Organization – Adeso : adesoafrica.org
Position Title – Project Assistant
Reporting To – Program Manager
Working With – Adeso’s Somalia Team
Programme / Duty Station – Garowe District, Nugaal Region, Puntland State, Somalia
Duration – 12 Months
Starting Date – Immediately
Adeso is a vibrant African-based development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities that are on the path toward realizing their full potential by working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy. For the past 30 years, we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer, and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia. In addition, Adeso has proven itself to be one of
the foremost leaders in the ongoing global effort to decolonize the humanitarian and
development aid system. Adeso currently leads coalitions to re-imagine aid to shift power,
resources, and decision making toward Global South communities where they will ultimately be the most effective, enduring and transformative. Adeso is a great place to work that is currently experiencing managed rapid growth. We have great benefits, a great team, and we pride ourselves on our opportunities for personal growth and development.
Reporting to the Program Manager in Garowe, the Project Assistant will be an integral part of the team in Somalia. The Project Assistant must be a team player, a solid writer, and ready to work with a lean and nimble team to do great things. The Project Assistant will be responsible for helping link communications with our offices in Somalia, our Headquarters team and our Global team as our programs in Somalia resonate more with our global systems change work. The Project Assistant will also need to have a deep understanding of our programs to be able to help in report writing, authentically tell our story and the stories of our community participants, and give feedback to the team for future projects.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In liaison with the Program Manager and Program Team, plan the project activities.
- Work with the Program Manager, Program Coordinator and Senior M&E Officer on project data collection and report writing.
- With an authentic storytelling lens, collect stories of change, case studies on project impacts, photo stories and more to share with Program Manager and Communications team for external use.
- Help Team develop and implement a successful fundraising strategy, that includes developing proposals and launching various social enterprises.
- Regularly update and ensure the project activities in each location are completed within the planned timeframe.
- Notify the Program Manager any challenges in the course of the project implementation.
- Support Adeso technical program teams on the use of any communication or visibility materials.
- Using Adeso standard templates, compile mission, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly reports and contribute the project quarterly reports and activities updates
- Ability and willingness to travel to project areas within short notice.
- Any other duties as directed by the ProgramManager
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least Diploma in community development or other related field;
- One (1) year of relevant NGO experience is ideal;
- Previous communications experience is ideal;
- Ability to work independently and under pressure;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish working relations with target communities and project team
- Strong candidates from the Somali diaspora, who speak both fluent English and Somali and understand the region dynamics are preferred.
How to apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you
would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected] quoting the position in the email subject matter no later than the 2nd of October 2022.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Department and include the following:
- Cover letter with applicant’s current contact information;
- CV including detailed work experience, education/degrees, and three professional references with complete contact information.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-
listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.