International Organization for Migration
Position Title: Regional Programme Officer (Labour Migration and Social Inclusion (LMI))
Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 31 August 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second-tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Policy and Liaison Officer (RPLO) at the Regional Office (RO) for West and Central Africa and direct supervision of the Senior Regional Labour Migration and Social Inclusion Specialist (RTS LMI); and, in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters and the Country Offices in West and Central Africa, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for contributing to and providing technical support for the development and coordination of regional programmes under the portfolio of Labour Migration and Social Inclusion (LMI) at the Regional Office for West and Central Africa based in Dakar, Senegal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the LMI RTS to support the implementation of regional projects coordinated through RO Dakar, assisting with the tracking of budgetary, administrative, and technical aspects and checking that they are in line with IOM’s policies and procedures; notably the MIRAC project on Migration and Trade in West Africa which is managed by the LMI RTS in RO Dakar.
- Support the LMI RTS by researching opportunities that further enhance the LMI portfolio, draft segments of project proposals, and analyze emerging trends, etc.
- In close coordination with the LMI RTS and Project Managers at the country level, contribute to the review of interim and final project reports based on programme objectives, work plans, and timelines set by project agreements to facilitate timely endorsement and submission to donor.
- Support the implementation of initiatives related to strengthening labour migration management and diaspora engagement in West and Central Africa, and participate in relevant meetings and events as required.
- Research and document emerging labour migration trends, draft briefs, proposals and other written materials to facilitate resource mobilization and other strategic engagements with key partners, including donors and government entities.
- Keep track of LMI focal points in the region and backstop the coordination of regional and multi-country projects managed by designated country missions; support the organization of regional capacity-building activities under the LMI portfolio.
- Support knowledge management on the LMI portfolio and facilitate exchanges between Country Offices, including through a regular monitoring of existing online platforms (MS Teams, etc.).
- Backstop the coordination of various LMI initiatives, including those requiring the inputs of other ROs, LMI divisions in HQ and other IOM Country and Regional offices.
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Science, International Relations, Law, Migration studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience at IOM and/or other UN agencies is a strong advantage;
- Experience in areas relevant to labour migration;
- Experience liaising with governmental authorities, other national/ international institutions and non-governmental organizations (NGOs);
- Experience with handling confidential data;
- Experience in regional coordination; and,
- Prior work experience in the region and understanding of regional issues and trends.
- Demonstrated analytical and writing skills;
- Good knowledge of human and financial resources management; and
- Good understanding of regional migration trends and dynamics.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, and/or local languages is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 31 August 2022.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 18.08.2022 to 31.08.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Closing date: 8/31/2022