DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant
Overall Purpose of the role:
The overall aim of the Safety Intern post, he/she will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day oversight of DRC Somalia Safety Risk Management function at area level.
This includes ensure compliance with the DRC Somaliland Mission safety policies, plans and procedures within his/her areas of responsibility; incident reporting through the department’s internal communications platform; monitoring staff movements; delivering safety orientation and pre-departure briefings; static guard management; conducting area level and site-specific security risk assessments and safety improvement plans.
Staff movements and communications; providing safety advisories and notifications and aiding in the delivery of safety training and capacity building of program staff to enable DRC Somaliland Mission operations to be implemented in a safe and secure manner.
1-Staff movement, communications and equipment issue, oversight, and support:
- Supports with reviewing movement requests, ensuring all information is complete, correct and assists with the supporting security risk assessment and issuing of safety guidance and advise, as per the DRC Somaliland Missions Safety related policies, plans and procedures.
- Supports the issue of serviceable safety equipment is completed to support all field deployments and program staff; Delivering equipment familiarisation with program staff to ensure correct usage is maintained while in the field; Equipment maintenance completed to ensure serviceable safety equipment is available to support all program activities.
- Supports the respective DRC Somaliland Missions logistics and fleet department with supporting field level movement oversight; Supports the respective AM/BM and confirms all movements are conducted and in-line with the DRC Somaliland Mission Field Travel Safety and Security SOPs.
2-Staff briefings and new staff orientation:
- Aids in the delivery of new staff safety orientation briefings to all new DRC Somaliland Mission staff, visitors, and consultants (both national and international) with technical support from the Country Safety Coordinator to ensure the area, state and country level safety policies, plans, procedures, and protocols is fully acknowledged.
- Aids in the delivery with technical support from the Country Safety Coordinator of pre-departure and post safety briefings to all field staff prior and post field deployments to ensure the staff are familiar with and fully understand the DRC Somaliland Mission safety policies, plans, standard operating procedures, and protocols.
*3-Static security and asset management:*
- Aids the Country Safety Coordinator with ensuring the physical protection system (access control, guards, perimeter protection, building protection) at each DRC facility at area and field level is operational.
- Assists the Country Safety Coordinator in maintaining the Safety departments current asset register at area level while supporting the respective supply chain focal point and area level management. Oversight on all assets that are both utilized and stored (Thuraya satellite phones and UHF radio’s, etc). Assists the DRC supply chain department to ensure that the overall DRC asset register reflects the Safety Department current asset register.
*4-Security risk assessments and safety improvement planning:*
- Conduct regular security risk assessments at area and field level, of building and compound infrastructure and area specific locations, ensuring a safety improvement plan is drafted, reviewed by the CSC, and approved prior to the implementation of mitigation measures and strategies.
5-Assessment, planning and information management:
- Under the supervision of the Country Safety Coordinator, draft and disseminate as required SMS alert advisories for DRC staff in the Safety WhatsApp group when relevant and significant security incidents occur, or elevated threat levels are reported.
- Conduct regular security risk assessments with the technical guidance and support from the Country Safety Coordinator at area level, of building and compound infrastructure and area specific locations, ensuring a safety improvement plan is drafted, reviewed, and approved prior to the implementation of mitigation measures and strategies.
- While supporting the respective AM/BM and under the guidance of the Country Safety Coordinator, ensure compliance is maintained with the safety incident reporting SOP and all safety and security incidents are reported, managed and followed up with in a timely manner.
Education, experience & technical competencies:
- Diploma/Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to humanitarian work or risk management
- Previous services with any of the Somalian Disciplined forces (police, Army, etc) will be a desired advantage, Certificate of discharge or recommendation from immediate supervisor will be required as proof
- Computer skills (primarily MS Office applications), especially Microsoft Excel.
- At least one-year Experience working with INGOs, UN agencies, other international agencies as an intern.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
Ability to comprehend security related subjects as threats/risk management, security management, personal and organizational security awareness.
Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 1st June 2022
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting to: Acting Base Manager
Duration: 3 Months of contract
Contract: This position is graded as (NM-K) for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId=164159&DepartmentId=19011&MediaId=5under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English no later than 26th April 2022.