The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About this role
The Senior Designer contributes to the visual strategy for Access Now campaigns, initiatives, events, and publications by developing innovative, interactive designs that help advance campaigns on digital rights issues — from internet shutdowns to personal safety online. The Senior Designer’s contributions create meaningful and impactful visuals that engage audiences, and bring power and accessibility to our work through striking and accessible reports, guides, handbooks and other output for web and print. The Senior Designer collaborates extensively with members of the Communications and Engagement Team in producing web-based interfaces with optimized user experience for the organization’s online presence.
The Senior Designer operates within the Design and Creative Production Team, part of the Communications and Engagement Team on the Advocacy Arm of the organization. The Senior Designer reports through the Head of Design and Creative Production, and works closely with the Full Stack Engineer and Web Content Coordinator. This role also works directly with team members from across the organization.
What you will do
- Produce and deliver compelling graphic design content and products, especially in the form of social media graphics and audio visual content, visually engaging email designs, easy-to-digest infographics, captivating reports, digital and physical posters and flyers, and more
- Develop long-term design, branding, and visual assets to communicate Access Now’s brand, and build out our open-licensed digital rights graphics library for both the team and our community to access and use
- Create visual strategies for our issue areas and campaigns, such as artificial intelligence, spyware, facial recognition, content governance, and digital security
- Coordinate responses to urgent requests for graphic design and visual elements
- Support web development needs for Access Now’s website and other presences, including rapid design and deployment of web page layout and campaign sites
- Develop and create graphics, icons, visual elements, typography, interface design for Access Now’s online presence
- Support the development of multimedia content such as explainer videos
- Assist in global implementation of the annual RightsCon summit series
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills, education, and mindset you will bring
You are an experienced, passionate, and experimental creative, able to lead Access Now’s visual design work, and bring the following:
- Exceptional creative and experimental graphic design and digital content creation skills
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite applications, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, and Premiere
- Rich experience in wireframing and prototyping tools, such as Figma and Balsamiq
- Skilled in crafting presentation materials with Google Workspace and Office
- Competent in working with CMS, especially WordPress
- Knowledgeable of HTML, CSS, and front-end best practices
- Experienced in web accessibility compliance
- Skilled in video and multimedia production and editing
- Versed in agile design process and the creative industry
- Comfortable with tackling challenges swiftly and effectively in the fast-changing phases of projects
- Strength in communicating with a wide range of people from around the world
- Possess great cultural understanding, in order to drive inclusion and respect, across relevant international digital rights issue
- Fluency in English (required); ability to work in or provide design support in Spanish, French, or Arabic (desired)
- Appropriate education and work experience, including a bachelor or master degree equivalent in Communications, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, or a related field
This is a full-time position, with preference for North America/Latin America. The successful candidate must possess the right to work in the location in which they will be based. At this time most Access Now Team Members are working through hybrid office arrangements, combining remote at-home work with intermittent use of offices and/or co-working spaces.
Access Now offers competitive compensation – in line with skills, preparation, and depth of experience – and benefits packages that align with our regional and office presences. Examples of anticipated, initial placement within the salary range for this role include:
- $4,975 CAD gross monthly (Canada-Ont)
- $4,000 USD gross monthly (Costa Rica)
- $8,000 SGD gross monthly (Singapore)
- $6,025 USD gross monthly (United States)
Benefits for this specific role are tied to the location, and will vary. Regardless of location, all Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Access to supplemental health care insurance policies
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Snaphunt, Zip Recruiter), be sure that you are going through the application link in BambooHR so that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.