ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is seeking a Project Director for the following project:
Support for Ukrainian Media Survival (SUMS) is a 36-month project that will help to ensure the survival of key independent Ukrainian media in the mid-term. The overall objective is that Ukrainian citizens should have the reliable information they need to play an active role in the reconstruction and modernization of their communities. This overall objective will be achieved through the following specific objectives:
- Ensure the financial survival and mid-term sustainability of national, local and hyperlocal media;
- Build local media capacity in gender sensitive reporting and core journalism skills;
- Provide psychosocial support for journalists suffering from trauma and burnout.
The Project Director will be in charge of the overall project delivery, communication, reporting, management of activities, coordination of local partners and mentors, serving as a primary point of contact for the donor, and assuming overall responsibility for the project and donor reporting.
Internews Europe has offices in London and Paris which support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office or partially remote. This is remote-based position, and our ideal candidate is based in Ukraine, Lithuania, or elsewhere in Europe.
All remote candidates will be considered. However, you must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
This position has an anticipated closing date of 30 September 2022. The preference is to fill this position as an internal hire within Internews.
This is a limited duration position, with an expected term of three years (36 months).
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership;
- Oversee organization and implementation of all project activities, as well as project monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure project impact;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local and regional partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Write and edit project reports, communications materials, and other project documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for regional and in-country donor missions and stakeholders;
- Establish seamless coordination of all project activities with other Internews work in Ukraine; maintain ongoing communication with Internews staff working on Ukraine projects to ensure synergies, cost-effectiveness, and impact amplification;
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in Ukraine, and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media and content producers;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all donor rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated;
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values; and
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Native-level Ukrainian; fluent written and spoken English
- Four or more years professional experience in program management, including experience working in Ukraine
- Solid understanding of media development and/or other civil society development issues in Ukraine
- Experience supporting donor-funded projects
- Experience contributing to proposals for donors
- Experience monitoring and evaluating project results through project-level indicators and targets
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and/or confidential information with discretion
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Superior analytical and writing skills and experience conducting desk research
- Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office programs
- Ability to travel internationally
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience supporting European donor-funded projects
- Experience contributing to proposals for European donors
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Europe. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page. The selected candidate may be hired via a professional employment organization (PEO) depending upon their location, in which case the PEO’s benefits would apply.
How to apply
Closing date: 30-Sep-22