Position: Project Coordinator Country of posting: Democratic Republic of Congo Duration of Mission: minimum 3 months with possible extension
MAGNA is a non-profit independent medical humanitarian organization. We provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. Our teams are made up of health professionals, logistic and administrative staff.
We recruit medical and non-medical personnel, collects private and institutional funds and raises awareness among the public about populations in danger. Using a small but highly committed group of staff and volunteers, we have achieved respectable results. We treat patients suffering from a wide array of illnesses and health needs (child health, malnutrition, sexual violence, women health, mental health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, cholera and other diseases).
Currently we have open missions in South Sudan, DR Congo, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Afghanistan, Ukraine and Cambodia. Since beginning we have worked in over 15 countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and America.
In DR Congo, MAGNA has opened mission in 2009 and currently we are working in Yumbi, Kasai, Equator and Kinshasa provinces providing access to medical care for population in crisis, through static healthcare centres, mobile health and outreach interventions.
In close collaboration with the Mission Coordination Team defining the operational strategy for the project. Being responsible for MAGNA operational response in the project and coordinating MAGNA programme execution and identifying the population’s health needs and the humanitarian issues at stake. Ensuring compliance to MAGNA ethical standards and policies in order to realize organizational objectives and improve the target population’s health conditions and humanitarian situation.
Tasks and responsibilities
- In close collaboration with the Head of Mission, representing MAGNA and defending its interests before local authorities, local NGO’s, donors and media to realize an active positioning and a positive public image. Raising awareness in the target population about the existence of MAGNA programs.
- Monitoring and analyzing the political and humanitarian situation in the project area in order to identify the population’s health status and needs. Establishing and maintaining contacts with key stakeholders and carrying out exploratory missions in order to identify potential fields of intervention. Leading negotiations for access and defining risks and constraints in order to make project proposals, set project targets and to calculate material, human and financial resources needed. Bearing witness, documenting and raising awareness for the target populations needs/distress.
- Being accountable and supervising the execution of programs, including emergency response activities. Ensuring that the MAGNA technical and ethical standards are followed and objectives are achieved.
- Being responsible for the proper application of HR policies and associated processes in the project (recruitment, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, staff learning and development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing of the team and the amount of knowledge required for the project activities. Briefing the teams on context related issues. Ensuring the associative character of MAGNA is reflected in the briefing of all MAGNA staff, maximizing their commitment to MAGNA values and project’s goals
- Ensuring data collection and epidemiological surveillance system, in agreement with the Medical Coordinator/ or Medical Referent, in order to define effective medical programs for the targeted population.
- Evaluating program performance and providing all the required reports to Head of Mission (HoM) on project planning, project monitoring and project evaluation in line with Mission reporting cycle
- Being accountable for the proper planning, sizing, and coordination of all financial and material resources needed in the project. Agreeing on the annual budget and ensuring a proper control of financial indicators and the project budget.
- Supervising the project material resources put at MAGNA disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity. Supervising all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the capital referents, in order to ensure efficiency and early detect deviations and its causes.
Required knowledge and skills
- University degree or paramedical diploma desirable
- Essential working experience of at least three years in relevant similar jobs in other NGO’s, or previous field experience with MAGNA in different contexts.
- Essential working experience in developing countries
Knowledge and skills
- French, English essential
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
Required Personal Characteristics
- Good stress management
- Resistance to pressure
- Analytical capability
- Organized and methodical
- Strong sense of responsibilities
- Strong listening and empathy skills
- Ability to adapt, manage priorities and be pragmatic
- Diplomatic and with a sense of negotiation
- Good communication skills
- Honesty and rigor
Compensation Your monthly (untaxed) salary will reflect your post’s seniority & your cumulative weighted work experience.
Starting from 2.605 to 2.927 Euros
MAGNA field salaries are calculated in EUR and are not negotiable as they are part of a harmonized agreement across the MAGNA network.
Benefits PER DIEM: paid in local currency in the field (900 USD/month) TRANSPORTATION: Round-trip transportation to and from home / mission, visas… INSURANCE: including medical coverage, 24/7 assistance and repatriation ACCOMODATION: Guest House or similar accommodation covered by the organization BREAK POLICY: 5 working days at 3, 6 and 9 months PAID LEAVE POLICY: 25 days of paid leave per year
How to apply
Interested applicants can send only their CV including education, qualifications, contact number and relevant documents: by email, to address
The email subject line MUST include in the title of email the following to be considered: “PC DR CONGO”. E-mails without job title will not be reviewed.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that you provide appropriate contact information (e-mail, mobile, etc.) and 3 professional references.