Swisscontact is implementing an employer-led dual apprenticeship programme for the construction industry in Kenya. The aim of the project is to promote socio -economic prosperity through development of a skilled workforce that meets the evolving industry demands, starting with improving skills for young plumbers and electricians.
Job title: Project Officer (PO)
Employment duration: 2 years
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reporting: The Project Officer will work closely with the Project Coordinator (PC) under the overall oversight of the Project Manager (PM)
The Project Officer (PO) will principally collaborate and support a dynamic project team in realizing the strategic plan/vision of implementing a sustainable Dual – Apprenticeship Training in Kenya.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The specific tasks to be undertaken by the Project Officer include:
1. Supporting Project Delivery:
· Provide support to the project team by offering strategic input for project formulation and Project Appraisal Reports for quarterly and annual reporting.
· Perform analytic, diagnostic and assessment of data requirements and support in data management and collection.
2. Monitoring and Evaluation:
· Manage and co-ordinate the project Monitoring and Results Measurement (MRM) framework.
· Developing monitoring and reporting tools for tracking of the progress, identifying issues/ challenges and reporting to the clients.
· Liaise with implementing partners in the collection and submission of required reports and data.
3. Stakeholder Management:
· Develop, maintain, and grow a strong working relationship with a network of project stakeholders, private companies, training institutions, government counterparts, national and international contacts, consultants etc.
· Supervise partnership/contract management of partners (training institutions, private sector, public institutions).
· Perform continuous private sector onboarding through marketing and negotiation.
· Facilitate government approvals (ministries, public sector to facilitate the smooth execution of project interventions.
· Share communication information with partners on an ongoing basis as part of positioning activities and client relationship management.
· Assess the potential of upcoming opportunities and leads (future partners) in collaboration with the Project Coordinator (PC) and Project Manager (PM) and complete the Opportunity Screening Checklist.
4. Knowledge and Technical Management:
· Supervision of curriculum development with stakeholders.
· Coordinating and supervising training facility development.
· Creation and supervision of Training of Trainers (TOT) and Training of Mentors (TOM).
· Support and organize promotional campaigns to attract apprentices.
· Overseeing the regular trainee enrollment and regular documentation of learnings.
· Monitoring and follow-up of apprenticeship training in schools as well as in company.
· Evaluation of training sessions and reporting.
5. Budget Management:
· Support the Project Coordinator in budget tracking, making projections, and reporting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The Project Officer serves as a representative of Swisscontact, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration, and discretion in all interactions with other staff and with the public. As required by the position, S/he also maintains confidentiality on project development matters.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
· Preferably a bachelor’s degree in engineering, social sciences, business administration, development studies or international relations.
· At least 2-3 years of professional experience – combination of development, NGOs, public sector, and private sector would be preferred.
· Additional qualifications in project management, M&E or Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) will be an added advantage.
· Sound conceptual skills and ability to put down concepts on paper in good quality.
· Excellent networking, marketing, interpersonal and communication skills.
· Excellent proficiency in English (written, spoken, and reading) with good presentation skills.
· Self-starter, team player with high level of motivation.
· Ability to handle competing priorities and a demanding workload.
· Must demonstrate a high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently and in high pressure situations under tight deadlines.
How to apply
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply with a 1-page cover letter, complete CV containing names and contacts of three professional referees (no certificate attachments required).
Please note that applications missing any of the requirements will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested applicants with all the required information should submit their applications to the Project Manager via [email protected] by 22nd of April 2022 at 18h00hrs**.
The email subject should be: Project Officer, DAP Kenya.
All applicants should have the legal right to work in Kenya.
Swisscontact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
For further information please visit