US Institute of Peace
Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace worldwide. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts worldwide. Together we tackle the most challenging problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Program Assistant (PA) position provides overall support to the Southeast Asia and Pacific Islands Programs (Programs) to help accomplish the mission of the Institute. Provides day-to-day programmatic and administrative support, to both the Program’s headquarters and field office team. The PA maintains program records, develops, and updates informational material, provides contract management support, organizes public events, helps conduct research, and undertakes other tasks as assigned. The position is based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Senior Expert for Southeast Asia.
TARGET SALARY RANGE
Grade 7 – $50,000 – $52,000
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Offers are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity, and the amount budgeted for the position.
Meetings and Events:
* Coordinates all logistical arrangements for program meetings and events at USIP headquarters, including reserving rooms, drafting, and formatting event text, sending out invitations and monitoring RSVPs, ordering food and supplies, arranging room set-up, and serving as the main point-of-contact for attendees. For online events, coordinates Zoom or other teleconferencing means with the USIP AV team.
* Assists with travel arrangements and coordination with participants and partner organizations for conferences and meetings overseas.
* Drafts event announcement text, agendas, panelist bios, etc. and develops promotional and informative descriptions of events for internal USIP staff members and external audiences.
* Liaises with panelists and/or co-sponsoring organizations.
* Creates web content for events on USIP website and Exact Target.
* Serves on USIP-wide events assistance roster.
* Develops, edits, and updates program informational materials for internal USIP staff members and external audiences (e.g., country fact sheets, project pages, web content, internal presentations, talking points for briefings, etc.).
* Maintains program databases, files, and Salesforce contacts.
* Helps maintain clear communication between DC and regional field staff teams, through regular email contact, meetings via Zoom and other secure communication platforms.
* Helps review and edit IAA quarterly narrative reports, as needed.
* Supports the Senior Expert, Southeast Asia with program strategy development.
* Supports team members regarding USIP’s programmatic and compliance procedures and standards.
Budget and Contract Management Support:
* Assists program staff with budget and contract management tracking and support, including requisitions, invoice and expense processing, cash requests, and payment monitoring of contract services.
* Serves as primary liaison between field-based staff and DC-based grants and contracts staff on contracting issues.
* Assists when needed for external contractors or vendors on contractual and logistical issues.
* Helps coordinate payments and contract requests with the field-based staff.
Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor’s degree in international relations, public policy, business, or related fields required.
* One (1) or more years of related business or administrative experience, and familiarity with general personnel practices, admin/finance procedures, and coordination of major office activities required.
* Excellent writing skills.
* Interest in and awareness of basic political, social, and cultural dynamics of Myanmar.
* Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Word, MS Outlook, and MS Excel. Previous experience with Salesforce and strong computer skills in database usage is preferred.
* Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
* Experience organizing conferences and meetings and making domestic and international travel arrangements.
* Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships and strong interpersonal skills, including cross-cultural communication.
* Indonesian and Filipino language skills preferred.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
1. Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire, and salary requirements.
2. Cover letter
For questions about this position please email [email protected] Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: