International Organization for Migration
Position Title: Senior Programme Manager (Immigration and Border Health Management)
Duty Station: Male, Maldives
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 17 October 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director for Asia and the Pacific in Bangkok, Thailand and the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Sri Lanka and Maldives, and in coordination with the relevant Units in RO Bangkok and Headquarters (HQ), the Senior Programme Manager (Immigration and Border Health Management) will be responsible for the development, planning, implementation, financial oversight, coordination and the monitoring and evaluation of the project to “Enhance Border Management Capacity for Responding to Infectious Diseases in Southwest Asia”.
The project is designed to support secure and safe operations at Points of Entries (PoEs) to augur international travel, boost traveler confidence and prompt a return to pre-pandemic levels of cross-border mobility; the project will address gaps in passenger processing and health screening systems through a combination of new technology, infrastructure, procedures, training, and renovation works.
This will streamline the management of traveller information, reduce waiting times, implement contactless processes and procedures by border control personnel. The project will also institute infection prevention measures and emergency response modalities and guarantee the safe disposal of potentially hazardous medical waste at PoEs, resulting in a safe environment for staff, travellers and crew while reducing harmful environmental and health impacts.
The project intends to strengthen overall border management capacities of the host government/s to prevent the spread of infectious diseases that would otherwise impede the revitalization of human mobility.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Set-up, manage, coordinate and ensure the timely and successful implementation of IOM Maldives IBM Unit’s projects and activities, and develop, implement and monitor the project activities. Advise the Chief of Mission on the implications of established programme policies and needs, on plans, priorities and strategic objectives, and on developments in the field of migration and related governmental policies affecting the work of IOM.
- Exercise financial, operational, programmatic and administrative management responsibility for projects/programmes assigned, and serve as the key focal point for relevant IOM Units in Sri Lanka, Regional Office (RO), governmental authorities, donors and project partners on all project related matters.
- In line with project oversight and management responsibilities, manage and supervise the work of staff, including project managers, oversee and assess budget implementation, and make adjustments as necessary; ensure regular updates and timely reporting requirements are met in accordance with donor requirements, IOM policies and practices.
- Oversee the daily work and functions of the project implementation team including Consultants performing specific tasks in the framework of the project, prepare correspondence on project issues, various reports, briefing notes, statistical analyses and other strategic documents.
- Provide advice and coordinate with relevant government authorities and technical experts/Consultants for the preparation of technical specifications, design documents, and concept notes relevant to the project. Represent IOM at policy, technical and other high-level workshops, trainings, meetings, conferences, international dialogue events, and gatherings of Member States from the South Asian region and beyond in coordination with the relevant CoMs.
- In coordination with the CoM, represent IOM and act as a primary focal point in strategic and technical meetings in the framework of the project as well as project-related events and support CoM and Senior Management in communications with the host government (Maldives and Sri Lanka), as well as other stakeholders and partners of the project, including donor liaison.
- Develop, establish, strengthen and maintain strategic coordination with host government and provide authoritative technical, programmatic and policy advice, support, capacity-building and coordination for effective implementation of IBM activities in Maldives and Sri Lanka.
- Promote inter-state and inter-agency thematic dialogue on border management, curbing irregular migration, trafficking in persons, other transnational crimes and border health in the indo-pacific region and/or regional consultative processes.
- Coordinate the project activities with sister United Nations (UN) Agencies to avoid duplication of efforts while mobilizing the required technical guidance and in particular with the World Health Organization in Maldives and Sri Lanka to ensure project’s compliance with the international Travel Health Guidelines and standards.
- Develop Project Information Management Systems to capture evidence that enables policy improvements by the host government;
- Ensure that the project is properly integrated into the host governments’ Migration Governance priorities.
- Undertake duty travel to provide advice and guidance to Implementing Partners, project staff, local authorities and donors, to achieve project/programme objectives, and to resolve issues.
- Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Migration-Related Studies, Public Relations, Social Science or related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Thematic experience, expertise and knowledge in the migration governance field with a focus on IBM thematic areas, including integrated border management, points of entry passenger screening, border health and capacity building/facilities improvement;
- Experience in conceptualizing, implementing and managing complex technical capacity building initiatives in the area of Immigration and Border Management, experience in introduction and application of new border technologies an asset;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and UN in South Asia considered an advantage;
- Experience in IBM project development and knowledge of monitoring and evaluation and experience with donor liaising;
- Experience in migration policy development and roll-out, and strategic planning processes;
- Experience with IOM’s administrative structures, rules, processes and practices.
- Demonstrated expertise in the thematic area relevant to border management including integrated border management.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization, migration health in particular.
- Sound knowledge of IOM policies and programming.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of multifaceted migration management interventions, especially in South Asian countries in general would be considered an advantage.
- Deep understanding of international and national migration frameworks and capacity to frame their operationalization.
- Sound management capability and experience.
- Good level of computer literacy.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Fluency of Sinhala and/or Dhivehi is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE, via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 October 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 326 Senior Programme Manager (Immigration and Border Health Management)
(P4) Male, Maldives (57778175) Released
Posting: Posting NC57778176 (57778176) Released