraising analysis & reporting related to Individual Giving and Private Partnerships and Philanthropy. The postholder will contribute to the strategic goals of PSP in the region through the strategic planning,
development and delivery of analysis and reporting strategies, assets, tools, resources, and guidance for the enhancement of local capacity in related areas. This expertise and support will enable private sector fundraisers in Asian markets to strengthen the delivery of the IG and PPH programs, and inform
the implementation and further development of PSP’s long term strategy in the region.
The incumbent reports to the Chief of PSP Asia and works in close collaboration with income and database analysis streams within the IG section and PPH section, also liaising frequently with internal and external stakeholders. S/he will coordinate closely with fundraising and database subject-matter experts at a regional and global level including PSP teams and National partners in Asia, the global Strategy and Analysis team, and regional analysts in other regions.
Occasional international travel is required for this position.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
a. Business analysis
• Collaborate with Fundraising Specialists at a Global, Regional and a National level to ensure stronger analysis of the various fundraising programs, and better annual and long-term plans leading to improved Return on Investment of PSP strategies;
• Define minimum viable analytics and reporting frameworks depending on maturity levels of each market in Asia and in line with PSP Global Data Strategy.
• Support the development of comprehensive Analysis & Reporting solutions in conjunction with the implementation of Salesforce in multiple Asia markets, and build local capacity to use them;
• Recommend forecasting methods and data models, scenario planning, resource modelling, capability forward load, and other similar “what if” type analysis;
• Support PSP planning and quarterly reporting exercises and best allocation of resources, quality assurance and technical advice on Theories of Change and indicators;
• Coordinate across PSP Asia markets and maximize the use and impact of internal/externalbenchmarking projects including the LTV project, and iNGO benchmarking projects;
• Participate in market reviews, market entry and other strategy and analysis projects encompassing IG and PPH market research, prospect and donor research, as required;
• Provide training and support to PSP colleagues on Fundraising analysis and reporting, and support capacity building as per market needs;
• Organize and foster the exchange of best practices across markets in Asia.
b. Data strategy
• Manage the implementation of the PSP Data Strategy across markets in Asia and support the development of local data and analysis strategies;
• Monitor, assess, and validate consistency and quality of data within the donor databases to ensure suitability to generate consistent country and regional analysis, metrics and results;
• Improve data quality through field support, capacity building, monitoring and feedback. Perform data profiling to identify and understand anomalies. Communicate the status, value, and importance of data and information;
• In collaboration with Global and other regional analysts, shape the way markets engage with data, in line with our aim to create a single supporter view and donor-centric experience;
• Ensure that documentation is created/updated upon changes in the configuration of the local database, new reports set-up and integration with third parties;
• Ensure data is collected and maintained in compliance with UNHCR and local regulations.
• A comprehensive suite of Fundraising Performance Reports and Dashboards is created and gradually enhanced, as necessary.
• Regional and local PSP teams engage with and act on the business insights to inform strategic planning and support operational fundraising l decisions
- Qualifications and Experience
Degree in Economics/Business Administration or relevant discipline with a substantial quantitative analytical component (e.g. statistics, economics, management science/operations research, finance or data analytics, social research methods).
b. Work Experience
Minimum 5 years of relevant (international) job experience with graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s), 6 years with undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) working in Fundraising, Sales & Marketing analysis, Data Science, Strategic Planning, or other relevant Sales & marketing strategy fields.
c. Key Competencies
• Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) with strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective working relationships with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
• Proven track record in developing and implementing Business analysis & reporting strategies.
• Experience in implementation Business intelligence environments drawing its source from database, CRM systems, and data warehouse involving complex data and propensity modelling.
• Demonstrated ability to create and manage insightful yet user-friendly data and evidence-based BI reporting, benchmarking and performance evaluations based on KPIs such as return on investment, retention and life-time value.
• Extensive knowledge of reporting & data visualization tools such as PowerBI.
• Strong project management skills including planning and schedule creation.
• Experience of working with multiple stakeholders across functional and national boundaries. Experience and understanding of the Data Protection and related legislations.
• Languages: Proficiency in English is required.
• Strong understanding of fundraising markets in the Asia region.
• Experience with Salesforce NPSP (nonprofit cloud) Sales Cloud and Service Cloud.
• Experience with SQL, including but not limited to extracting and manipulating data, stored procedures, views, query optimization.
• Experience with R or Python in the area of predictive modelling.
• Knowledge of Digital marketing analytics tools including Google 360, Google Analytics.
• Grounded knowledge of the UN’s refugee and related human rights frameworks, conventions and treaties.
• Knowledge of UNHCR operations, mandate and global affairs.
• Desirable Proficiency in another relevant UN language and/or work level proficiency in an Asian language.
Standard Job Description
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
How to apply
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Closing date of receipt of applications: 31 March 2023 (midnight Geneva time)
Deadline: 31 Mar 2023