Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council has been present in Ukraine since 2014, helping more than 700,000 people with food, shelter, water, sanitation, and legal assistance. Following the escalation of conflict since 24 February 2022, NRC is scaling up its efforts inside Ukraine and in neighbouring countries to provide aid to tens of thousands people forced to flee. NRC launched a 6-month humanitarian response plan to support 800,000 people inside Ukraine and neighbouring countries.
To support the regional response in the best way, NRC has established the Central and Eastern Europe Regional Office (CEERO), based in Warsaw, Poland. This will ensure a centralised structure in proximity to the crisis and will provide coordinated support, management, advice and oversight to the country operations. The regional office is responsible for the strategic development of NRC programming in the region by maximizing the support to and the development of Country Offices (COs) as well as by exploring and creating synergies among COs. The Regional Programme Department is focused on research, policies, guidance & procedures, evidence and learning, capacity building, programme quality and donor relations.
Duties & Responsiblities
The purpose of the Market Systems Adviser position is to drive the creation of programmes that make key market systems work better for the people NRC serves. The position holder will provide market systems technical leadership on the strategic development and management of market system programs from new business development to technical support for implementation and close out.
NRC Ukraine and neighbouring operations are well positioned to grow their market based programming portfolios, presenting exciting potential for the position holder’s leadership role to grow in influence and impact. Globally, this position represents an exciting opportunity to lead strategic thinking that pushes the boundaries of conventional NRC programming practice through its application of the systems thinking.
Below is a summary responsibilities, please download Job Descriptionfor further details.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist and support implementation of the market systems portfolio according to established plans of action
- Implement independently procedures and activities within the market systems portfolio as delegated
- Develop and maintain knowledge and skills required for the assigned area of work in which humanitarian assistance is being provided, in order to be most effective in assisting the project implementation and the team
- Use initiative in day-to-day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work
- Ensure proper collection and filing of documents
- Contribute to review and advise on adaptations and adjustments of program strategies, approaches and activities for growth and sustainability
- Participate in country level business development activities to secure resources for programs, influence stakeholders and create an enabling environment for success
- Work with the program management and senior country leadership team for support coordination, planning, writing and timely submission of key strategic documents, such as the annual plans, budgets, reports, and other ad-hoc strategy documents
Skills & Experience
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in Agricultural Economics, International Development, International Relations, Business Management or another relevant field highly preferred.
- 5-7 years of field experience in systems programming with a focus on markets required. At least 3 years of experience in a management role.
- Experience directly building partnerships with the private sector to increase opportunities for displacement affected people.
- Experience in multi-stakeholder engagement, building value propositions in both peri-urban and rural programming.
- Strong strategic thinker with demonstrated capacity to translate concepts into action, with proven ability to be accountable for all components of the program.
- Previous experience in working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Willingness to work in demanding, stressful situations under difficult living conditions with respect for basic security rules.
- Fluency in English, literacy in Ukrainian, Russian and/or other Central and Eastern European languages an advantage.
- Curiosity about the root causes of market failure, and instinctive ability to compile multi-actor collaborations in response
- Ability to enthuse diverse external and internal actors with multiple incentives around a common plan
- Ability to network, quickly to generate social capital, and make the deal
- Substantial experience working on market systems in a humanitarian and/or development context
- Competent in building networks, strong problem-solving skills, and ability to influence with effective listening, persuasion, negotiation, and other techniques.
What We Offer
- Duty Station: Warsaw, Polamd with 30% travel.
- Contract: 12 months.
- NRC’s Salary Scale: NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Applications will be reviewed on ongoing basis. Due to large response, NRC will not provide feedback to those candidates who do not meet criteria and/or not follow the application process.
How to apply
Closing date: 9/21/2022