World Food Programme
Are you passionate about working in social protection, capacity strengthening, emergency preparedness and response or another related area?
Would you like to change and save lives with the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide? If yes, this opportunity is for you!
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP established the Caribbean Multi-Country Office in Barbados to provide technical assistance and capacity-strengthening programming across 22 countries and territories in the English and Dutch-speaking Caribbean. Across the Caribbean, WFP is applying its global expertise to a programme of cross-functional activities designed to improve regional and national preparedness and strengthen systems to deliver rapid and appropriate assistance to people impacted by shocks and disasters. The regional programme of work includes technical assistance on social protection (e.g. data analysis/collection, digitalization, payments), vulnerability and risk analysis, integrated supply chain management, food security/food systems and disaster risk financing. The office also responds to emergencies in support of governments and CDEMA as needed, including previous responses in the Bahamas (2019) and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (2021), which both included cash-based transfer responses.
This role will provide specialized technical support for efficient development and implementation of monitoring, reporting and evaluation aligned to WFP corporate standards and generate evidence on the results of activities, to inform policy, strategy and programme design and implementation. This includes coordinating monitoring activities and supporting the management of decentralized evaluations, supporting thematic reviews and supporting the Programme Unit in positioning WFP as a reliable partner for governments to build monitoring and evaluation strategies. Through WFP’s programme data management tools, the role will track the progress of WFP’s technical assistance and partnerships with governments on social protection, food security, disaster risk financing and vulnerability analysis. It will include reporting on persons reached and activities accomplished, as part of corporate frameworks.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes within the specific area of work supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Provide specialized project management support to specific and/or defined programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. food assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes, food security and vulnerability assessments) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate food security analyses and to ensure efficient delivery of food assistance.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within the specific technical area.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems within a specific technical area of responsibility.
- Oversee and/or review the work of other support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
- Experience: Six years of experience in the related field. Technical expertise in one or more of the following areas is an asset for this role: social protection, capacity strengthening, emergency preparedness and response, and project management.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in the English language.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked with technical teams (i.e. nutrition, VAM, etc.).
- Has contributed to implementation of programmes.
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
Leads by Example with Integrity
- Upholds WFP values, principles, and standards. – Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards
- Respects others and values diversity. – Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language, and encourages others to do the same.
- Stays focused and calm under pressure. – Stays focused and calm when under pressure and encourages others to do the same.
- Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn. – Shows humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, frequently seeking and acting on feedback, and taking up opportunities to develop.
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
- Delivers results for maximum impact. – Holds self and/or others accountable for the delivery of results.
- Delegates appropriately. – Delivers results against delegated tasks and seeks guidance and support where needed.
- Adapts readily to change. – Responds readily to change adjusting work as needed.
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative
- Is inclusive and collaborative. – Promotes inclusive teamwork and psychological safety by sharing ideas and openly raising issues.
- Gives timely and constructive feedback. – Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback.
- Builds and shares new perspectives. – Listens attentively to others to capture, learn, build and share new perspectives.
Applies Strategic Thinking
- Communicates and fulfils. – WFP’s vision Fulfils WFP’s vision and is able to explain how their objectives support the vision.
- Embraces curiosity and new ways of doing things. – Demonstrates curiosity, and proposes new ways of doing things when relevant.
- Analyses and evaluates data. – Gathers data and shares knowledge to inform team decision making.
- Considers the impact of decisions. – Implements decisions and asks questions to understand the impact for wider objectives.
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
- Builds partnerships Builds. – partnerships by seeking out opportunities to work with others.
- Collaborates to deliver common objectives. – Collaborates with partners by sharing information and working together to deliver common goals.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Who Can Apply?
This position is open to nationals of Barbados and CARICOM member states and associate members. CARICOM Nationals applying for National position outside of their home country bear sole responsibility for required actions or expenses related to relocation, accommodation, repatriation and any other living expenses, etc. A CARICOM Skilled National Certificate is a pre-requisite of employment for successful candidates who are not from the country for which the position is advertised.
- Type of position: Short Term – Full Time
- Type of Contact: Service Contract Level 6 (SC-6)
- Duration on Contract: 12 months with the possibility of extension, based on organizational requirements.
- Duty Station: Bridgetown, Barbados.
- Remuneration: The salary for this role starts at BBD 5,145.64.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application should be submitted by March 28, 2023, 23:59 Eastern Daylight Time. Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered and only short-listed qualified candidates will receive an acknowledgment.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings.If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attach your CV, answer the pre-screening questions and agree on the legal statement before submitting your application. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process that includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
Deadline: 28 Mar 2023