Syria Justice and Accountability Centre
The Syria Justice and Accountability Centre (SJAC) is seeking a graduate student, or recent graduate, for a paid research fellowship for the summer and upcoming 2022-2023 academic year. Applicants interested in a fellowship for only the summer and fall semester will also be considered. The Research Fellow will provide research assistance and draft articles and reports on human rights in Syria and related justice processes. Successful applicants will be passionate about human rights and have the ability to research and write on assigned topics as well as identify and pitch new areas of research relevant to SJAC’s mission.
The Research Fellow will work 15-20 hours per week beginning June 2022 and be paid at the rate of $20.00/hour. SJAC is accepting remote applications for this position. Applicants based in the Washington, DC area will have the option of working from SJAC’s DC office.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research concerning transitional justice and human rights. Research topics may include housing, land, and property rights, enforced disappearance, and Syrian perspectives on justice.
- Support the writing of SJAC’s human rights and transitional justice reports and short-form analysis.
Skills and Experience
- Current student in, or recent graduate of, an MA or PhD program focused on international affairs, Middle East studies, conflict resolution, or related fields. Current law students in, or recent graduate of, a legal studies program will also be considered.
- Recent graduates holding a BA who have significant research experience may also be considered.
- Experience working in or knowledge of the Middle East and the Syrian context.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Professional proficiency in Arabic preferred.
How to apply
How to apply: Send a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample to [email protected] with “Research Fellow” in the subject line. Please suggest at least one topic you would be interested in researching while at SJAC within your cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning Tuesday May 31st. No phone calls.