INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Security Manager
Duty station: Dnipro, with frequent travels to other areas inside Ukraine
Starting date: 19/09/2022
Contract duration: 3 months
Reporting to: Head of Base
Supervision of: –
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The war broke out in Ukraine in March 2022. Since then, millions of people have fled to the neighbouring countries, raising a big concern on how to manage such an immense flux of people. In order to support refugees, INTERSOS is setting up an emergency response operation in Poland and Ukraine.
General purpose of the position
The Security and Access Officer will work to reduce the risks posed to the programs, personnel and assets of INTERSOS in Ukraine. The role will support the Head of Base in managing all aspects of Safety and Security whilst providing advice and coordination to all INTERSOS staff and visitors. The Security and Access Officer will work closely with INTERSOS personnel in Ukraine to ensure Safety and Security compliance, make recommendations and manage the integration of safety and security in program implementation. S/he will facilitate the implementation of INTERSOS Risk Management Policy within the country and ensure country compliance with safety and security will also meet minimum standards.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Provides, with the supervision of the line management, INTERSOS Ukraine mission with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through: daily incident alerts and bi-weekly analytical reports for his/her areas of responsibility.
- In close cooperation with Safety and Access Coordinator and Head of Base, conducts security risk assessments in new areas/routes and advises the line and technical manager on security measures for INTERSOS offices, project activities and staff.
- Assists Safety and Access Coordinator and Head of Base in the enhancement of Standard Operating Procedures and contingency plans, providing inputs on existing documents, updating information in tools available in the Mission, identifying procedures to revise and suggest new ones.
- Provides assistance in the conduct and follow up of incidents affecting INTERSOS staff and offices, sharing reliable reporting with the line management.
- Conduct basic training to drivers, guards and field staff on topics identified by the line management (alert system, tracking, access control etc.)
- Conduct induction sessions to field staff whenever necessary.
- Daily checks on security and safety road conditions and other security related facts to be provided to the Head of Base and Safety and Access Coordinator.
- Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the Safety and Access Coordinator or the Head of Base.
- Movement’s tracking, under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Base.
- Contribute to the proper set up of safety equipment and measures in place in vehicles and premises, in coordination with the line and technical management.
- Contribute to the proper set up and monitoring of the safe rooms in the bases.
- Identification of safety needs in the areas of operations and quickly address them to the Head of Base and Safety and Security Coordinator.
- Establishes and maintains an active information network by liaison and coordination with NGOs, UN and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Coordinate and liaise with Security Forces and relevant authorities to effectively communicate INTERSOS operations and modus operandi in order to build reliable levels of acceptance at local level and enhance accessibility to the areas of operations.
- Represents INTERSOS at security meetings or forums, as well as ad hoc meetings as instructed by the line management.
- Meet with the representatives of different government offices and other administrative and security services, often as necessary, to facilitate executions of planned activities.
- At the request of the Head of Base represents INTERSOS in meetings with communities and government and non-government stakeholders to negotiate access to the field, and prepare a full report.
- Report to the line supervisor the progress of on-going procedures and alert in case of change of legislation as regards government procedures in all related aspects.
Other duties, as required.
Required profile and experience
- University Degree in relevant field
- Master’s degree desirable
- Minimum 4 years of working experience as Security Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context or relevant working experience in safety, security and risk analysis
- Experience, based on evidence, of humanitarian negotiation (with national authorities, local authorities, non-state actors, military forces) and humanitarian access in complex emergencies
- Experience in reporting and emergency response planning
- Experience in provision of safety and security trainings to other staff members
- Previous experience and knowledge of the Eastern European context desirable
- Good understanding of humanitarian safety practices, procedures and principles and their application
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with remote technical supervision
- Creativity, innovation and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to work in remote field locations
- Ukrainian desirable
- Russian desirable
- Organisational skills
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Networking skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- Stress management
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/en/work-with-us/field/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/630f22c8613c7f0023f7dbf9/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-60-2720-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Closing date: 9/15/2022