INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Juba with frequent field visits (Jonglei, Unity, Upper Nile, and Greater Equatoria States)
Starting date: 15/12/2022
Contract duration: 12 months (4 months probation)
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Project Managers
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
Since gaining independence from Sudan on July 9, 2011, South Sudan has confronted a number of humanitarian challenges, including population movements and returnee integration. In the two and a half years since people of South Sudanese origin began returning from Sudan on a large scale directly before and after independence, vulnerable communities in South Sudan have struggled to accommodate more than 700,000 new arrivals, many of whom are rebuilding lives and livelihoods with few resources from which to draw. Inter-communal violence and general insecurity also persist in several parts of the country, particularly in Jonglei State, where fighting has led to significant displacement and deteriorating humanitarian conditions. Confronting deteriorating economic conditions, populations are less able to cope with shocks and increasingly rely on the humanitarian community for basic food and non-food assistance. However, insecurity, bureaucratic harassment of relief organizations, logistical challenges, and Government of the Republic of South Sudan imposed restrictions constraining humanitarian activities across the country, hindering the delivery of critical assistance to populations in need. The Country has then seen a prolonged period of instability resulting from a failed then stalled peace process signed in 2018 and reviatilized in 2020.
General purpose of the position
• Play a key role in the development and definition of the Country Strategy of the mission under the supervision and coordination of the HoM
• Under the supervision of the HoM, lead the development of new concept notes and project proposals (design of the project rationale, logframe, narrative and budget in cooperation with finance department) in collaboration with technical referents and Deputy Regional Director
• Supervise, coordinate and provide quality support to INTERSOS Project Managers in the country • Ensuring a quality implementation of INTERSOS country programme in coordination with INTERSOS Technical Referents and Deputy Regional Director
• Coordinate and supervise the timely and quality submission of reports to donors with the support of the Deputy Regional Director
Main responsibilities and tasks
Project implementation, reporting and quality control
• Supervise and keep up to date workplans and related financial plans of projects with the contribution of Project Managers and relevant team member, ensuring timely and quality implementation
• Guarantee the application of INTERSOS procedures and donor’s rules for reporting and implementation, in collaboration with the HoM and Deputy Regional director
• With the support of Country Finance Coordinator, supervise the management of budgets in line with donor and INTERSOS guidelines, supporting budget and program revisions when needed
• Provide a support and supervision to the Project Managers through regular field visits, meeting with the staff and the line managers, supervise the planning of the activities and programmes
• Support the Head of Mission in the set up and supervision of the projects’ MEAL plans
• In coordination with HoM and Deputy Regional Director, ensure all reports are properly drafted and submitted on time to donors Human Resources
• Supervise the Project Managers, strengthening their capacities and ensuring a regular evaluation through the Internal Review Process (IRP) tools
• In line with the INTERSOS Policies and in collaboration with HR department, support the HoM in recruit, train, supervise and evaluation of the PM, including identification of capacity building gaps and implementation of related training sessions
• Together with the HoM, ensure that PMs respect INTERSOS rules and regulations and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics Strategy Development and Fundraising
• Support the Head of Mission in the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and program, providing updated information, inputs and recommendation for new and on going interventions in the country.
• In cooperation with the HoM, national staff and HQ departments, contribute to the design of a Country Strategy for the xxx mission, in line with INTERSOS Global Strategy
• Lead the design and drafting of potential funding opportunities and the new project proposals in coordination with Technical referents and the Deputy Regional Director. Monitor, Evaluation and Supervision
• Provide guidance and support to Project Managers on the work planning, budgets, and spending
• Under the supervision of the HoM and with support and Deputy Regional Director, monitor the level of progress achieved by each project
• Support Project Managers in planning and monitoring the implementation of activities and achievement of results
• Provide supervision and feedback on the monthly Project Appraisal Tool (PAT), both at a technical and financial level
• Ensure high-quality donor reporting standards through the revision of reports prepared by the PMs.
• Guarantee regular update of projects IMP sections Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
• In coordination with the HoM, establish and maintain collaborative relations with donors, project stakeholders and other organisations working in the project areas
• Together with the HoM and INTERSOS Technical referents, participate in meetings with relevant donor’s program and finance officers at central or field level.
• Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national and subnational level Other objectives and duties:
• Upon request of the Head of Mission and based on needs of the mission for the effective implementation and quality of the strategy and programmes
Required profile and experience
- University degree at Masters level of relevant sectors and fields or demonstrated programme management experience
- Experience (3 years) working in a complex context is required
- Knowledge of proposal development is essential
- Intersectoral experience or similar positions are an asset
- Experience managing integrated projects is an asset
- Knowledge of the different sectors of intervention is a must
- Strong knowledge of institutional donor’s procedures
- Highly able to keep confidentiality
- Able to work independently
- Risk management knowledge is an asset
- Organization skills, delegation, and empowerment approach of the supervised team
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and spoken English are essential
- Willingness to live in the field on temporary bases and to accept basic living standards and movement restrictions
- Willingness to adapt and productively work in insecure, volatile, or harsh environments
- Flexibility, stress tolerance
- Problem solving attitude
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/62977ee626bc34001ef3c7ff
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-41-2585-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Closing date: 9/27/2022