INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager AICS
Duty station: Duty station split between Ninewa (Telafar), Salah Al Din and Sulaymaniya governorates (85%) and Erbil (15%)
Starting date: 15/12/2022
Contract duration: 15 months
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: Line management of project field staff, as well as close coordination with Program Managers, Protection Managers, Technical Coordinators and others
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS has been present in Iraq since 2003 and currently operates across Ninewa, Salah Al Din (SAD), Erbil, and Sulaymaniyah Governorates. Its largest operational field presence is in Ninewa, especially West Ninewa where it is implementing projects in a number of districts. INTERSOS thematic sectors of intervention are Protection, Education and Health. The INTERSOS coordination office is in Erbil with bases located in Mosul & Telafar in Ninewa, as well as in Tikrit and Sulaymaniyah and programming presence in other areas of Ninewa, SAD and the Kurdistan region. As of mid-2022, INTERSOS Iraq has 300 national staff, 18 expat staff and 200 volunteers.By applying an integrated programmatic approach, INTERSOS provides vital services and supports durable solutions for women, men, girls and boys in IDP, refugee and host communities in its areas of intervention.
In the Protection sector, INTERSOS is one of the main actors in Iraq, providing a comprehensive package of protection services spanning both in-camp and out-of-camp locations. The services include protection monitoring (flagging urgent protection concerns and trends to UNHCR and the protection cluster, including beneficiary profiling and direct referral to specialized services), MHPSS, case management (for GBV, Child Protection and PwSN), and legal assistance, counselling and court representation. Current health programming includes supporting the provision of free and integrated primary health care (PHC) and implementing a pilot project to strengthen non-communicable disease diagnosis and treatment in primary health clinics, and facilitating outreach health services through community health volunteers (CHVs). In Education, INTERSOS supports access to formal and non-formal education for refugees and Iraqi IDPs, as well as returnees, in camp and non-camp settings.
General purpose of the position
Managing the implementation of an AICS-funded Education & Child Protection project in three governorates of Iraq, the Project Manager will be in charge of the overall implementation of project activities and responsible for the operational and financial management of the intervention, in collaboration with mission colleagues from other departments.
Main responsibilities and tasks
● In collaboration with technical coordinators, engage in the identification of humanitarian and financial needs, analysis of humanitarian context, risks, constraints, prevention and mitigation measures
● Ensure close coordination and interaction with technical coordinators/staff deployed in the mission, in order to ensure consistency and harmonization of modalities of implementation, tools, approaches, etc.
Project Management (AICS funded project)
● Under the supervision of the Country Programme Coordinator, responsible for steering, monitoring and overseeing the overall implementation of the project, including liaising with the INGO partner in the project.
● Coordinate the planning and execution of project activities in order to achieve desired objectives and results within the defined project timeframes
● Ensure the compliance of the action with the donors’ rules and regulations, in collaboration with mission logistics, finance HR and other personnel.
● Ensure the accomplishment of all the below-listed tasks, following INTERSOS and AICS regulations
Administrative/Finance and Logistics
● Responsible for the budget management of the AICS project, ensuring control and proper tracking of expenditures and development of forecasts in line with the project duration and objectives
● In coordination with the Finance Department, draft amendments and revisions of the project when necessary and in due time in compliance with donor’s requirements
● Coordinate with the Logistics Department to ensure meet the procurement and other logistical needs of the project in order to ensure efficiency and quality of implementation
Monitoring and Reporting
● Collaborate with the MEAL team for the implementation of the project MEAL plan, ensuring proper measurement of indicators and progression of project activities against objectives, detect deviations from objectives and propose corrections
● Conduct regular field visits to the project locations to ensure the quality of the intervention in compliance with internal and donor standards
● Elaborate and oversee the project’s institutional memory, keeping written records on its development, in order to disseminate INTERSOS achievements, lessons learned and to improve awareness
● Produce monthly reports and contribute to midterm and final reports, according to donor’s rules and regulations and INTERSOS internal Project Appraisal Tool, ensuring accurate data collection and timely submission
● Coordinate and supervise project staff, plan and distribute tasks and workload among the team, and monitor their progress, achievements and constraints through regular work meetings and feedback mechanisms
● In coordination with the HR department and relevant managers, identify training needs, build the capacity, coordinate, supervise and motivate the staff, support ad hoc training sessions and on-the-job training, provide individual follow-up and coaching, carry out end-of-mission evaluation of the team members, and lead internal communication in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional developments
● Ensure proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff development and internal communication), in coordination with the HR Department
Conduct other tasks as required by the Line Manager.
Required profile and experience
● University degree in social sciences or related field
● Minimum 3 years relevant work experience in project management preferably in the Protection and/or Education sectors
● Extensive knowledge of the Project Management Cycle
● Demonstrate experience with different donors’ procedures, compliance and reporting; experience with managing AICS-funded projects is a distinct advantage
● Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
● Strategic vision, results and quality orientation
● Computer literacy (Word, Excel and internet)
● Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
● Experience in working & living in remote and austere locations
● Fluency in Italian and English compulsory
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as demonstrated cultural sensitivity and ability to work well with colleagues from different cultures and walks of life
- A high degree of flexibility; ability to travel frequently and live and work in remote environments; stress-resilient and able to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as demonstrated cultural sensitivity and ability to work well with colleagues from different cultures and walks of life.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong time management skills, resourcefulness and attention to detail.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/63371a9c560849002132dd25
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.