World Food Programme
ABOUT THE WFP
Qualified women and people living with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, disability.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
This position is located in the Country Office of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The incumbent will work with the support and guidance of the Deputy Director of the Country Office, receiving regular advice and guidance on the work performed. The incumbent of this position will be involved in program activities or activities of a similar nature and in analytical work of limited complexity.
JOB PURPOSE: To provide support to policy and program activities that effectively address food assistance needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
- Manage and direct WFP field operations in the area of assignment to ensure the rapid and effective deployment of food assistance programs.
- Assume responsibility for the deployment of CO initiatives, policies and strategies.
- Effectively manage the Sub-Office to ensure transparent and efficient personnel management and the continuous development of a consistent and high-performing team.
- Ensure efficient use of financial resources to achieve the objectives set.
- Assume responsibility for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and property at the field office to ensure that WFP safety and security standards are defined and adhered to locally. Participate in and actively contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
- Collaborate with governments and other partners to identify areas where food aid can be meaningfully deployed at the local level and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of food assistance programmes, including advice on context-specific transfer modalities (food, cash or vouchers).
- Develop and coordinate data collection and monitoring systems and carry out monitoring and evaluation activities in a timely manner.
- Ensure accountability and/or prepare accurate and comprehensive analyses and reports on WFP operations and performance, submitting them regularly and in a timely manner to a review of area/country offices to identify programme support needs and inform planning and operational decisions.
- Forge and maintain external partnerships to improve assistance programmes and support complementary strategies; identify potential areas for collaborative approaches and initiatives.
- Develop and maintain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, donors, civil society, beneficiaries, and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
- Collaborate with beneficiaries, inspect storage and reception points for WFP products, to ensure compliance with WFP policies and advance the achievement of project objectives.
- Ensure that Gender and Protection aspects are included in the project cycle.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED :
Advanced university degree in economics, international development, social sciences or other related field, or first university degree with additional years of work experience and/or related training/courses.
Developed or supported the development of multidisciplinary work plans to support the achievement of WFP’s strategic objectives in a defined area;
Has experience in field operations, preferably in a difficult duty station or emergency situation;
Has field experience through field rotations or working in a sub-office, and through field assignments;
Experience gained in the analysis of political situations, the accurate assessment of risks and managers and leaders in decision-making that is sensitive to them;
Greater visibility in the areas of a function (i.e., Policy, program, etc.)
Has experience in managing medium-sized financial budgets, effectively balancing multiple priorities;
Has experience leading a medium to large team to ensure the effective achievement of objectives;
Participated in a supplier/government/partner negotiation in support of a general function or country office requirements;
Participated in a moderately complex emergency operation/development program.
Knowledge & Skills:
Subject matter expert; Quick understanding of business and operational needs; excellent communication skills; analytical and problem-solving skills; team builder; proactive nature.
Master’s degree (level C) of the French language. Knowledge intermediate (level B) of a second official language of the United Nations: English, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish and/or WFP working language, Portuguese.
How to apply
If you are interested by the position please click here to apply :
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 16/10/2022
VA Ref No. : 174421
Kindly note the only documents to be submitted at this time are your CV and Cover Letter. Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time.
Candidates who experience problems accessing WFP E-recruitment platform and need assistance in applying, please contact [email protected] mentioning the VA number in the subject line.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.