International Rescue Committee
The External Relations (ER) department includes private fundraising, marketing & communications and advocacy. ER’s goal is to mobilize external audiences to raise funding to meet core organization needs deliver programs that support our clients to recover and gain control of their lives; influence policy changes to improve outcomes for our clients; and build and grow our global brand.
The Strategy & Planning (S&P) team is responsible for supporting ER to advance our ambitious global strategy, driving impact and strategic change. The S&P team works with leadership to (1) define ER’s strategic goals and associated plans, (2) monitor progress towards them, and (3) lead strategic projects that address barriers or pursue opportunities to advance our ER strategy. Examples of strategic projects include facilitating decision making on when to enter new fundraising markets; defining a business case for our operations in specific markets; improving processes to strengthen the donor experience and financial accounting.
The Strategy Manager will be expected to lead strategic projects, developing solutions that solve complex problems and delivering high quality results at a fast pace, in partnership with senior global leaders. This role requires a high level of personal initiative, strong interpersonal skills, sharp problem-solving skills, the desire to be positively disruptive, and the ability to work well in a multicultural, dynamic environment.
- Lead strategic projects, under the supervision of the Senior Manager or Director of Strategy & Planning
- Effectively and independently manage workplans and make progress towards project objectives with pace, surfacing and quickly resolving risks and roadblocks
- Conduct rigorous analysis and stakeholder interviews to gather needs, concerns and perspectives
- Generate actionable insights and recommendations, informed by analysis, best practices, and an understanding of the IRC and the challenges and opportunities we face
- Confidently present analysis and recommendations to global leaders to facilitate decision-making and alignment
- Collaborate closely with global mid-level leaders, building trusted relationships, making recommendations that account for their needs, and influencing them to act
- Promote a positive, collaborative, and efficient working environment where colleagues enjoy working with each other, and feel inspired to grow and develop in new ways
- 3-4 years’ work experience in a strategy, consulting, or project management role
- Experience in solving complex organizational problems and implementing strategicchange
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Solutions-oriented and able to drive results independently
- Strong organizational and time-management skills – proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time
- Strong analytical skills – analyze, interpret, and translate quantitative data into actionable insights
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills – breakdown complex problems and identify potential solutions that tackle the root of the issue
- Ability to structure a clear story that drives decision-making and fosters consensus – distill insights and recommendations into a clear, structured, and compelling narrative (often in Powerpoint)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – communications are clear, concise and tailored to the relevant audience
- Strong meeting facilitation and presentation skills
- Highly collaborative and effective in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure
- Adaptable and able to respond enthusiastically and positively to ambiguity
- Outwardly demonstrates’ team values: committed, purposeful, objective, positively disruptive, inclusive and supportive
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite, especially Powerpoint and Excel
Preferred experience & skills:
- Knowledge of private fundraising, communication, and advocacy
- Experience at a humanitarian or development organization
- Standard office working environment
- Hybrid in-person and remote working environment, where individual is responsible for at-home workspace and may be required to share office workspace.
- Some domestic or international travel
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
How to apply
Closing date: 11/28/2022